Biotest

Hungry on the V-Diet


#1

1/24/10

Today is day 5. Yesterday, I was not hungry enough to where I “needed” the bedtime shake, so I fell asleep on the couch. I woke up two hours later around 2AM and drank it, although I was not starving. Today, when I woke up at 10AM I was VERY hungry. I got out of bed at 11AM and had my first shake. 1 hour later I was starving! So,I had the lunch shake early. About an hour later I was hungry again! I was able to wait another hour and then I had my snack shake. I thought I was not supposed to be hungry on this diet. Why am I so hungry? Should I add an extra scoop to the snack shake for a total of two scoops or what can I do?


I also wanted to mention that I am taking other supplements as well along with the V-Diet that should fall within the guidelines. Here is the list:

  1. NOW Resveratrol 500mg (2x daily)
  2. NOW Curcumin 665mg (3x daily)
  3. Himalaya LiverCare 375mg (2x daily)
  4. Himalaya Karela Bitter Melon 250mg (2x daily)
  5. ON Opti-Men Multivitamin (1 serving daily)
  6. ON ZMA 490.5mg (1 bedtime serving)
  7. HCGenerate 1323mg (5x per day)
  8. Jack3d (1 scoop before workout, optional)

2nd Question: Would any of these supplements interfere with the V-Diet?


#2

Hunger: All I can tell you is that the #1 complaint of V-Dieters is that they’re “too full.” The V-Diet has you hyper-nourished. Sure, the cals are low (it’s a diet, after all) but you should be having food (shakes) every 3 hours or so, plus an extra on workout day (Surge.)

This may simply be what I call a “suck it up” moment. You’re on a diet. You may hungry sometimes. Suck it up. :wink:

And don’t skip shakes anymore. For best results, follow the plan.

As for the supplements, I don’t see anything that would add calories, that would be a no-no, though if you’re following the V-Diet plan a couple of those aren’t needed, like a multivitamin. Won’t hurt though. Also, NO2 supplements are pretty worthless. You could dump that if you wanted to save some dough.


#3

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Hunger: All I can tell you is that the #1 complaint of V-Dieters is that they’re “too full.” The V-Diet has you hyper-nourished. Sure, the cals are low (it’s a diet, after all) but you should be having food (shakes) every 3 hours or so, plus an extra on workout day (Surge.)

This may simply be what I call a “suck it up” moment. You’re on a diet. You may hungry sometimes. Suck it up. :wink:

And don’t skip shakes anymore. For best results, follow the plan.

As for the supplements, I don’t see anything that would add calories, that would be a no-no, though if you’re following the V-Diet plan a couple of those aren’t needed, like a multivitamin. Won’t hurt though. Also, NO2 supplements are pretty worthless. You could dump that if you wanted to save some dough.
[/quote]

Ok, I’ll drop the multivitamin and the NO2. No problem.

Next Question: I was really hungry after my snack shake and I began wondering about what I could do to fill me up without adding calories or stimulants. There are these calorie free noodles call “Miracle Noodles.” They contain 0 calories, 0 carbs, 0 protein per packet. There is also a pasta sauce made by Walden Farms that contains 0 calories, 0 carbs, and 0 protein. The only thing these products contain is a little sodium. I understand that these items have no nutritional value, however, I was wondering if on OCCASION it would be okay to ingest these products to give me a “full feeling”?


#4

[quote]t-minotaur wrote:

Next Question: I was really hungry after my snack shake and I began wondering about what I could do to fill me up without adding calories or stimulants. There are these calorie free noodles call “Miracle Noodles.” They contain 0 calories, 0 carbs, 0 protein per packet. There is also a pasta sauce made by Walden Farms that contains 0 calories, 0 carbs, and 0 protein. The only thing these products contain is a little sodium. I understand that these items have no nutritional value, however, I was wondering if on OCCASION it would be okay to ingest these products to give me a “full feeling”?[/quote]

Or… you could break the habit of always having to eat. And that’s exactly how Christian Thibaudeau describes it: a bad habit.

And sometimes the only way to get rid of those habits is cold turkey.

You’re looking for the “work around” and what you need to do is “smash through.”

I know it’s different and it can be tough. But get this right for at least 21 days and the rest of your life will be much smoother when it comes to keeping body composition in check.


#5

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]t-minotaur wrote:

Next Question: I was really hungry after my snack shake and I began wondering about what I could do to fill me up without adding calories or stimulants. There are these calorie free noodles call “Miracle Noodles.” They contain 0 calories, 0 carbs, 0 protein per packet. There is also a pasta sauce made by Walden Farms that contains 0 calories, 0 carbs, and 0 protein. The only thing these products contain is a little sodium. I understand that these items have no nutritional value, however, I was wondering if on OCCASION it would be okay to ingest these products to give me a “full feeling”?[/quote]

Or… you could break the habit of always having to eat. And that’s exactly how Christian Thibaudeau describes it: a bad habit.

And sometimes the only way to get rid of those habits is cold turkey.

You’re looking for the “work around” and what you need to do is “smash through.”

I know it’s different and it can be tough. But get this right for at least 21 days and the rest of your life will be much smoother when it comes to keeping body composition in check.

[/quote]

Ok, I get the idea. So you’re saying it will be easier to eat less after this diet. I know that is important for body composition. However, I was always told you need to eat to grow. And I am constantly trying to grow and put on muscle. How do I grow if I’m barely eating?


#6

When you are done it will be easier to eat healthier and not have to eat all the time. You can still eat enough to gain muscle without gaining a lot of fat. But as for right now you are on a DIET. Your goal shouldn’t be to grow but to shed some fat. The V-Diet is great because you can lose fat without losing muscle, and you may even be able to gain a bit of muscle, but you can’t expect to gain a lot of muscle on this diet, that just isn’t realistic. It would be great to pack on muscle and drop a ton of fat in the same phase, but you should wait until you finish the diet to gain mass.


#7

[quote]

Ok, I get the idea. So you’re saying it will be easier to eat less after this diet. I know that is important for body composition. However, I was always told you need to eat to grow. And I am constantly trying to grow and put on muscle. How do I grow if I’m barely eating?[/quote]

But you’re on the V-Diet, which is for rapid fat loss. If you need the V-Diet, then you’ve been eating too much, no?

Long story short: if your body is storing excess calories as body fat, then your diet is out of whack. It’s clearly not using those calories to build muscle. It’s spillage… overflow… excess.

It’s not about eating less, it’s about eating right. The body only needs about 800 extra cals per day on a mass phase. Maybe 1000, clean. Any more than that and you’re fat building, not muscle building.

Here’s an article that expands on some of this: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/get_big_without_getting_fat


#8

I was reading your “Ask Chris” forum on “Buckwheat Flour” blog and I had a question in response to your comments about buckwheat.

Buckwheat flour is definitely “in” the old school bodybuilding. I always thought it was an acceptable carbohydrate for dieting. According to Google, 100% buckwheat flour has a lower GI than actual buckwheat. Buckwheat flour has a GI of 35 (same as nuts). Buckwheat is said to have a 55 GI value. Anything below 60 GI I thought was safe.

Is this the wrong chart or do you know of a more accurate GI chart?

Also, most buckwheat pancake mixes (axtually all the ones I have seen) contain a proportion of buckwheat flour and stone ground whole wheat flour. This is not the same as 100% buckwheat flour and thus will change the GI value considerably.


Here is one glycemic index I found:

Glycemic Index List of Popular Foods
On Steve Sauder Homepage
Seen at hhttp://www.geolucid.com/sauderfamily/steve/foodgi.htm
Glucose referenced GI
Food GI

Acorns stewed with venison 16
Al dente spaghetti 31
All Bran 43
All Green Vegetable 15
Ancestral indian corn 24
Angel Hair 45
Apple 39
Apple Juice 41
Apricots, canned, syrup 64
Apricots, dried 35
Apricots, dried 31
Apricots, fresh 57
Arrowroot 67
B flour shortbread cookies 38
Bagel, white 72
Baisen (besan, chick pea flour) chapati 27
Bajra (millet) 57
Baked Beans canned 68
Baked beans, canned 48
Baked potatoes 66
Banana 54
Banana, unripe, steamed 1 hr. 70
Bananas, ripe 60
Barley chapati 43
Barley flour bread 67
Barley kernel bread 39
Barley, cracked 50
Barley, pearled 25
Barley, pearled 25
Barley, rolled 66
Basmati rice 35
Bean Threads 26
Beans, dried, not specified 28
Beans, dried, P. vulgaris 70
Beer 77
Beets 64
Bengal gram dal (chana dal) 8
Bengal gram dal with semolina 54
Black bean soup 64
Black beans 30
Black Eyed Peas 42
Black gram 43
Black gram dal with semolina 46
Blackbean seed 8
Black-eyed beans 41
Boiled peeled potatoes 49
Bran bread 31
Bran Buds 53
Bran Chex 59
Bread (Acacia coriacea) 46
Bread Products Bagel 72
Bread stuffing 74
Breadfruit 68
Breakfast bar 76
Breton Wheat Crackers 67
Broad beans (fava beans, fool, foul) 79
Brown beans 38
Brown lentils 21
Buckwheat 55
Buckwheat (kasha) 54
Buckwheat flour 35
Buckwheat pancake 35

I’ve experimented with 100% buckwheat flour. I bought 100% whole buckwheat from Hodgson Mills. I added the right ratio of baking poweder and half the amount of recommended salt and mixed it all together. The baking powder just adds sodium, but it gives the buckwheat flour the right texture to make into a pancake. At that point, pour the mixed flour into a bowl and add 1 cup of plain Almond Milk with Vanilla (no sugar) if you are using 1 cup of buckwheat flour. It makes a great pancake that tastes the same as regular wheat pancakes. Also, I uses Walden Farms zero calorie pancake syrup and it tastes like the real deal pancake breakfast!