Biotest

HSM Macros

First and foremost I know this may have been covered previously so if you can steer me in the right direction that would be awesome.

I just started the Velocity Diet. Day one today went very well. Super easy to follow and not hungry whatsoever…until my hsm. I realized that I didn’t know what my macros should be for my daily hsm. Should I be shooting for carb free?

Today I had 8oz of boneless skinless chicken breast, 2 cups steamed broccoli and then had 9oz of Idaho potatoes to make up the last calories I needed. Should I be avoiding carbs? Should I be trying to get healthy fats instead of carbs? It just seemed like a ton of carbs late in the day on such a restrictive diet. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Congrats on getting started!

Someone may correct me here, but according to the V-Diet guidelines, no, you should not be carb free on your HSM, you should have a moderate amount of quality carbs for sure, Idaho potatoes, rice, ya can’t go wrong with either of those.

The timing earlier or later in the day isn’t really relevant. You’re only getting one carb feeding a day, you’ll utilize them well. Ideally post training would be the perfect time for them.

According to the V-Diet guidelines, the HSM should be between 500-700 cals. What’s your weight/height?

So, if you have BS chicken breast and broccoli, that’s 200 cals right there. So, if you wanted to err on the side of caution, you could do 300g potatoes which would be about 60g carbs.

Hope this helps, be sure to post back with any questions! Even on the V-Diet, do not be carbophobic on your HSM. You need them!

The ebook pretty clearly explains how to handle the HSM. There’s a general range to total calories in the HSM, but there’s no need for specific macros. The flexibility is what makes it blend easier into regular “non-dieting” life afterwards.

Definitely not. From the chapter all about the HSM, it straight-out says: “It should consist of a lean protein source, vegetables, and a healthy carb.”

First, it’s not a lot of carbs at all. Second, carb timing sometimes isn’t really as big a deal as many think, especially if you’re having relatively low carbs overall.