Biotest

HSM Everyday?

Hey Chris how are you? Happy to say I now have someone to do this with. However he wondering wondering if it would be okay to do an HSM every day as opposed to once a week (not really the V-Diet I would think)? I mentioned to him I am going to do the HSM as RX’d however I figured I would ask the expert and see what you have to say. Would one still see good results from one HSM daily?

Thanks so very much. Have a great one.

Some people choose to do what we call a “V-Diet Lite.” That’s an HSM every day, usually in the evening, and shakes during the day.

As long as that meal follows the HSM guidelines in the V-Diet, this plan can work very well. And if foods that trigger cravings and have addiction-like qualities are left out of the meal, many of the long-term effects (healthier food preferences and the bad dietary habit removal) can be experiences as well. Generally, that means to simply keep the daily HSM wheat-free and liquid-milk free.

And if someone is having an HSM daily, then they can leave out the flax seed component of the V-Diet and probably the fiber supplements as well.

Thanks Chris. I let him know. He is pretty excited and is now trying to convince me to do the once a day HSM. I appreciate your help with this.

All the best; thanks again.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Some people choose to do what we call a “V-Diet Lite.” That’s an HSM every day, usually in the evening, and shakes during the day.

As long as that meal follows the HSM guidelines in the V-Diet, this plan can work very well. And if foods that trigger cravings and have addiction-like qualities are left out of the meal, many of the long-term effects (healthier food preferences and the bad dietary habit removal) can be experiences as well. Generally, that means to simply keep the daily HSM wheat-free and liquid-milk free.

And if someone is having an HSM daily, then they can leave out the flax seed component of the V-Diet and probably the fiber supplements as well. [/quote]

Hi Chris how are you? Just wondering with the V-Diet Lite would one stick to the same cals. and macros. as the V-Diet prescribes?

Thanks alot.

It would be pretty close, depending on how many <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/metabolic-drive-low-carb"target=“new”>Metabolic Drive someone had per day. For example, if you’re having only 3 shakes per day, you can “spend” roughly the amount of 2 shakes on a daily HSM. If you have 4 shakes per day and just replace the last one with an HSM, that solid meal would be smaller, roughly the amount of calories in the shake you’re replacing with the meal.

Food selection is more important than macros in this case. You’ll just want some protein, veggies, and perhaps a small starch, like a little rice or small sweet potato. Just avoid wheat and liquid milk in the HSM.

Hey Chris,
If someone follows the “lite” version, what type of results can be expected compared to the results expected from straight up Velocity Diet as RX’d?

If the HSM is kept in control - only healthy stuff, wheat-free, added sugar-free - right amount of calories (varies by individual of course), then I’d say it’s 90 to 95% as effective for fat loss, BUT much easier to do and less of a chance of quitting. Makes social life or meals with families easier too. Future V-Diets may actually recommend the HSM daily option.

Awesome thanks!

So I’m reading a lot on the HSM everyday and kind of want to try it. So you would have “only protein” shakes for breakfast, lunch, snack, and bedtime snack? Then your HSM for dinner? What about the milled flax seed and superfood?

You would not need the milled flax. I’d still suggest the Superfood because it’s just impossible to eat that many fruits and veggies (and exotic berries), even if you eat several solid meals a day. So, 3 shakes for most people, 1 small HSM, probably at dinner.

What about Surge recovery? Or could we add more carbs into our HSM instead?

[quote]mcwisehart wrote:
What about surge recovery? Or could we add more carbs into our HSM instead?[/quote]

Yes, sorry, and Surge Recovery on lifting days.

Hi Chris,

I just started the V-Diet Saturday and am really concerned about losing my hard fought little muscles. I do cardio everyday on the incline treadmill for 30 min in the morning before eating; machine says I burn anywhere from 800-1000 calories depending on the length of my warm-up and if I add a few intervals.

I am not on performance enhancing supplements so should I add MAG-10 20 min before cardio to preserve muscle. If so, would 1.5 scoops do it? I take 5-10 g each of BCAA and Glutamine afterwards with my first shake. I am also thinking of adding Plazma for when I do weight training. Thoughts?

I have a Diet/velocity log and would really appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Thank you very much.

I really don’t suggest traditional cardio during the V-Diet. In any lower calorie diet, the risk of muscle loss is too great. Now, if you’re just talking about walking on the incline treadmill, that’s fine, and there’s no risk of muscle loss or metabolism slowdown with just walking. With the components of the V-Diet, there are many muscle-protectants in place to keep that from happening. In fact, many people gain some muscle while on the V-Diet.

FYI: The machines that have calorie counters are notoriously inaccurate. Most are very high or at least close to wild guesses. I’d pay no mind to those machines.

Now, outside of the V-Diet I do normally recommend Mag-10 for semi-fasted cardio, whether it’s traditional cardio (running on a treadmill) or the type of conditioning work I recommend: HIIT style, short but intense sessions, like in my Predator Conditioning article. In the context of the V-Diet, it’s probably not necessary if you’re following the NEPA guidelines in the diet. Still, it would not hurt to have, say, 1 scoop of Mag-10 before the treadmill work. That’s all you’d need, and it would ease your mind. So that’s fine.

If you’d like to switch the Surge Recovery for Plazma, that’s fine too. One scoop pre-lifting and one scoop during should be all you need.