Biotest

HSM Cookbook Recommendations

So I admit it. I hate to cook. But I think my HSM tonight was a little light on the “H”. Oh sure, in name it was perfectly healthy: filet mignon, salad, baked potato, vegetables. But the steak was not lean and tasted like it had been cooked in butter. Yes, I ate it because (i) I was frickin’ starving after my Friday workout, and (ii) if I am going to pay $47 for a plate of food, I will bloody well eat it.

So, with this HSM a wasted experience not conducive to my goals, I am thinking it is time to start cooking more at home, since restaurants are hit-and-miss at best (last week’s Shula’s meal was great). I am looking for good books with recipes for staples like lean beef, chicken, potatoes, wild rice, etc. All good recommendations are welcome!

Thanks!

-FB

The Precision Nutrition books are a good start and the main ones I use.

Looking forward to what everyone else brings in.

[quote]Tech9 wrote:
The Precision Nutrition books are a good start and the main ones I use.

Looking forward to what everyone else brings in.[/quote]

Agreed. However I just got these in the mail yesterday for most of mine I picked a couple of vegetables a protein added a salad and if any sauce was added tried to go as lo-carb as I could. usually worked pretty well.

Hey FoneBone, if the taste agrees with you, you might want to replace potato (the white kind) with sweet potato (orange or purple) - they have lower GI and have a lower glycaemic load overall so it would leave you filling fuller for longer (thus getting the most out of your rare, highly valued HSM). Also, if you’re going to have steak, try pasture-fed (sometimes marketed as “organic” beef) - it’s higher in omega 6 fats. Seafood is a great alternative to red meat/poultry - low in saturated fat and high in protein and so so tasty! Finally, you probably don’t have it in abundance in the States but kangaroo meat is fantastic - naturally high in protein and low in fat (and apparently kangaroos don’t fart either --> less greenhouse gases --> good for the environment!)

And I agree with Tech9 - John Berardi’s precision nutrition is a great source - you might also want to check out his website www.precisionnutrition.com/category/articles/ (no recipes but some insightful articles!)

Good luck!

We HATE cooking too!! That’s what got us into this mess in the first place. We eat out constantly. Thanks for posting this one, look forward to reading a cook book by a fellow alum…

“The more you cook, the better you look!”

That’s a great quote… from me.

I have several recipe articles in the archives here. Just scan this list below. Several have good HSM options that fit our guidelines:

And one more:

A quick lesson on “healthy” cookbooks: a lot of them aren’t.

Low-carb cookbooks can still be very high calorie, and not all the fats used are healthy. Have to be careful.

Low-fat cookbooks are usually very high in carbs and sugar. Have to be VERY careful.

[quote]hammerhead70 wrote:
Agreed. However I just got these in the mail yesterday for most of mine I picked a couple of vegetables a protein added a salad and if any sauce was added tried to go as lo-carb as I could. usually worked pretty well.[/quote]

PN III? I saw there’s a new edition but I’m on the fence on buying it for now.

I forgot to add I also use the recipe section in Joel Marion’s “Cheat to Lose Diet” (bought when I tried it the second time) and got some food choices from Johnny Bowden’s “The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth”.

There’s also a recipe thread (as well as a whole section) on Figure Athlete: http://figureathlete.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_food_model_body_women_training_diet_beauty_nutrition/recipes_with_photos

And a thread on the T-Alpha forum: http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_alpha/delete_13

OK, I need to stop looking at this immediately or I will cave and do something I’ll regret, but damn, Shugart, this sh!t looks awesome! That’s the reason I hate cooking, because I don’t have any real knowledge of it, and everything I cook at home is as plain as it gets. I think I just need some inspiration!

Thanks for the tips!