Biotest

How's This Supplement Plan?

Hey everyone, I was referred here from the T-Nation Facebook page for more specific advice about my supplement plan. I’m curious to know what y’all think about this and if there are any specific recommendations you can make, or if everything looks fine.

A little info: I’m a 39 year old male, about 170 lbs, 15-18% bf, 5’8", and two bloodwork tests show somewhat okay total T levels (739 with the range of 250-1100), but bottom of the range “free T” levels (48 with a range of 46-224). My doctor Rx’d T before even seeing bloodwork just based on symptoms (no sexual issues, thankfully, but practically everything else related to low T) but I really wanted to see what I was able to do with supplements and tidying up my diet a little more and getting more recuperative sleep before resorting to T. Cortisol levels were 50% above the reference range for the first measurement of the day and slightly elevated the rest of the day. So, I decided to try a barrage of supplements to see what I could do. I’ve also added a TON of carbs to my diet and cut back on fat to compensate for the calories whereas before I was getting between 30-100g of carbs per day, depending on the day.

Also, I have ADHD and take Vyvanse (amphetamine) and the only reason I mention that is because Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) increases elimination of amphetamines making them not work very well and that’s why I take my multi-vitamin (contains Vitamin C) in the evening.

I wake up at 5 am M-F to workout and get up whenever I wake up on Saturday and Sunday (usually between 5:45-6:45) and either do my recovery routine (Saturday) or workout (Sunday). Here’s my supplement/vitamin schedule as I have it currently devised…

5 AM - Pre-workout
Vyvanse
Creatine HCl (3 capsules at 75mg each)
Vitamin B12 (1 chewy at 500mcg)
Plazma (15g protein)
With regards to Plazma pre-workout, since I’m working out first thing in the morning and Plazma is the only thing I consume before working out, do I need to add additional protein since it only has 15g? I typically workout for about 60-70 minutes including my warm-up and cool-down/stretch. 95% of my workout is resistance focused but I rest as little as possible which obviously provides a lot of HIIT-like cardio.

Post workout
8oz whole milk, pasture raised, grass fed
NutraBio Protein Powder - 1 scoop ~ 29 grams of protein
Collagen Hydrolysate (2 tablespoons) ~ 12 grams of protein
Creatine HCl (3 capsules at 75mg each)
Alpha Male (2 capsules - 5 days on, 2 days off)
Rhodiola (2 capsules at 100mg each - 5 days on, 2 days off)
it was recommended by T-Nation to focus on Plazma pre-workout and don’t worry about the fact that I’m taking Alpha Male and Rhodiola with a “meal” post-workout as the pre-workout was far more important than the slight difference in absorption I’ll experience by taking Alpha with food

Before lunch or 1+ hours after lunch (fasted)
Alpha Male (2 capsules - 5 days on, 2 days off)
Rhodiola (2 capsules at 100mg each - 5 days on, 2 days off)
ZMA (3 capsules at 30mg Zinc, 450mg Magnesium, 10.5mg Vitamin B6 each)

PM with dinner
Multi-vitamin (2 tablets - multivitamin) (has vitamin C and will interfere with Vyvanse)
Omegas (4 capsules at 1500mg DHA, 1500mg EPA, 300mg DPA total)

PM before bed
Melatonin “Advanced”/controlled release (1-3 pills at 10mg each)
Thorne Vitamin D3 (1 capsule at 5000 IU)
Res-V (3 capsules at 200mg each)
Boron (2 capsules at 2mg each)
Egg Protein shake (25g protein)

So… any feedback on the questions I asked above or any other recommendations or does this look pretty solid?

How’re you feeling after doing this? Going high carb, especially after being long carb for a while can mess with energy levels and cause some short-term water weight gain.

If you’re having problems, Indigo-3G is ideal for this situation. As a nutrient partitioner, it helps to retrain the body to better process carbs.

Nope, Plazma is perfect by itself. It is “only” 15g protein per scoop, but it’s all casein hydrolysate, which is absorbed more efficiently than other protein sources. (It has to do with how the aminos are absorbed into the digestive system and put to use actually repairing/building muscle).

Looks pretty good otherwise. The only thing that really popped out is that I’d take the creatine caps all at once to get a higher dosage, but even then, you’re not really taking much at all. That’s one problem with capsules instead of the powdered form, they’re an inefficient way to get an effective dose. You want at least 2-3 grams (2,000-3,000mg) to see benefits and you’re getting a tiny fraction of that.

You might also want to check out the T Replacement forum to get more feedback specifically about your bloodwork and approach.

That’s supposed to say 750mg x 3 capsules for a total of 2250mg per dose with two total doses (1 pre, 1 post) - so 4500mg total per day. As an aside, I’m finishing those capsules this week and I’ve already ordered Biotest’s creatine monohydrate. Would you recommend 5g of creatine mono before and after workout as the label says I can @Chris_Colucci? Or more than that? I’m not a big guy, only 170 lbs.
As for how I feel… Well, I’ve been napping a lot more. Like… NEEDING a nap. Usually once a day but if I can manage 2 (which is tough with a full time job, 2 kids, and a wife) I absolutely go for it. It’s hard to tell if I’ve put on any water weight as in addition to reducing fat and increasing carbs, I’ve also been trying to increase my calories a bit and the increase in food quantity (thanks to the fat --> carbs conversion + increased calorie intake) is likely making me heavier on the scale. I’m also trying to drink more water as well. So… who knows?
During the workout, honestly, I’m not noticing any difference at all with Plazma which is strange. I really thought I would.
On the upside, I’ve managed to figure out a way to mix it without using the giant lab-quality jub that comes with it. I use a large shaker cup with a wire mixer thing and just swirl one scoop with 8oz of water. Then I add the flavoring and 9 oz of water and continue swirling. That creates some bubbles but only about .5-1" worth. After that, I put it in the fridge over night and get it out in the morning. It’s completely in solution with few, if any, bubbles at that point. I give it a (likely unnecessary) swirl or two and head to the garage (where I work out) and start sipping.