Biotest

How To Weigh & Measure

On the V-Diet it’s important to monitor progress. Here’s the best way:

1. Scale Weight

The numbers on the scale don’t actually tell us that much. After all, if you lose five pounds of fat and replace it with five pounds of muscle, the scale won’t show any changes, yet that flip-flop in body composition will make a dramatic visual difference. Still, it’s helpful to know your body weight.

Weigh before you start the diet, then only once per week during the diet, ideally on the morning of your SHM (solid healthy meal.)

Guidelines:

• Use the same scale every time. Make sure it’s placed in the same spot too. If battery operated, make sure it has fresh batteries.

• Weigh right after waking, before eating or drinking, after a bathroom trip. This will insure consistency.

• Most people weigh on Saturday or Sunday, the morning of the day when they have their weekly solid healthy meal.

• Do not weight more than once per week! Natural daily fluctuations will drive you nuts.

2. Measurements

Once per week, on your weigh-in day, I want you to measure using a fabric tape measure. These can be picked up for a dollar or two in the sewing/fabric section of any store like Wal-Mart. The MyoTape by Accu-Measure is also good. Measure, unflexed:

• Around the largest part of your belly/love-handle area
  • Upper leg (thigh)
  • Lower leg (calf)
  • Chest: Across nipple line
  • Between belly button and nipple line (upper abs area)
  • Shoulders
  • Upper arm
  • Neck

Write these numbers down, along with your weight, once per week.

3. Photos

At least twice during your V-Diet and Transition (beginning and end), take photos of yourself. You can also take half-way point pics.

Guidelines:

• Take three photos: front, side, back.

• Take in the same location every time, wearing the same clothes (or none.)

• No flexing, sucking in, or lighting manipulation.

• Option: One flexed pic is fine, but only after you take the three mandatory photos.

With three different ways to measure progress, you can easily access your results and stay motivated.

Questions?

Ask Chris, V-Diet 3.0 (Part I)

When you say measure shoulders is that one complete revolution with the tape around the outside of your shoulders?

[quote]BackDay wrote:
When you say measure shoulders is that one complete revolution with the tape around the outside of your shoulders?[/quote]

Yes. But it’s mostly a matter of being consistent. In other words, if you do it wrong – or in a certain way – just be sure to do it that way all through the V-Diet and Transition.

I know that you mention that the measurements are unflexed. Is the standard measurement across nipple line done unflexed? I only ask as my measurement gets a nice boost when I flex my lats. I don’t want it to be an ego thing though, I’d just like to know the correct/accepted way to measure it when giving out stats.

Thanks

BD

[quote]BackDay wrote:
I know that you mention that the measurements are unflexed. Is the standard measurement across nipple line done unflexed? I only ask as my measurement gets a nice boost when I flex my lats. I don’t want it to be an ego thing though, I’d just like to know the correct/accepted way to measure it when giving out stats.

Thanks

BD[/quote]

If you want, you can do both flexed and unflexed. Mainly, you just want consistency. Having both flexed and unflexed measurements might help there.

One word of caution: some fatter guys have “big” arms. Muscle, yes, but a thick layer of fat. And sometimes it tough for them to mentally accept that their arms are getting “smaller”… even though it’s just fat loss.

What they need to remember is that “smaller” but leaner muscular arms looks bigger than fat muscular arms, which are larger but shapeless.