Biotest

How Should I Address the Nay-Sayers?


#1

I have committed to starting my V-Diet later this week. The thing is, every time I explain the diet to one of my buddies so they know what I’m going to be doing for the next month, the answer is almost exclusively “that’s not healthy.”

I’m just wondering if anybody has had any experience in dealing with people telling them that they are going to do some kind of harm. Perhaps someone can contribute how the dietary value of fruits/vegetables are replaced for the duration (or is that even important?)

To be honest though, they are only encouraging me to absolutely dominate this diet and show incredible results.

Thanks in advance.


#2

I didn’t bother telling anyone about the diet because I didn’t want to deal with hearing the same thing you are.

Funny thing is I told people what I did after the diet ended and I still got the “it’s not healthy” and “how can that work?” even after I lost the weight.

One guy told me I should’ve done the South Beach diet like he did because I still would’ve lost weight (but I lost more weight than he did. Baha)


#3

Another one is: “Isn’t that expensive?”

10 bucks a meal every day at work (20 days of work) ~ $200

Breakfasts and dinners cost even more. I’m almost positive that I’m saving money by doing this diet.

What I really like about this diet as compared to the South Beach diet and the like is that it’s simply 28 days; there is an end in sight instead of “wanting to lose XX pounds.”


#4

[quote]imb4 wrote:
I have committed to starting my V-Diet later this week. The thing is, every time I explain the diet to one of my buddies so they know what I’m going to be doing for the next month, the answer is almost exclusively “that’s not healthy.”

I’m just wondering if anybody has had any experience in dealing with people telling them that they are going to do some kind of harm. Perhaps someone can contribute how the dietary value of fruits/vegetables are replaced for the duration (or is that even important?)

To be honest though, they are only encouraging me to absolutely dominate this diet and show incredible results.

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

You’re getting in more calories than most diets, it consists of healthy fats and protein, along with the carbs you need for getting through the day and for the “It’s not healthy” crowd, just ask them what they had for lunch that day.

But more importantly, the results will shut them up.


#5

Only tell your nearest and dearest the details, and only if they ask. Just tell other people that your dieting and don’t be specific. No matter what diet you do, there will ALWAYS be nay-sayers.

A couple of Chris Shugart’s articles helped inspure me to keep going against the nay-sayers. Also, the forum gives lots of support to anyone who pushes themselves to change for the better :slight_smile:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1936641


#6

The first thing I normally get is “isn’t that bad for your kidneys?”

Consider the shit poured into the Average North American’s body on a daily basis, even if they don’t smoke or drink.

I usually also point out that I’m taking in a better quantity and quality of nutirents than a large percentage of the world’s population and that no matter how unhealthy the diet might seem, that it is only for 4 weeks and not a lifetime (unlike a diet that consists of donuts, mcdonald and bud which millions live on for a lifetime).

Only 2 Days left in VDiet Round 2.


#7

[quote]Brick Wall wrote:
(unlike a diet that consists of donuts, mcdonald and bud which millions live on for a lifetime)[/quote]

I hope your talking about Budweiser, and not weed there.


#8

[quote]Higgins wrote:
imb4 wrote:

To be honest though, they are only encouraging me to absolutely dominate this diet and show incredible results.

[/quote]

You already know the answers to the questions, just tell them and if they say your gonna die or whatever then just show them what happens.

People assumed I was gonna drop dead. Even afterwards they still talk shit while they can’t believe their eyes.

“You look so much better, its unbelievable. I still think it was a bad idea though.”

Actual statement made towards me. I even got my bloodwork done afterwards and had the best bloodwork of my life which was always good.[/quote]


#9

[quote]Higgins wrote:
“You look so much better, its unbelievable. I still think it was a bad idea though.”[/quote]

lol


#10

I appreciate all of the replies, seriously I do. These are also the kind of kids that “want to go to the gym with me” but never seem to “have time.”

On second thought, I don’t give a shit what they think.

Also, Shugart is the man.


#11

I did not bother to go into details eithers… and I chose also the right time to do this diet. A lot of my friend are on vacation ;). Some of them asked me question the other day as I declined a restaurant diner, I just told them I was doing a diet high in protein as this is pretty common in france and usually I just get a ahhhhhh another girl on diet ;)…(did not tell them it was much more than that) but at least they don’t bother me.


#12

I told everyone what I was doing. I made dam sure they would think I was crazy. In the end they’re blown away by the results and claim they couldn’t do it. After you tell them it was easy they freak out even more and piss and moan because they are to scared to even attempt it.

If below story is to long skip to MORAL OF THE STORY:

This one chick I know is only eating once a day because “she is sick.” It was a combination of depression (her best friend moved away) and her being a girl. Sorry T-ladies you’re the exception but I have yet to meet any other chicks who aren’t tottally insane about their scale weight. ANYWAYS… she goes on to tell me that her eating once a day was healthier than my five shakes a day because she was having real food. What was her real food? McDonalds… So in the end this girl went from completely gorgeous to looking sick and thin and me and few people are currently in the process of trying to shove some food in her but appearently she’s going to a doctor.

MORAL OF THE STORY: The general public is full of idiots who know nothing about nutrition or exercise. Or they just choose to ignore it because it requires miniscule effort.


#13

For whatever its worth, I’ve done the V-Diet 2 times in about 2-3 years and the first time I did it, I told everyone what I was doing. The second time, I told no one. A few people may be genuinely curious, but everyone else is just going to spew venom.

Let the results speak for themselves.


#14

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
For whatever its worth, I’ve done the V-Diet 2 times in about 2-3 years and the first time I did it, I told everyone what I was doing. The second time, I told no one. A few people may be genuinely curious, but everyone else is just going to spew venom.

Let the results speak for themselves.[/quote]

I agree with this if I ever did it again, just not worth aruging with the idiots to shove down pizza and diet coke but they drink diet coke because that makes it a healthy meal.


#15

[quote]Higgins wrote:
I even got my bloodwork done afterwards and had the best bloodwork of my life which was always good.

[/quote]

My mother-in-law is the head of the testing lab at a huge hospital. She is in charge of blood tests, std tests, etc. Basically, any tests the Dr orders in regards to samples via blood, urine, etc. Before she became the department head, she spent 25 years doing the actual tests.

Anyway, she was testing some new equipment and needed volunteers. I had a complete blood test done along with glucose. I tested the best you could in all catorgories including total cholesterol, and more importantly, the ratio of good to bad. My triglycerides were almost non-existant.

She used a finger prick to determine blood glucose. This method of testing typically shows higher readings due to sugar on/under the skin. I still tested excellent. The test was done literally about 2 days after the V-Diet.

The time before that, my cholesterol and glucose, although within acceptable ranges, were at the high end.

My father -in -law has cholsterol trouble and is on meds for it. I have been trying to get him to due the diet but with no success.


#16

People just say this because of the lack of solid food. When you say liquid people think of you lying SICK in bed gettin glucose pumped into you. Or when you say I just have a shake, this is small for the average joe and the immediately think you are a self-made POW

Just ignore them, they are only going off what they know


#17

[quote]Higgins wrote:
I agree with this if I ever did it again, just not worth aruging with the idiots to shove down pizza and diet coke but they drink diet coke because that makes it a healthy meal. [/quote]

It’s funny, as common as I’m sure it is I don’t think I’ve yet met a person who’s told me that their diet soda in conjunction with shitty food they’re eating made it healthier (better, smarter, etc). I think if I really did encounter it for real I might panic from the brain-fart that’s been bestowed upon me.

By the way, my opinion is to egg on the nay-sayers and let them snowball their criticism and just tell them how right they are. Then when you’re later looking better than ever and successfully changed, rub it in their faces. I’ve been doing that with smiles this whole year.


#18

[quote]Wilson1911 wrote:
Higgins wrote:
I agree with this if I ever did it again, just not worth aruging with the idiots to shove down pizza and diet coke but they drink diet coke because that makes it a healthy meal.

It’s funny, as common as I’m sure it is I don’t think I’ve yet met a person who’s told me that their diet soda in conjunction with shitty food they’re eating made it healthier (better, smarter, etc). I think if I really did encounter it for real I might panic from the brain-fart that’s been bestowed upon me.

By the way, my opinion is to egg on the nay-sayers and let them snowball their criticism and just tell them how right they are. Then when you’re later looking better than ever and successfully changed, rub it in their faces. I’ve been doing that with smiles this whole year.

[/quote]

good call.


#19

I’m high-jacking your thread:

I’m not on the V-Diet yep, but starting it soon and my brother is starting the V-Diet Lite simultaneously (insert rolleyes)…

So far he’s been the biggest nay-sayer… His main concern is the yo-yo effect (he’s tried it on a shitty VLCD, so has our mom, several times).

What are the arguments supporting that the V-Diet does NOT have an yo-yo effect? Living proof, e.g. Gus Pacho?


#20

What’s a VLCD?

Also, I’d recommend hitting your brother.