Biotest

How Do You Play The Mental Game?

Hey Guys—

I was just posting my Week 1 progress report, and it brought up a question I wanted to post in a new thread. From my (Albiet 8 days) experience, the toughtest part of this diet has been the Mental Game. Things Like:

• Dealing with Cravings, even though I’m not hungry.

• Walking by a Mystery Meat Street Vendor and catching a whiff of deliscious smelling but vomit inducing tasting kabobs … *SIDE NOTE: I live in New York City and will tell you, if you ever visit NYC, DON"T EAT THE MEAT!!! THERE"S A REASON YOU DONT SEE STRAY CATS AND DOGS RUNNING OVER THE CITY!!!

• When people ask you, “Why are you doing this? You’re already in great shape …” And that weakens your resolve, and you want another HSM …

Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated to help me get through week 2! Thanks all!!!

Ben

to handle cravings i chewed a lot of sugar free gum and drank a lot of green tea. but for me, there were very few food cravings. i would always have my tea about a half hour after my shake, then i would chew on gum until it was time for the next shake. be proactive. after week two, i didnt even need the gum or the tea.

its all about expectations. expect the cravings, be proactive with solutions.

as for other people saying you are already in great shape, you just tell them you want to challenge yourself and be in the best shape of your life.

Anger. It works.

Here’s an article related to that: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny_grok/phoenix_theory

I found a few things that helped in my 2 v-diets:

• Find a really disgusting person and watch them eat disgusting food. It shouldn’t take too long to find one. Just look at them and vow to never be that way.
  • Do the opposite, talk with or look up people who do things the way you wish you did. Someone who has gotten themselves into amazing shape, doesn’t make excuses, and is super-productive at everything they do. Having a role model helps.
  • Take a walk and just think a little about everything. Then realize that you walked for a surprisingly long time and feel really great mentally and physically.
  • With friends and co-workers, I made it easier by joking about it. I would pretend to be really angry and upset about the diet and fake being jealous and irritable with everyone. Someone said their lunch was filling and I told them to go to hell.
    -Use the absence of food to look at our society’s values from the outside-in. I would count the number of commercials for food products and the way they’re presented, listen to how restaurants advertise things and make observations. I personally found that I used to fall for a lot of temptation. Things that look and sound great, but in reality, just aren’t very good food.

So…I probably wrote too much. But hey, Good luck!

Wait a tic— Were allowed to have Tea!!! Really???

Thanks Chris! Great Article! I just hope I don’t take that anger out too much in Boxing Class tonight with the Newbies!!!

And dcolacu1, that’s all great advice! I’ve also added a few fail-safes as well:

• If I cheat, I have to give my worst enemy a compliment! (I don’t really have a worst enemy, but we all have that person we don’t like and don’t really wanna be that nice to …)
  • I look at my Avatar picture everytime I look at my phone because I saved it as my screen saver and background.
  • I am constantly telling myself, “You can do it! You can do it!”
  • I have motivational pics and messages on my phone that I look at when tempted.
  • I’ve told everybody I can that I’m doing this, and they better ask me “Hey Ben, have you cheated…?” When I see them!
  • I stay away from areas with visible food, and try to avoid the smell of food (And I’ve noticed my sense of smell is heightened…)

make green tea yourself. dont add anything, just water and tea. that is allowed. put a mint leaf in if you want

[quote]fitnessben7500 wrote:
Wait a tic— Were allowed to have Tea!!! Really???

Thanks Chris! Great Article! I just hope I don’t take that anger out too much in Boxing Class tonight with the Newbies!!!

And dcolacu1, that’s all great advice! I’ve also added a few fail-safes as well:

• If I cheat, I have to give my worst enemy a compliment! (I don’t really have a worst enemy, but we all have that person we don’t like and don’t really wanna be that nice to …)
  • I look at my Avatar picture everytime I look at my phone because I saved it as my screen saver and background.
  • I am constantly telling myself, “You can do it! You can do it!”
  • I have motivational pics and messages on my phone that I look at when tempted.
  • I’ve told everybody I can that I’m doing this, and they better ask me “Hey Ben, have you cheated…?” When I see them!
  • I stay away from areas with visible food, and try to avoid the smell of food (And I’ve noticed my sense of smell is heightened…)

[/quote]

Nice! Another trick is to brag that you haven’t cheated. It will build momentum because you know people will grill you if you actually cheat.

Also your avatar pic is money!