Biotest

How Do You Eat Flax Seeds?

HI Chris,
when eating flax seeds, can you put them in as they are or do you need to crush them first?

You are supposed to buy “milled” flax seeds for the V-Diet. That means ground up.

Sounds like you got the whole seeds, which can’t be utilized by the body unless you grind them. I’ve heard that some folks use a coffee grinder for this. Chewing them probably won’t grind them enough unless you have all day.

Well that might solve the chewing problem Chris :stuck_out_tongue:

I just wanted to chime in and say I HATE flaxseed now :slight_smile:

I generally eat them by the spoonfull with water before having the shake–I like getting them over and done with ASAP.

I buy whole flax seeds at about half the price of milled seeds and grind them myself in a coffee grinder. Doing this pays for the cost of the grinder in short order if you don’t already have one.

I put flax seeds in anything that we bake (even sneaking them into my wife’s cookies and cakes to give them some sort of health benefit), not to mention oatmeal, pancakes, shakes/smoothies, etc. I also mix them into ground meat prior to making hamburgers. This way, even when we are eating things that aren’t necessarily on the list of health foods, we still get some good stuff in there.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
You are supposed to buy “milled” flax seeds for the V-Diet. That means ground up.

Sounds like you got the whole seeds, which can’t be utilized by the body unless you grind them. I’ve heard that some folks use a coffee grinder for this. Chewing them probably won’t grind them enough unless you have all day. [/quote]

THanks Chris!!

My trader joes has milled flax seeds with blueberry. They actually taste pretty good when on protein shake diet :wink: