Biotest

Hot Chocolate

I love and miss the coziness of a rich cup of hot chocolate before bed when it’s cold and blustery out… So I figured I’d experiment. Give it a shot, see what you think. It totals out to ~4 net carbs, depending on which brands you use.

Per mug/cup you’ll need:
~1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
~1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
Sweetener to taste (I use a little over 1 tbsp of Splenda)

In a small saucepan, heat almond milk over med-high heat. Whisk in cocoa powder and sweetener of choice and continue to warm up. Not necessary to bring to boil. If you want a slightly thicker, more indulgent texture, add about 1/8 tsp zantham gum. Thickens it up juuust slightly. Dump in mug. Drink. Hits the spot every time.

Cool!

Chocolate Metabolic Drive in plain hot water (not boiling) makes a good “hot chocolate” as well. Even better with almond milk.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Cool!

Chocolate Metabolic Drive in plain hot water (not boiling) makes a good “hot chocolate” as well. Even better with almond milk.

[/quote]

I once tried putting MD in boiling hot water for some “hot cocoa” and it turned out to quite the disaster. If I remember, it was clumpy, and undrinkable. The MD didn’t dissolve and it clumped into a mushy balls. I couldn’t even pour it down the drain.

Why does this happen with boiling water? Also, what temperature water do you recommend using? Boiling water is a very, very bad idea.

Hot but non-boiling. (Sorry, never measured the temp.) Sometimes I even pour the hot water into a blender and use it to really get it creamy. Clumping usually means it’s too hot. I don’t know why but that messes up the texture.

I forgot to add a pinch of salt. I got that from the coffee idea that Shelby Starnes mentioned in his last article. He says he uses it w/ his coffee/chocomine/cinnamon combo. I also use that recipe but w/ cocoa powder instead of the chocomine. Haven’t tried the MD in it–something to look forward to in the future! Thanks Chris!