Biotest

Homemade Mayo

[center]Homemade Mayo[/center]

“Why the heck haven’t I made this before!?” I told the wifey the second I tasted homemade mayonnaise.

[center] [/center]

It was easy to make, it tasted better than any store-bought mayo I’d ever tried, and it was made with only a handful of healthful ingredients.

See, that’s the problem with regular mayo. Even the supposedly “healthy” ones you get from the store are full of questionable oils (canola, soybean, etc.) and sugar.

And don’t fall for those bold “Made with Olive Oil!” labels. Yes, it’s made “with” olive oil… and a bunch of junk oils you really don’t want to put into your body.

I guess I always thought that making mayo would be complicated or require a lot of weird ingredients. Finally, I looked up a basic recipe. Turns out to be ridiculously easy. Check out my take on classic mayo.

[center] Classic Homemade Mayo [/center]
Ingredients

2 egg yolks from omega-3 eggs such as Eggland’s Best
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
Dash or two of white pepper (black pepper is fine too)
Dash of pink sea salt
2/3 cup (6 ounces) light olive oil

Directions

You’ll need either a food processor (preferred) or a whisk and lots of elbow grease. Place all the ingredients in the food processor or a bowl except for the olive oil. Turn on the food pro or start whisking.

With the machine running or your whisk whisking, gradually drizzle in the olive oil. This should take a couple of minutes. You should notice the mayo starting to thicken. Continue whisking/food-processing until you like the consistency.

Yield: About one cup.

[center] [/center]

Ideas: Add diced chipotle peppers, garlic, and lime juice for an amazing spicy mayo. Or try other herbs and spices like cumin or curry. Better yet, use it to make <a href="http://velocity.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity_recipe/the_sauce"target=“new”>The Sauce. The variations are endless.

Note: The type of olive oil you use makes a big difference in flavor. I’ve tried extra virgin (strong olive oil flavor) all the way to extra light (low olive flavor). All good, but different.

Eat it up.

If you were to make a large batch of this, or even “The Sauce” for that matter, and put in a jar, how long do you think it would stay good for in the fridge?

[quote]XBonesX wrote:
If you were to make a large batch of this, or even “The Sauce” for that matter, and put in a jar, how long do you think it would stay good for in the fridge?[/quote]

The Sauce, made with store-bought mayo, will last a while. I’ve kept it around for a week or so.

This mayo, I’m not sure. It does contain raw eggs. Sorry, I just can’t say. We tend to eat it up pretty quickly around here!

I would think you can keep them as long as you would keep eggs. Just keep the mayo refrigerated. I would say a week to be safe. If you buy grocery store eggs, they are already weeks old by the time they get to the store so maybe shorter. I buy my eggs fresh from a guy in my area, so I can keep them unrefrigerated for over a month.

Chris have you ever made wasabi mayo?

There’s a tasty store version but it uses a bunch of crappy oil.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Chris have you ever made wasabi mayo?

There’s a tasty store version but it uses a bunch of crappy oil.

[/quote]

I think I have. I used powdered wasabi. The gel-like stuff in the tube is okay, but they add a lot of crap. Look for powdered at an Asian food market.

So I have a couple of questions:

Can I use a blender for this?

Also, how do you think it would taste if I use balsamic or apple cider vinegar? it’s all i have at the moment.

Thanks for the recipe, Chris! I never thought I’d get excited over mayo.

A blender may work. The slow oil-drizzle part is crucial though, and things can go wrong there if you go too fast.

Different vinegars will change the flavor, but they’re worth trying. Flavored mayos can be very good with certain foods.

Just made it. Kept the blender at the “low stir” setting, and drizzled the oil as slow as possible.

Perfect! I can’t wait to try some variations.