Biotest

Homemade Cereal

Here’s my latest wheat-free, no-added-sugar recipe for homemade cereal. It’s delicious, and you can easily tweak the recipe to change flavors. Enjoy.

Ingredients

1/2 cup unsweetened rice puffs (found in bags with cereal at health food stores)
1/2 cup flaked quinoa (not whole, but flaked, found with oatmeal at health food stores)
1 cup raw cashews, crushed
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1/2 cup of your favorite, unsweetened dried fruit. I use chopped dates.
4 tablespoons organic coconut oil
Favorite sweetener to taste. I sprinkled it with Stevia in the Raw.

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

2. Mix all ingredients together in a big bowl. Toss to coat with the coconut oil.

3. Transfer to sheet pan and spread evenly. I line my pan with parchment paper for easy cleanup.

4. Place in preheated oven for 18-24 minutes, toss once mid-way through cooking. Take them out when it appears golden and lightly toasted.

5. Allow to cool, enjoy with unsweetened vanilla almond milk or vanilla <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/metabolic-drive-low-carb"target=“new”>Metabolic Drive.

6. TIP: Store in fridge. The thin layer of coconut oil will re-solidify, forming clusters of cereal very much like granola. Great texture.

Makes 2-4 servings, depending on how hungry you are.

This is also great for adding to Greek yogurt.

Variations

Replace cashews and pepitas with any nut/seed combo you like.

Replace the dates with any dried fruit you like, just get them unsweetened.

Replace quinoa flakes with oatmeal.

I think I’ll make some bars with these :slight_smile:

[quote]corstijeir wrote:
I think I’ll make some bars with these :)[/quote]

Here’s the funny thing. I got the idea from this from a recipe for bars. But there was no way I was using rice syrup, chocolate chips and the other junk the recipe called for. So I subbed out the unhealthy stuff and replaced it with coconut oil. Didn’t stick together without all the sugar but it made a great cereal! So I refined the recipe into a cereal recipe.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]corstijeir wrote:
I think I’ll make some bars with these :)[/quote]

Here’s the funny thing. I got the idea from this from a recipe for bars. But there was no way I was using rice syrup, chocolate chips and the other junk the recipe called for. So I subbed out the unhealthy stuff and replaced it with coconut oil. Didn’t stick together without all the sugar but it made a great cereal! So I refined the recipe into a cereal recipe. [/quote]

I’ll see what I can do!

Made a new batch. Doubled the rice puffs and added some GF oatmeal. Might add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil before baking. Should be tasty.

Pureed dates and Metabolic Drive might be useful to transform this homemade cereal in bars.

[quote]kikimice wrote:
Pureed dates and Metabolic Drive might be useful to transform this homemade cereal in bars.[/quote]

Good idea!

I added this to the recipe:

TIP: Store in fridge. The thin layer of coconut oil will re-solidify, forming clusters of cereal very much like granola or a “clusters” type of cereal. Great texture.

Third batch, minus dried fruit this time, ready to go into the oven.

Two new variations:

Replace cashews with walnuts and replace dates with diced prunes.

Replace cashews with smashed almonds and replace dates with diced dried apricots.

I’m thinking of trying this with chopped up black mission figs in place of dried fruit.

Do you think the figs would provide enough stickiness when baked to hold “portions” of these together like bars?

Give it a shot. Sounds good.