Biotest

Home Made Chili Seasoning: What's in It?

what gives chili its chili flavor? i read on the back of a pack of chili seasoning that it had wheat flour.

is there any way to give chili its chili flavor with out using seasoning?

You can make your own mix from scratch if you know what flavors you are looking for, at the very least I feel that there should be cumin, garlic, and your favorite variety of chili pepper(either dried or fresh).

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:
what gives chili its chili flavor? i read on the back of a pack of chili seasoning that it had wheat flour.

is there any way to give chili its chili flavor with out using seasoning?[/quote]

Real seasonings have no calories or junk ingredients. I never use the packaged stuff. They add a lot of crap as thickener, sometimes sugar, and usually a nice dose of MSG.

I’ll get a chili recipe posted soon. I make it at least once per week. Check out this thread for some info: http://velocity.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity_recipe/what_chris_actually_eats

When I am in an hurry I just use chili powder and cumin.

I use chili powder, cumin, paprika, chopped garlic cloves, and cayenne pepper, as well as onions and the optional kidney beans. I’ll make two pounds at a time, divide it up and freeze it for the week.

I’ve seen some recipes use a tablespoon of masa corn flour as a thickener, but I’m wondering if maca powder might work if you want to thicken it. Plus maca will help boost your T levels.