Biotest

Hoglover's V-diet -Part III

So this is my third go around with the V-Diet and each time I’ve received pretty decent results. This go around however, I’m expecting exceptional results because of the added prescribed workouts. I must say that I’m not using the Superfood or the Leucine, but I am following the rest of the program as prescribed.

I’m currently wrapping up Day 4 of my program. Below are my beginning measurements and photos.

Height - 5’7"
Weight - 190
Neck - 15"
Shoulders -
Chest - Upper - 40
Chest - Lower - 37.25
Waist - at Navel - 37.25
Waist - at largest - 38.5
Hips - at largest - 39
Upper Arm - L - 15.25
Upper Arm - R - 15.25
Upper Leg - L - 24.5
Upper Leg - R - 25.5
Lower Leg - L - 15.75
Lower Leg - R - 15.75
Ankle - L -9
Ankle - R - 9

Ok, so today is Day 5 and I’m doing pretty good. Actually it’s time for shake #2 and I really don’t want it but you know how it goes… gotta do it. This first week has been alright. Hunger pains… of course, moments of weakness… No. I even cooked burgers for guests at the house last night.

I do notice that when I’m on the V-diet that I sleep soooo much better. I sleep deeper and I seem to wake up easier in the mornings. I’m sure there is something about that related to blood sugar or something.

Anyway, the planned meal for this Sunday is Steak and Veggie grillers at Outback. Really looking forward to the juicy steak, some vegetables, and a sweet potato. I also have a workout to accomplish this afternoon.

I guess if there’s something that I’m lacking in following to the “T” thus far would be the NEPA walks. I haven’t done those religiously each day this week. Up until a day ago I’d been working on painting the exterior of my home, so I figured I got plenty of NEPA climbing up and down a ladder and sweating my rear off.

Things are going well though, feeling lighter (haven’ weighed or even really looked in the mirror much this week) and feeling the sore muscles from the workouts is good. Will update more later this weekend.

I would say welcome aboard, but you seem to be a seasoned pro at this. I must admit, I always feel ready for shakes 2+3, but never really fancy 4+5.

I’m finding it hard to do NEPA walks too. I’d rather go for a run instead, but trying to reign myself in a bit.

In your experience, what would you say is the hardest part of the diet. If it’s the first week I should be fine!

The second week I seem to remember is the toughest. You’ve made it through the first week by telling yourself “it’s just the 1st week”. Then you treated yourself to solid food on Sunday and then WHAM!, Monday and the shakes start back up. Also, some folks experience slowed results in week 2 so stay away from the scale during week 2. Just continue to tell yourself, “this is just for a short amount of time and I’ll really be glad I pushed on through,” when things seem hard.

My challenge to myself and my commitment to my wife this time around is to not get cranky. Food affects me that way, that when I’m deprived of either carbs or calories, I tend to get grumpy. I’m really focusing on not being that way this time around because it makes my wife hate the V-Diet even more than she already does.

The other part that is tough about the diet is that (let’s be honest) it’s just inconvenient. I know I may get reprimanded for that statement but it just is. Some outings have to be avoided and other plans require more creative planning. For instance, my wife and I were invited to go to a friends lake house this weekend and hang out on the boat.

Although this sounds like a lot of fun, I know that it will present certain challenges with getting my shakes in at the recommended intervals. So I’ve opted not to go and my wife may be going by herself. Sucks for me but it’ll help me be successful in the long run.

Anyway, hope that answered your question without discouraging you too much. Let’s just face it, this is a plan for sacrifice for 28 days so you just gotta suck it up and make the sacrifices necessary to succeed.

I know what you mean. I’ve basically said to myself (and friends) that I’m just gonnaa be a sicial leper for the next 4-6 weeks!

I do miss eating though, which (I know) is all a part of training yourself out of bad habbits! I’ve already seen some results in the first few days. I was expecting it to trail off because it wouldn’t be sustainable!

After your other V-diets have you kept the weight you have lost off?

[quote]davidtaylor138 wrote:
I know what you mean. I’ve basically said to myself (and friends) that I’m just gonnaa be a sicial leper for the next 4-6 weeks!

I do miss eating though, which (I know) is all a part of training yourself out of bad habbits! I’ve already seen some results in the first few days. I was expecting it to trail off because it wouldn’t be sustainable!

After your other V-diets have you kept the weight you have lost off?[/quote]

I’ve made forward progress each time but I can’t say that I’ve kept it all off. I think this diet does “reset” your taste buds to appreciating and craving healthier foods but I still think that your “kryptonite” foods are going to call out to you regardless. I don’t believe that after this diet is over pizza or cookies will all of a sudden sound nasty to you. Still requires discipline and balance.

Welcome back for Round 3. There seem to be fair number that all started on 7/6.

I feel like a giddy school girl this morning with something that I just have to share with you all. I was inspired by bwal’s waffle or pancake experiment and decided to make a go of it myself and the chocolate protein/flax pancakes turned out great! I drizzled a little no calorie butter spray on them but I’m not sure I’ll do that in future as the ingredient list for the butter spray is a bunch of stuff I can’t pronounce. Gonna look for a no sugar/no calorie flavored syrup that Shugs has mentioned in the past. Maybe a DaVinci syrup of some type. Anyway… the pictures.

Here’s what they look like

All these are made from is two scoops of chocolate protein powder, a serving of milled flax seed and a little water mixed up. Pour in skillet, flip, EAT… chew… swallow! Whew!!!

wow… I am so doing to try this. Great way to mix it up

Day 7

9 lbs. down (181 lbs)

• looking forward to solid meal today at Outback I believe.
  • psyching myself up for my first V-burn challenge. A little intimidated, I’m not gonna lie.

Today was HSM day and here’s how it went:

I ended up having my HSM during lunch today at Outback Steakhouse. I started with an Ahai Tuna appetizer that was accompanied with a ginger/soy sauce and a wasabi sauce. I then ordered the Steak grillers, rice pilaf, and a sweet potato. I also had a house salad with the ginger/soy dressing. I have to say, this was an amazing meal and I really ate it slowly and tried to stretch it out as much as I could.

Then after doing some “home chores”, I went and played some ultimate frisbee (which kicked my tail) with the heat and humidity of the mid-south summer. After that I came home and attempted to do the V-burn outside in my backyard. Yea, I got through about two circuits and I was done. I got to the hand walkouts in the third set and just couldn’t do it.

Anyway, I expect to improve in my workouts much more this week. I’m pleased with everything so far and am looking forward to starting week #2.

Your pancake looks yummy.

Hope you have a great week 2.

[quote]Verti-gal wrote:

Hope you have a great week 2. [/quote]

Thanks. I made some chocolate MD pancakes last night and drizzled some melted down Natural PB over them. WOW! Talk about a treat. I think I will be doing this every night.

I’d be interested to know though if cooking the MD into pancakes degrades the quality or absorption of the protein. Heard anything?

[quote]HogLover wrote:
Verti-gal wrote:

Hope you have a great week 2.

Thanks. I made some chocolate MD pancakes last night and drizzled some melted down Natural PB over them. WOW! Talk about a treat. I think I will be doing this every night.

I’d be interested to know though if cooking the MD into pancakes degrades the quality or absorption of the protein. Heard anything?[/quote]

Originally posted by John Benz (bodybuilding.com)
When you subject whey protein to high heat, you permanently modify the protein structure, and the protein is denatured and so has little or no biological activity left. Taste and even texture may change slightly, but you still get the same amino acid profile as in the undenatured whey protein.

The net amount of assimable protein remains the same, some subfractions and enzymes are lost, that’s all. Raw whey protein contains biologically active peptides (eg., lactoferrin, alpha lactalbumin, immunoglobins, beta lactoglobin and so on), that have various health, weight loss, and muscle building properties attributed to them.

A denatured protein no longer displays any biological activity – which means you don’t receive any of the aforementioned benefits. The actual amino acid chain remains intact, and that is mostly what we are after.

The subfractions are often already gone from processing the whey anyhow, and are only guaranteed to be in raw whey. I consider the protein itself to be the main priority in a protein supp.

OK, so Shugs put the Kabosh on my protein pancakes and said that that actually worked against the whole “bad habit re-training” idea of the all shake diet. So I’ve decided to save that little treat for after the diet is officially over.

So I guess I’m on Day 9 of this plan and I have to be honest with you all, the thought of shakes at this point makes me pretty nauseous. What I’ve found when doing this diet is that everything is too sweet. EVERYTHING! Diet sodas, tea w/ splenda, toothpaste, etc… Now, I know I need to be limiting the diet sodas and tea w/ splenda anyway right? So water is actually pretty good while on this plan because it washes away the sweetness of the shakes and just helps cleanse the palate.

Like I said a few days ago, I haven’t jumped on the scale at all except for Sunday and that’s the plan for the duration of the plan. I try not to look in the mirror too awfully much either. I typically will catch myself in the mirror each morning on the way to the bathroom because of course you always look leaner in the mornings. From the side I’m looking improved I’d say and from about the pecs up I’m looking improved, so I’m waiting to see real improvement from the lower pec area down. Ready to shed the layer(s) of belly fat and love handle fat.

Had a good workout yesterday. Those dang chin ups always get me when on a low calorie/low carb diet. I do good for the first set of about 5 or 6 reps and then after that it’s 2 reps at a time until I finish the 20. Oh well. Just get 'em done right?

Getting mentally psyched for shake #2 in about 30 mins. Hahahahah…

Why do you try to stay away from the mirror?

I’m the the complete opposite in that regard. Looking in the mirror and admiring my hard work is part of the morning routine. It helps set a good tone for the day for me and reminds me what I’m working towards. Yesterday’s reward and today’s motivation all in one. A little bit of flexing helps get the blood flowing, and it counts as NEPA.

With respect to the mirror, I find it’s only worth it first thing in the morning. This is because with the shakes and all the water I drink inbetween, I normally find myself relatively bloated for most of the day! You end up beating yourself up unneccessarily!