Biotest

Hoglover's V-Diet Log

Today, I’m starting my Velocity Diet journey. I’ve been reading on the Velocity Diet for a year or so now and of course following Gus’ and everyone else’s logs. Of course the progress that people have made is inspiring and motivating. The rigidness and simplicity of the plan are positives to me.

I’ve always thought of myself as a pretty disciplined person but I’m also an “All or Nothing” type. So when I’m on I’m on and when I’m not… I’m not. I’m ready to see my body in the best condition it’s ever been in and I think this diet is the ticket to getting there. I know I will get tons of support from the people on this site.

I’ll be faithful to log my diet and workouts every day and talk about the thoughts I’m having and things I’m experiencing along the way. I’ll be following the workouts that Waterbury put together for Gus’s PC. I’ve got some starting out photos to post. I was going to try to put them all into one image but that would take too long for me to sit here and mess with so I’ll just post them individually.

Starting Weight: 191 lbs.

Workout Days: 1700 Calories
Non-Workout Days: 1400 Calories

5 shakes = 1100 calories (approximately)
4 Flameout = 52 calories
1.5 servings Flax seed = 135 calories
.5 serving Nat. PB = 95 calories

Totals: 1382

On workout days I’ll add a serving of Surge which will add 340 calories to the daily total equaling 1722 calories on lifting days.

Starting Measurements (inches)

• Around the largest part of your belly/love-handle area—36.5
  • Upper leg (thigh) - R-23.75 L-23.5
  • Lower leg (calf) - R 15 L 15
  • Ankle R 8.5 L 8.5
  • Chest: Across nipple line --39
  • Between belly button and nipple line (upper abs area)–35.5
  • Shoulders 18
  • Upper arm R-14.75 L- 14.5
  • Neck -14.25

Front shot. I think I look a little lopsided in most front pictures I take. Especially around the love handle area.

Side shot. My wife asked me if I was sucking in on the side shots. I told her “no, but I am pulling my shoulders back so I have good posture.”

Other side.

Back

Front flexed

Random

How did you take the pictures? I took some of myself so I could document my current diet and they turned out like crap.

Good luck on your new journey hoglover. It’s a tough program, but if you are determined you can do it. I would like to try again, but I can’t stand the taste of MD. Don’t know if is from the first go around or what. Nice to see you posting again.

Stay strong!

fitnesslady

[quote]joburnet wrote:
How did you take the pictures? I took some of myself so I could document my current diet and they turned out like crap.[/quote]

Just threw a black sheet up on the wall and set the camera on a tri-pod. That’s it.

[quote]fitnesslady wrote:
Good luck on your new journey hoglover. It’s a tough program, but if you are determined you can do it. I would like to try again, but I can’t stand the taste of MD. Don’t know if is from the first go around or what. Nice to see you posting again.

Stay strong!

fitnesslady[/quote]

Yea, the program is tough and I imagine that I’ll be tired of MD by the end of it too. I’m excited to see what kinds of changes occur. I’ll be updating today’s events later tonight. Thanks for checking in.

HL

So far my first day was/is a breeze, good luck (luck has nothing to do with it),I’ll be checking in…

-James

Good luck, man. I’ll be following this thread for sure.

-dizzle

Day 1
Monday 3/10/08 - Workout Day

9:30 am
2 HRX

10:00 am
Choc/Banana Metabolic Drive

12:30 pm
Choc. Metabolic Drive
(1) serving Flax
(2)Flameout

3:00 pm
Choc Metabolic Drive

5:00 pm (Workout)
1 serving Surge
5 g Creatine

7:30 pm
Strawberry Metabolic Drive
(.5)serving Flax
(2) Flameout

10:00 pm
Choc. Metabolic Drive pudding (didn’t like this)
1 TBSP Nat. PB
2 Fiber Tabs

Calories - 1678
Protein - 235.7 g
Carbs - 92 g
Fat - 41.6 g

The first day of my V-Diet experience was pretty uneventful. I got a late start on my shakes because I’m off on Monday’s and therefore sleep in. I’m actually surprised that I think Metabolic Drive is almost too sweet. I haven’t had Metabolic Drive in awhile and am already trying to think of ways to “dumb” it down a little or add some different flavorings to it. Thinking of getting some extracts or sugar free flavorings. We’ll see.

I made my last meal of the day a pudding consistancy and mixed in some natural peanut butter. I was surprised by the taste at first… it was good. However, about mid way through it started to get to me and I almost wanted to gag before I finished it all. I think it was just too rich. Something else I’m going to have to adjust to is just the shear volume of the meals. The Metabolic Drive is so thick and I’m not really all that hungry so I really have to work to get it all down in my 3 hour intervals.

Hope I’m not coming across as too bitchy already but I know these are things I’ll have to just get used to. I’m already looking forward to some Outback chicken or steak grillers this weekend. Hmmmm…

Ok, enough of that.

Yesterdays workout was as follows:

[b]Monday

A1 Wide-grip pull-up for 3 reps
Rest 30 seconds

A2 Overhead squat for 3 reps
Rest 30 seconds

A3 Dip for 3 reps
Rest 30 seconds and repeat A1-A3 six more times

Two sets of side plank hold for 60 seconds on each side[/b]

I just snagged that off of Gus’ PC. All these lifts I did with body weight, except on the overhead squats I held 25 lb. dumbbells overhead. I also did 45 mins. of walking on the treadmill at 3.6 on a 4.5 incline.

I’d really suggest training with some weight for the dips and pull ups. You look like you have a decent build. SO, take the weight you’d use for a 5or 6 rep max and use it for those sets; example- i am using 70 extra pounds for my dips, i can use this weight for 4 sets of 5 or 6, this feel perfect and lets me get good full reps with t he last set or two being challenging.

It is important to make sure to challenge yourself on this diet with the weights or else your body will ahve no reason to keep the “metabolically expensive” muscle mass. You do not want to end up just a smaller version of yourself, you want to change your body composition, ie loose fat and keep or build muscle. I hope this helps,

one thing my freind told me a while back (he’s also the NYS Deadlift record holder for the 198 junior class), “Wanna look like a beast? Then train like one”

[quote]HogLover wrote:
Front shot. I think I look a little lopsided in most front pictures I take. Especially around the love handle area. [/quote]

HUman beings are not symetic beings… one of my ears is higher on my head than the other by almost 1/4", makes my glasses (when I wear them) look crooked, kinda funny!

[quote]SamuraiWannaBe wrote:
I’d really suggest training with some weight for the dips and pull ups. You look like you have a decent build. SO, take the weight you’d use for a 5or 6 rep max and use it for those sets; example- i am using 70 extra pounds for my dips, i can use this weight for 4 sets of 5 or 6, this feel perfect and lets me get good full reps with t he last set or two being challenging.

It is important to make sure to challenge yourself on this diet with the weights or else your body will ahve no reason to keep the “metabolically expensive” muscle mass. You do not want to end up just a smaller version of yourself, you want to change your body composition, ie loose fat and keep or build muscle. I hope this helps,

one thing my freind told me a while back (he’s also the NYS Deadlift record holder for the 198 junior class), “Wanna look like a beast? Then train like one”[/quote]

SamuraiWannaBe -

Sorry dude, I should’ve stated that I did bodyweight on the dips and pull ups on this first workout to essentially get the hang of the routine itself. I will add weight from here on out. Also, my pull ups like most probably is a weak excercise for me, so to get 3 pull ups with bodyweight I thought was good for me. I could add some weight on dips though.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hey HogLover!

Good for you, you seem very well organized and that’s a very good sign. I can see good things coming from this!

I was grouchy about the Metabolic Drive the first couple of days, too. It’s a big shift to go from food to weird tasting shakes all day and the body can’t be blamed for having an opinion on it…

You look terrific, like an excellent candidate to diet, and your mental state seems very ready. In 28 days I think we’ll all be blown away!

Thanks for posting!

[quote]HogLover wrote:
… I’m actually surprised that I think Metabolic Drive is almost too sweet. I haven’t had Metabolic Drive in awhile and am already trying to think of ways to “dumb” it down a little or add some different flavorings to it. Thinking of getting some extracts or sugar free flavorings. We’ll see.

[/quote]

A little instant freeze-dried coffee crystals will cut the sweetness.

I suggest you eat that extra serving of peanut butter, too.

[quote]downwardog wrote:
HogLover wrote:
… I’m actually surprised that I think Metabolic Drive is almost too sweet. I haven’t had Metabolic Drive in awhile and am already trying to think of ways to “dumb” it down a little or add some different flavorings to it. Thinking of getting some extracts or sugar free flavorings. We’ll see.

A little instant freeze-dried coffee crystals will cut the sweetness.

I suggest you eat that extra serving of peanut butter, too.

[/quote]

If I eat the extra serving of peanut butter I’ll go over my calories for the day. Not sure by how much. I’ll check it out more closely tonight. I got the Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter and for 2 Tbsp it’s got 210 calories.