Biotest

Hitting Rewind on 2012's Weight Gain

Hi folks,

I’m starting my V-Diet after Saint-Patties Day. It started with a hangover but that’s the last sip of liquor I’ll be having for the next 28 days (or 42 days… we’ll see) and I’ll not be getting drunk unless it’s one hell of a special occasion moving forward. I love my whiskey so I’ll be having my Friday night dram after this diet is done every two weeks or so. That’ll be my little cheat :slight_smile:

I’m starting this thing because I’ve got it in my head that my very fit fiancee that’s been gifted with the very best genetics doesn’t find me as attractive as she did a couple years ago. My confidence has taken a hit that’s directly proportional with the size of my spare tire around my midsection.

I came here to get the support and advice that I need since I’m very prone to depression. Edit: I forgot to add that when that happens I’m very likely to eat my emotions and binge like I’m starving on high-carb foods. That’s definitely my biggest downfall when it comes to my fitness.

So on with the measurements!

Day 1:

Height - 5’ 11’‘
Weight - 225 lbs.
Neck - 16.5’‘
Shoulders - 47’‘
Chest - Upper - 43’‘
Chest - Lower - 44’‘
Waist - at Navel - 43’‘
Waist - at largest - 44’‘
Hips - at largest - 41.5
Upper Arm - L - 14’‘
Upper Arm - R - 14.5’‘
Upper Leg - L - 27.5’‘
Upper Leg - R - 27.5’‘
Lower Leg - L - 17.5’‘
Lower Leg - R - 17.5’‘
Ankle - L - 9.5’‘
Ankle - R - 9.5’’

My goal is to drop to 185 lbs before the end of 2013. (40 lbs to go!) That’s how much I was 3 years ago and I looked and felt great. After an arm injury in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu I let myself go. I’m really regretting that decision and I’m shooting to get back into the shape I used to be in.

Good luck to me! :slight_smile:

Here are my day 1 pictures (while hungover) :frowning:

Before - Side View

Before - Back View

Smurphy,

Congrats on taking the first step in achieving your goals. it is going to be a hard process, I will not lie…but when it does get hard, you just have to tell yourself how much better you will feel physically and mentally at the end of 6 weeks. It’s only 28 days of drinking nutritious and delicious shakes, and then you get to eat a healthy meal once a week!! The 2nd phase is a breeze because you can eat a healthy meal everyday.

You can do anything for 28 days…can’t you!!!

Think of how great you will look and feel at your wedding? Not trying to sound corny, because that is definitely not me. Just trying to kick in your motivation if it isn’t in overdrive already.

28 DAYS…THAT IS SUCH A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME!!! So worth it, believe me!

@Overcome77, Thanks for the words of encouragement. Food is my favorite thing in the world but like you said. It’s just 28 days. 4 weeks. 1 month. 1/12 of a year. I can do this :slight_smile:

Day 1 Update:

I planned ahead and took two weeks off from work so that I can be as stress free as possible while making the transition to the V-Diet. So far so good :stuck_out_tongue:

I had a good workout today at the gym. Fourth workout since I signed up last week. I was Deadlifting 275 lbs. which isn’t too shabby for having taken more than a year off of exercise in general. I’ll be transitioning to the Beginner Velocity exercise program as of Wednesday…

I learned today that I have to be very careful about packing supplements to go whenever I leave the house. I visited my mother today and had to leave after a couple hours because my stomach demanded more fuel.

The wife just cooked up some Brussels sprouts >_>;; I’m so jealous… haha… I have a delicious smoothie. Who needs solid food? :slight_smile:

Welcome!

Looking forward to following your progress this month!

If you haven’t already, be sure to check out some of the logs of people who’ve gone through and finished and those who are still going. Build yourself a little community and post often! It will help keep you focused and the support from people who get what you’re doing is unparalleled.

You’ve got a killer attitude, and a very realistic goal. As Heather already stated - it’s only one month. It’ll be over before you know it.

Rock on!

Thought of the Day:
The HOT-ROX label says to take on an empty stomach. I’m “eating” every 2 to 3 hours. When the hell is my stomach empty?!

Day 2 (9:20AM):

I’ll be writing here a lot… I’m on vacation so I have nothing better to do between working out, writing a book and playing video games, haha.

I always wake up without an appetite. The three scoops of protein in the morning is brutal (and it doesn’t even fit in my blender!). I always wake up without an appetite. The sucralose taste is terrible in the morning and I normally try to avoid putting synthetic crap in my body but whatever. This diet gives me zero wiggle-room.

Those pictures are hideous, lol. I can’t believe people I know could potentially see those since I’ve told people that I’m keeping a journal as well as what program I’m following. @_@

I need to reread the program as there are a few things I’m unclear on.

[quote]accidentalyogi wrote: “stuff…”

If you haven’t already, be sure to check out some of the logs of people who’ve gone through and finished and those who are still going. Build yourself a little community and post often! It will help keep you focused and the support from people who get what you’re doing is unparalleled.

You’ve got a killer attitude, and a very realistic goal. As Heather already stated - it’s only one month. It’ll be over before you know it.

Rock on![/quote]

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement :slight_smile: Since people here are apparently on a first name basis mine’s Shawn.

I’ll be posting here daily with whatever comes to mind so it shouldn’t be too boring to follow my journal, I hope, lol. I plan on writing here every time I’m feeling weak willed or bored.

Be warned: I do love to b*tch and complain.

I’ve checked out other journals. Some are encouraging and some aren’t. I frequently struggle with my weight but I’m sure that has to do with bad eating habits. I eat cleaner than most people I know but absent minded snacking is my bane.

What I hope to take away from this diet is 20 lbs lost by the end of the 28 days and then to keep good habits to continue a slow trip down to 185 lbs. I’m not taking muscle mass into account when talking about my target weight but when I was 185 I was much leaner but my chest and back wasn’t as big. I’ve never been a fan of being muscle bound as my sport of choice demands a lot of agility and flexibility. At least I won’t have to worry about that by taking in less than 2000 calories a day on average.

Bitch away! That’s what we’re all here for. Well, that, and you know, to look better naked.

As far as the eating habits go, that’s what led me to the V-diet. I tend to eat pretty clean, prefer clean, healthy foods, but had really disordered eating habits that led to weight gain and just general … squishiness. Now that I’ve done the V-diet and taken a hard look at what I’m eating (tracking macros has helped keep me honest) I’m working on building much better eating habits.

I struggled a bit with the “no whole foods, only shake with sucralose” too. But it’s only one month. I did go through a period of feeling pretty rough (couldn’t get my fiber intake quite right, I’m used to just eating a boat-load of veggies), but you’ll make it through. The shakes, all things considered, are pretty alright nutrition-wise - especially if you’re being diligent with the Superfood. No, it’s not as good as whole foods, for sure. But it’s temporary, and will make sticking to just whole-good-for-you foods once you’re done so much easier.

If you do have any questions, don’t hesitate to post in the Ask Chris forum - he’s always on the ball with answers, even if he’s answered it a million times already (also - you can dig through the archives - odds are good someone has already asked!)

Rock on!

Good luck, you will achieve your goals with determination! Just follow the guidelines and watch the fat fall off :slight_smile:

@accidentalyogi: sigh Yeah… looking good naked again would be awesome. Oh to be 7 years younger. Gotta get on top of this now before all hope is lost, lol. I found a few answers to my questions in the “Ask Chris” section of the forum already. Thanks for the advice.

@robstein: Fingers crossed I’m hoping that I can actually get some definition on my abdomen. I haven’t had a six pack since I was 11 years old. That would be awesome. I know it won’t just get handed to me though. This diet is an extreme first step to killing my bad eating habits.

Day 2 (7:50PM):
My stomach’s growling on the 3 hour mark like clockwork already. I don’t have to remember the shakes. I look forward to consuming food, haha. I haven’t had any cravings for food today unlike yesterday.

I went to the dentist today while nauseous around noon. Once I had another shake I was fine. Having someone poke around in your mouth while you’re starting to get hungry is a strange experience. On the bright side it wasn’t possible for there to be any food stuck in my teeth since it’s a liquid diet. XD

I need a better source of NEPA. There’s been a snow storm brewing here in Montreal… maybe I’ll just bear crawl around my apartment instead of walk >_>; Maybe that’s too exercise-like… whatever.

I am NOT looking forward to going to the gym tomorrow -____- My friend insists on going at 7:00am… it’s so brutal. I’ll be heading off to bed as soon as I have my last shake.

Side note: I wish I had ordered more banana flavoured protein… that stuff’s actually pretty tasty.

Day 3 (11:00AM): 220 lbs (-5 lbs from initial weight)

I broke my morning smoothie into two. At least that’s more water and a slower ingestion of food. That’s a good thing, I guess. Going to go to the gym in the next few minutes. Starting the Velocity exercise program today at the beginner level.

My gym buddy hurt his back on Monday so it’s just me today. That’s kind of discouraging but that just means I’ll be more on the ball once I get there.

Looking forward to Sunday for my HMA. A lean cut of pepper steak with a pile of grilled vegetables… mmm…

It’s day three of my vacation and I’ve barely worked on my personal projects. I hopped on the scale for fun and I’m down 5 lbs but that could be water weight so whatever. I’ll get excited if it’s under 115 lbs. There’s still lots of work to be done.

My muscles are less sore than usual when I start training again after long stretches of laziness. It must be the crazy grams of protein I’m taking in as well as the SURGE Recovery. On the other hand I’m wondering if I’m not working hard enough and the supplements are a placebo affect.

Oh well… whatever it is, working out and staying on track is more produtive than sitting on my ass pew-pewing bullets in computer games. I’m such a child, lol. <3 games. I’ll probably sign up to an MMA gym again after the 42 days to get back into fighting. It’s expensive but it’s pretty much the only thing that makes exercise fun for me. Pissed that my gym buddy’s out of commision… we were grappling as a cool down after our previous workouts.

You’ll get your 6 pack eventually, the lower your body fat the sooner it’ll happen. That’s the great part about the v-diet, just follow it and know every step gets you closer to your goal, guaranteed!

Regarding NEPA alternatives, I had to do one last week due to snow. Use body weight exercises at a slow pace, keep it non panting. You can do things like squats, push ups, jumping jacks, jog in place, up and down the stairs, pretty much literally anything, just remember that the goal is keep the heart rate similar to walking. So, avoid explosive movements and keep a good pace, non panting. I think I remember Chris writing in an article that even doing the funky chicken is a form of NEPA, so be inventive and have fun!

@robstein: Thanks for the advice. I’ll be going for a walk with my lady later… I’ve nicknamed her “Nitro” since she walks at about 6 - 7 mph at her normal pace, lol. I’m going to try and convince her to make it a daily routine since she loves walking and I hate it. At least I’ll have company. I’ll try to find the article you’re referring to.

Day 3 (2:45PM):

Just got back from the gym. I did an honest effort for my first Velocity Beginner Workout. I learned that moving forward I’ll always be going early in the morning regardless of if I have my gym buddy or not. Today was an awful experience.

I’m not used to doing a high number of reps so mixing that with the B.O. of some of the gentlemen around the gym made me go from slightly nauseous to about to puke.

B: Lat Pulldowns (Underhand Grip)
Weight: 105 lbs.

• 7 Sets for 50 Proper Reps
  • 15 Reps
  • 10 Reps
  • 4 Reps
  • 5 Reps
  • 7 Reps
  • 6 Reps
  • 3 Reps

C: Shoulder Press (Dumbbells)
Weight: 2 x 25 lbs.

• 6 Sets for 50 Proper Reps
  • 20 Reps
  • 10 Reps
  • 6 Reps
  • 6 Reps
  • 6 Reps
  • 2 Reps

A: Romanian Deadlifts
Weight: 90 lbs

• 4 Sets for 50 Proper Reps
  • 20 Reps
  • 15 Reps (Came very close to throwing up here)
  • 10 Reps (Had to sit down)
  • 5 Reps

D: Side Planks
Weight: Body

• 2 Sets
  • 30 Seconds (Right Side)
  • 10 Seconds (Left Side)
  • Started to want to throw up again and I was very light headed so I called it a day.

Stretched for 30 minutes… my stomach and head weren’t doing me any favors.

Back in the locker room I realize that I forgot my towel…
Surge Chocolate goo spilled out of the shaker cup due to its crappy seal and make my right hand all sticky…
Drank it down and gagged a little. That wasn’t so bad. (; _ :wink:
Took a shower as soon as I got home… it was an awesome 20 minutes…

I have no appetite at all now. I’m going to mix up my next shake in 20 minutes or so and hope for the best.

Looking forward to my walk later to the hobby shop. I think I’m going to buy myself a gift for a job almost well done, haha. I wish I hadn’t given up on the planks. I’ll make them up later today at the very least.

This style of workout definitely takes some getting used to. Based on the program prescription, it looks like you can afford to increase your weights, too, so you’re only getting a max of 14-16reps in any given set for this day (8-9 for Mon and Fri’s workouts).

Surge takes a little getting used to for some people, you might find it helps to sip on it during your workout and then pound the rest when you’re done. I find the added peri-workout carbs helped keep me going, and it meant I didn’t have to chug nearly as much fluid PWO.

You’re doing great! The first few days are definitely the toughest as you work out what works for you and settle into a routine.

Rock on!!

[quote]accidentalyogi wrote:
This style of workout definitely takes some getting used to. Based on the program prescription, it looks like you can afford to increase your weights, too, so you’re only getting a max of 14-16reps in any given set for this day (8-9 for Mon and Fri’s workouts).
[/quote]

Being my first workout I was guessing about what would be appropriate in terms of weight to hit the reps I needed to. I went lighter rather than heavier since I wasn’t supposed to reduce the weight. I’ll definitely go heavier for anything deadlift-like moving forward as this is an exercise I used to do heavy at low reps.

Surge takes a little getting used to for some people, you might find it helps to sip on it during your workout and then pound the rest when you’re done. I find the added peri-workout carbs helped keep me going, and it meant I didn’t have to chug nearly as much fluid PWO.
[/quote]

I’ll give it a try next time. I definitely need to get a better bottle to mix the stuff up in and store it. I’ll go shopping for that on Friday after my workout. The stuff isn’t so bad.

Question: What does peri-workout and PWO mean?

You’re doing great! The first few days are definitely the toughest as you work out what works for you and settle into a routine.

Rock on!![/quote]

It’s 3 days in and the toughest challenge has been smelling the wife’s amazing cooking. She made quinoa with garlic fried shrimp with assorted beans. Jerk, lol.

[quote]Smurphy wrote:

It’s 3 days in and the toughest challenge has been smelling the wife’s amazing cooking. She made quinoa with garlic fried shrimp with assorted beans. Jerk, lol.[/quote]

Wow - okay… now I’m seeing the mental strain. She eats sooo slowly and it smells amazing. I need to get out of here @_@

Oops! Sorry… We should have a list somewhere on the site of all the silly short-hands we all use (PRs, IF, IFFYM, AMRAP etc.)

Peri-workout: during or sometimes used to mean around the workout
PWO - in this case - post workout

As for the shaker bottle - I just used a mason jar, but my shakes were never more than 2-scoops of anything, so I never needed more than 500mL of space. Just make sure you get something that is easy to clean!

Your wife’s cooking does sound amazing, but your results are going to make this so incredibly worth it. If the mental strain gets too bad, take your NEPA walk while she’s slowly eating her dinner.

Rock on!

@yogi:
Looks like I’ll have to work on my abbreviations/acronyms, lol.
That’s not a bad idea. Mason jars have amazing seals.
Yeah - her cooking is awesome and it’s healthy for the most part. The damage I’ve done to my mid-section is completely my own doing as she eats clean and power walks everywhere so I should follow her example.

Day 4 (8:38AM): 217 lbs (-8 lbs from initial weight)
I’m sore today. Not the DOMS sore but my joints are aching. The little bastards are making my grumpy.

I don’t have much of an appetite so I’ve been sipping my breakfast shake for almost an hour now. It’s really not going down quickly enough. The glass is half empty (in a positive way). Amazingly my morning shake is just two scoops now instead of three of MD. I guess that’s because I’m under 220 lbs now. WooT! Anyhoo, still more work to be done.

yawn Why the hell did I wake up at 7:40? … Right… gym buddy likes going in the early morning and I’ll have to keep up this habit once I return to work.

It’s so great that your fiance is already a clean eater - it’ll make your transition so much easier, and these changes you’re making will only serve to benefit you both. Good on you for getting started!

I’m not sure if you’re supposed to adjust the diet as your weight goes down - you might want to double check with Chris on that. I never even thought about it to be honest. I just plugged in my starting numbers and stuck with whatever the program said initially. Regardless, I distinctly remember not being very hungry for a lot of the shakes, too. Seemed to ebb and flow and I just moved my scoop numbers around. I eventually found, though, that it was easier if I just stuck to what the diet said and quit being a “special case” about it.

Not sure if you’ve tried it yet, but blend your shakes up with a ton of ice - it seemed to help change the flavor/texture enough and made them a lot easier for me to get down. Also try mixing different flavors together - I think you mentioned having banana, so maybe try choc-banana (ooh, plus the nut butter at night - yum!) or some other combination to keep things interesting.

Most importantly - congrats on the results so far! Looking forward to seeing your measurements.

Rock on!