Biotest

High Intensity Cardio on Transition Phase

Hello Chris,

Day 20 here.

When I finish my 28 days I would like to go back to training muay thai here in the south of Thailand. My concern is that I won’t have enough energy with one HSM a day. The muay thai is quite intense cardio and includes a 30 minute run and hitting/kicking the pads at high intensity for about an hour as well as less intense exercise for a total of around 2-2.5 hours.

Do you have any suggestions on how to modify the transition phase? Maybe have 2 HSMs: 1 HSM pre-training and 1 HSM post-training?

Thanks!

That could work. You’ll just have to try it and see. Or, one HSM per day, one FINIBAR pre-training to fuel you through it.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
That could work. You’ll just have to try it and see. Or, one HSM per day, one FINIBAR pre-training to fuel you through it. [/quote]

Thanks Chris.

I’m not sure if it would be possible to get FINIBARs here without paying an arm and a leg for shipping.

What do you think about the following:

8:00 AM Breakfast: 100 grams of muesli (341 cal / 62 g carbs / 9 g protein) + 1 shake with two scoops and flax seed + recommended supplements

9:00 AM: Training

11:30 AM: Shake with 1 scoop Recovery

12:00 PM: Lunch HSM consisting of breast of chicken and steamed vegetables

3:00 PM: Shake with 1 scoop

6:00 PM: Shake with 2 scoops and flax seed

9:00 PM: Shake with 2 scoops + 1 scoop peanut butter

[quote]DavidMavec wrote:

That could work. You’ll just have to try it and see. Or, one HSM per day, one FINIBAR pre-training to fuel you through it. [/quote]

Thanks Chris.

I’m not sure if it would be possible to get FINIBARs here without paying an arm and a leg for shipping.

8:00 AM Breakfast: 100 grams of muesli (341 cal / 62 g carbs / 9 g protein) + 1 shake with two scoops and flax seed + recommended supplements

[/quote]

Looks solid except for the muesli - that’s got some wheat in it. Personally I’d stay away from it. When it comes to experimenting there’s only 1 way to really find out. Give it a shot and see what happens.

What corst said!

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

[quote]DavidMavec wrote:

Thanks Chris.

[/quote]

Looks solid except for the muesli - that’s got some wheat in it. Personally I’d stay away from it. When it comes to experimenting there’s only 1 way to really find out. Give it a shot and see what happens.[/quote]

Thanks to ye both.

Chris, Corstijeir, et al:

What would you go or think of as options instead of the muesli, knowing that FINIBARs and other brand name products are not really a possibility here?

As a former fat dude I can now see how something like wheat can put me back on a crave/binge but also feel like with high intensity workout like muay thai I may need some carbs for energy.

I would like to keep it as low carb as is reasonably possible (following the 100 carb a day article as a general guideline) and make most of my diet protein and vegetables and a bit of fruit. But I also need sustained explosive energy for muay thai and my understanding is that I would need to add some starchy carbs for best results. Thoughts?

Rice.

Buckwheat, rice( brown, white, cakes, flour ( all 100% rice product)), quinoa, oatmeal if you can tolerate it

[quote]corstijeir wrote:
Rice.[/quote]

I’m in the land of rice so that shouldn’t be too difficult but I guess I’m not clear.

I was thinking that all starchy foods could produce the crave/binge effect and that was why you were recommending I stay away from wheat.

Why are you both saying to stay away from wheat in that case and what benefits does rice have over wheat?

Read the book Wheat Belly and all your questions will be answered.

[quote]DavidMavec wrote:

[quote]corstijeir wrote:
Rice.[/quote]

I’m in the land of rice so that shouldn’t be too difficult but I guess I’m not clear.

I was thinking that all starchy foods could produce the crave/binge effect and that was why you were recommending I stay away from wheat.

Why are you both saying to stay away from wheat in that case and what benefits does rice have over wheat?[/quote]

What Chris said - to shorten it up for you though, wheat is bad.

Wheat can cause all kinds of adverse affects because of the gluten in it. Rice, buckwheat, quinoa does not contain that gluten so it’s more tolerable.

You need carbs, but the fear has always been all carbs are bad, but that’s not true, not even for the FFB or a currently fat person. It’s all about how much and when.