Biotest

Here Goes Nothing and by Nothing I Mean Everything

I am usually very private and do not share my weight struggles with anyone, so this blog thing is challenging in itself. I am an overweight 28 year old out-of-work teacher who got depressed looking for a job so I gained more weight. Gosh, I sound pathetic. The last time I thought I was skinny was in middle school, where I played three sports. I want to be healthy and confident and most of all happy. I have tried lots of diets, but nothing has stuck because I def. am an emotional eater.

Anyway, I am currently on Day 5 of the V-Diet. Had some pretty easy days this week and a couple of days that I actually cried due to withdrawal? cravings? hopelessness? I want to do this. I have followed this diet almost perfectly, except I have been having one less shake than I am supposed to. I just can’t drink 5 of those things a day. Is that bad? Probably. I have done all the NEPA and strength training.

I can not bear to post pictures right now. But grudgingly and embarrasingly, I will post my measurements…

Height - 5 feet, 1 inch
Weight - 173.7
Neck - 13
Shoulders - 42
Chest - 40
Waist (smallest) 31
Waist (navel) 37.5
hips - 43
upper arms - 14.5
upper legs - 28.5
lower legs - 16.5
ankle - 9

I have the weekend coming up so I’m nervous. I really want to succeed at this. I am really angry at myself and tired of being unhappy about the things I CAN CONTROL. I have to do this.

We’re here for ya! Stay strong!

You’re experiencing a powerful lesson here that’ll keep you in shape for life if you learn it well: you’re not hungry and yet you’re craving foods. Get through that, smash that habit, and learn the difference between habit and hunger, cravings and the true need for nourishment, and you’ll be golden.

And yes, it’s okay to reduce by 1 or 2 scoops of protein per day if you’re full, but no more than that or calories will be too low and you’ll risk losing muscle, affecting metabolism, etc.

If you have any specific questions for me, be sure to post them in the <a href="http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity?pageNo=1&s=forumsNavTop"target=“new”>Ask Chris thread so I’ll be sure to see them.

[quote]katedecastro wrote:
I am an overweight 28 year old out-of-work teacher who got depressed looking for a job so I gained more weight. Gosh, I sound pathetic.[/quote]

No, you sound normal.

When life’s not going well, we seek that which we can control.

Unfortunately, you made some bad moves in that regard- haven’t we all.

Now you’ve decided to take steps in a healthier direction.

Know this: if you will commit to this, and discipline yourself to follow the program to the letter, the other areas of your life WILL improve.

Some folks have to get cancer, lose a loved one, or wake up in rehab in order to finally get their wake-up call. Fortunately, your circumstances aren’t quite that dramatic.

If you do what you’re supposed to do, and take control of your own body in a POSITIVE way, then you will look back on the circumstances that led you here as a “good thing.”

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement. I appreciate it.

Today is a good day! I am on day 7. I weighed in and I am down 6.1 pounds. Yay! Prob. some water weight in there but I don’t care, I’m happy with week one results. Not going to do measurements until after week 2. I also get to have my meal today. Already did my V-challenge which was difficult but I got through it. I was supposed to do the circuit 5 times and after the third one, I was pretty tired and told myself I couldn’t do anymore. But, then I realized I def. could do more, I just didn’t want to. So I did the complete workout. I know I have to put in 100% effort on this. I can’t half-ass this and expect good results.

Hope I have a good Week 2!

Congrats Kate!!..For taking stock and realizing that YOU are worth it. My husband and I are on Day 15, the shakes get easier, I have found that even if I’m not super hungry if I stick my shake in the freezer for about 30min prior to drinking it that helps because its so cold. Also this is sooo important…My first weigh in I only lost .4 lbs, this weigh in I only lost 2 lbs…ALAS…tape measurements reflected my hard work and I am relligious about the diet and training…so just remember that it’s not the #'s on the scale it’s the ones that you leave in a puddle of sweat.

Congrats Kate!!..For taking stock and realizing that YOU are worth it. My husband and I are on Day 15, the shakes get easier, I have found that even if I’m not super hungry if I stick my shake in the freezer for about 30min prior to drinking it that helps because its so cold. Also this is sooo important…My first weigh in I only lost .4 lbs, this weigh in I only lost 2 lbs…ALAS…tape measurements reflected my hard work and I am relligious about the diet and training…so just remember that it’s not the #'s on the scale it’s the ones that you leave in a puddle of sweat.

Thanks jufram. I was really uncomfortable with starting this blog but it’s nice to have the support and help. I also feel more accountable this way. Yes, I def. understand what you are saying about the measurements. I’m hoping that my measurements next week are good. I will be really motivated if I see good results there.

So this is Day 8. Pretty good day for me. Did my ST and NEPA. Really starting to enjoy those walks. I want to start yoga too. Next week will be the challenge because we have winter break at school and I will be out of my routine and have a lot of free time on my hands. Need to start planning some activities.

Day 9.All I wanted was a bagel. But I didn’t give in. Day 9 was tough.

Keep up the good, post some pics when you can, we don’t judge here, there’s nothing to be embarrassed about. you should be proud that your actually doing something about it!

Day 12 of the V-Diet.

Still on track. Excited for my weigh-in and HSM on Sunday. Don’t know what to have yet.

A little tough the past few days. Some of my friends (and bf) are saying what I am doing is unhealthy (funny they didn’t say anything when I was eating like shit) and telling my (in a joking, yet serious manner) I will never last 28 days and even if I do I will gain everything back once I start eating. No matter how I explained it, they did not get it. They def. have not deterred me, but still left me feeling a little deflated. I am proud of myself for doing the V-Diet flawlessly for 12 days, dammnit. I mean 12 days is nothing crazy, but still! Some people can’t last 12 hours! I didn’t expect to feel bad about doing something good for myself and succeeding thus far.

They are called toxic people, don’t worry they are everywhere, my fiance and brother are the same, the same with people at work etc… just stick to your guna and ignore them. Coz fried chicken and cheezeburgers are much healthier than protein and clean carbs combined with exercise.

Every v-dieter has heard all these lines before.

Eat some real food, those shakes can’t be good for you! here have a cake etc…

Most of the time it boils down to people (even ones close to you) wanting you to fail. You failing gives them satisfaction in the way that ur fat friends who are unhealthy will feel better about them selves.

Chris wrote a great article about it.

Keep up the good work, prove them wrong, they should be encouraging you not putting you down.

Maybe when you have finished the diet which you will do ;), it might be time re asses the people you surround yourself with?

Marzouk is right on.

Katiekinz, remember, this is about you, and for you. If we do this for others we will fail, because it’s meaningless.

BUT if you do it for you, It means everything.

[quote]Katiekinz wrote:
Day 12 of the V-Diet.

Still on track. Excited for my weigh-in and HSM on Sunday. Don’t know what to have yet.

A little tough the past few days. Some of my friends (and bf) are saying what I am doing is unhealthy (funny they didn’t say anything when I was eating like shit) and telling my (in a joking, yet serious manner) I will never last 28 days and even if I do I will gain everything back once I start eating. No matter how I explained it, they did not get it. They def. have not deterred me, but still left me feeling a little deflated. I am proud of myself for doing the V-Diet flawlessly for 12 days, dammnit. I mean 12 days is nothing crazy, but still! Some people can’t last 12 hours! I didn’t expect to feel bad about doing something good for myself and succeeding thus far. [/quote]

What you’re experiencing is pretty damn normal. Chris even wrote a blog post about it here: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/little_men_big_women_1

In short, people see what you’re doing and it makes them afraid. They’re not cognizant of it though, so it’s not like they’re making a conscious decision to mess you up. Sometimes it gets there, but really, what’s likely happening is a mix of caring and fear.

Press on. Even long before I started the V-Diet, back when I was just starting to take my diet and exercise seriously, people would get indignant and annoyed when I wouldn’t drink at a gathering or a meal. Subconsciously, they knew I was making the harder, better decision, and that was hard for them to deal with.

The people closest to you will either have to learn to deal with it or you’ll have to find a new boyfriend. You can’t replace your mom or anything, but she is your mom, so she’ll eventually come to understand.

Best of luck!

Thanks for all the advice and words of encouragement. The article was a good one. But I’m hoping he comes around. At this point I am just ignoring the negativity. My family is very supportive, it is just the others. I went to parents’ for dinner last week for my HSM and my mom used the “good dishes and tablecloth” to celebrate my meal. It was nice to feel that support. I guess I will be spending more time with my family and the positive vibe!

In other news …DAY 14! Half way there!

Weight -2.2 this week, -8.3 total

Measurements: Basically I lost the most inches around the midsection. I will just post the places that I lost:

waist (smallest) -2
waist (around stomach) -3
Upper Arm -.5
Upper leg -1
The rest stayed pretty much the same.

I don’t know how these results compare with what I am supposed to lose but I feel satisfied thus far. I really have followed the program without waver for these 2 weeks and it is nice to see (and feel) a difference. I just feel lighter (physically and emotionally). I feel positive and like there is no fail in me this time around. This is a feeling I have never had. Aside from the second day on the plan, I never even thought about giving up. This blog is so helpful and whenever I am feeling down, I love reading how everyone else is doing. Inspirational. Yay for HSM today!

Looks like your making progress. That alone is good.

I can’t say that there is an actual “Supposed to lose number”. We are all different, and have different weights, not to mention goals.

Folks that start at 200, with 5%BF are not going to drop 25lbs. With those stats someone might only lose 10lbs max (unless then start losing muscle)

I stated at 250 with a high BF%. 50 lbs of fat loss is not unrealistic, going from 30% to 10%. My suggested height weight is 178lbs. Though I have seen 178 since I was 16, and believe it or not I have been in pretty darmn good shape before.

Just keep your chin up! And be happy with any progress. Your doing great!

[quote]Katiekinz wrote:
No matter how I explained it, they did not get it. [/quote]

Most don’t get it, which is why they’re fat.

Furthermore, most people think that everythings is about them. So you acknowledging that you needed to lose weight forces them to look at themselves, and they don’t like that.

While I never had anyone trying to talk me out of this, my thought when I heard the “I could never do that’s” and “That’s crazy” and “I don’t have that kind of willpower,” was…

YOU ARE WEAK AND I AM NOT.

Any time anyone says something negative about your situation, just repeat that to yourself.

It’s got a nice cadence to it.

(In your head is the polite approach.)

Congrats with your halfway point! 8.3 lbs. is solid work for 2 weeks! Seeing results definitely makes this thing a lot more fun. Stay positive and remind yourself that you are doing this for you, not anyone else. Maybe you’ll even change the mind of some of your naysayers in the process.

Day 17.

Thanks for the comments/advice. I was hoping to lose 15 pounds on this V-Diet. So with 8.3 down, less than half to go. A little nervous over my weak 2.2 loss last week. Hopefully, this week will reflect my hard work.

I had mashed caulifower as a side to my HSM last week…holy crap - sooo good. I really didn’t think I was going to like but I loved it. Everything is smooth sailing at the moment, hope it stays this way!

mashed caulifower is great with butter and sour cream and bacon… oh wait a minute wrong forum… :wink:

[quote]Katiekinz wrote:
Day 12 of the V-Diet.

A little tough the past few days. Some of my friends (and bf) are saying what I am doing is unhealthy (funny they didn’t say anything when I was eating like shit) and telling my (in a joking, yet serious manner) I will never last 28 days and even if I do I will gain everything back once I start eating. No matter how I explained it, they did not get it. They def. have not deterred me, but still left me feeling a little deflated. I am proud of myself for doing the V-Diet flawlessly for 12 days, dammnit. I mean 12 days is nothing crazy, but still! Some people can’t last 12 hours! I didn’t expect to feel bad about doing something good for myself and succeeding thus far. [/quote]

This is the exact reason I dont bother telling people what I am doing except people I know will have an open mind. I was skeptical about the program as well but instead of hate, I said let me give it a go and see how it works. I want to shed these last 30 lbs then I focus on a nice clean lifelong recomp.