Biotest

Help Me with My Math

I trying to figure out my maintenance calories, and am thinking that using my V-Diet results is a good way to do this. In 4 weeks I lost 18 pounds so I will use an average weight lost of 4 lbs a week (approx 2lbs of water the first week.) If there are 3500 calories in a pound of fat, then I was in a 14,000 calorie defecit per week… or 2000 calories a day.

I was taking in about 1800 calories a day on my V-Diet. Does it make sense that on average, my maint calories (taking into consideration my activity level during the V-Diet) would be 3800 calories a day?

Am I missing something?
Mac

[quote]MitchorRuby wrote:
I trying to figure out my maintenance calories, and am thinking that using my V-Diet results is a good way to do this. In 4 weeks I lost 18 pounds so I will use an average weight lost of 4 lbs a week (approx 2lbs of water the first week.) If there are 3500 calories in a pound of fat, then I was in a 14,000 calorie defecit per week… or 2000 calories a day.

I was taking in about 1800 calories a day on my V-Diet. Does it make sense that on average, my maint calories (taking into consideration my activity level during the V-Diet) would be 3800 calories a day?

Am I missing something?
Mac [/quote]

Figuring maintenance calorie out is always tricky. I’ve seen super simple formulas (bodyweight x 12 or 15) and very complex formulas that factor in all kinds of things, but truthfully all of them seem to be crapshoots. There are just too many factors and individual differences – from your personal metabolism, to weight/height/sex, to natural NEPA, etc.

The best thing to do is just pick a formula and see what happens. Then you can adjust based on your results. That requires food logging and obsessive food measuring and weighing and label reading, but it’ll teach you a lot, then it’ll be easier to wing it later on.