Biotest

Hellfire Guac

[center]Hellfire Guac [/center]
You have forgotten what food tastes like.

Or at least most North Americans have.

Our taste palates have been razed, desensitized. Flavor isn’t good enough anymore. We aren’t satisfied with sweet; we must have hyper-sweet and high-fructose corn syrup. We can’t just have salty; we must have super-salty and MSG. Even fatty, rich foods aren’t gratifying anymore. We demand chemical-induced richness and transfats.

We’ve become addicts. Where we should be connoisseurs of good wine, we’ve become raging drunks swilling grain alcohol. And we, without a doubt, need to check into rehab. Food rehab.

When I was experimenting with the mostly-liquid diet that eventually became the Velocity plan, I noticed a peculiar side effect: the single weekly solid meal (which had to be healthy, no cheat foods allowed) started to taste really, really good. And as the weeks went by, the foods became even more flavorful. Even plain steamed broccoli became an amazing gastronomic experience.

What the hell was going on?

It seemed I’d accidently performed a sort of “detox” on my taste buds. I’d re-sensitized them, reawakened them. Suddenly, healthy natural foods exploded with flavor. What’s more, the bad foods, the ones that had gotten me into trouble to begin with, suddenly tasted exactly like their true nature: chemically, sickly sweet, toxic.

This resuscitation of taste has made it very easy to stay abs-on-display lean for years since, and these days many people use the V-Diet just to reap the benefits of this side effect. Hey, when physique-supportive foods taste better to you than junk foods, then it’s pretty easy to avoid excess fat gain!

So, in the spirit of natural, healthy foods that taste amazing, here’s my favorite fiery guacamole recipe. The health benefits are huge here, but forget that for now. Instead just experience how good it tastes, no chemical crap needed.

[center]Hellfire Guacamole [/center]
Ingredients

4 ripe avocados
2-3 limes, juiced
1 or 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, rinsed and chopped
1 small can of chopped green chilies, or several fresh
1 handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
1 or 2 cloves of minced garlic
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
Pink sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1/2 red onion, chopped (optional)

Directions

Mash the avocados up with a fork. (I’ve used a food processor, but I prefer it fork-mashed now – it’s chunky and rustic.) Add the lime juice, then fold in the rest of the ingredients. Use the drizzle of olive oil if you want it smoother.

Since I don’t believe in dumbing down recipes, I’m leaving you a lot of options with this one. Use as many chipotles and chilies as you want. Seed the chipotles, or don’t if you want it extra hot. Use a lot of lime juice… or a little. Add the red onion or leave it out (I leave it out.)

I strongly encourage you to stick to fresh cilantro rather than dried though. Same with fresh ground pepper vs. pre-ground. The difference in flavor is night and day.

Get creative with this one and taste as you’re preparing it. Taste, then modify as you go along. Use those neglected taste buds and bring them back to life!

BTW, my favorite way to make chips is to pop a few Carb Balance Mission tortillas into the toaster oven on broil for just a minute or so. Makes a great low-carb guacamole delivery mechanism.

Other than that, I just used vegetables like celery or radish chips, as shown in the pics.

Hey! I like me a good wine. Preferrebly, dry, full bodied. AND, I like me my whiskey! Both have nuances in flavor that are a joy to experience.

Next, nice recipe. I usually just dice up a couple jalapenos for my guac. I will also add diced tomatos for a chunky guac. Never tried the chiptole but will do that next time.

Oh, and kudos for using the radishes. I like them a lot but most people avoid them unless they are already on a salad or something. I grew up with them sitting on a plate during dinner along with some sliced cucumber. Great stuff.

Oh yeah, use sliced cucumber as a chip. Nice little crunch with little calories. I’m sure you already use bell peppers as scoops as well. If not, come on, man!

This is chipotle in adobo sauce if you’re unfamiliar with it. Basically, smoked jalapeno.

The sauce contains a bit of sugar, but I rinse the peppers off to reduce this. Besides, this stuff is so frickin’ hot you won’t be able to overeat it anyway.

[quote]Arioch wrote:
Hey! I like me a good wine. Preferrebly, dry, full bodied. AND, I like me my whiskey! Both have nuances in flavor that are a joy to experience.

Next, nice recipe. I usually just dice up a couple jalapenos for my guac. I will also add diced tomatos for a chunky guac. Never tried the chiptole but will do that next time.

Oh, and kudos for using the radishes. I like them a lot but most people avoid them unless they are already on a salad or something. I grew up with them sitting on a plate during dinner along with some sliced cucumber. Great stuff.

Oh yeah, use sliced cucumber as a chip. Nice little crunch with little calories. I’m sure you already use bell peppers as scoops as well. If not, come on, man![/quote]

Just an analogy with the wine and grain alcohol. Just saying that most people have forgotten how to savor. They think not about the bite of food (or sip of drink) in their mouths, but their next bite. Basically, mindful vs. unmindful eating. Quantity instead of quality… though I prefer a high quantity of high quality food myself! Best of both worlds.

Diced tomatoes sound great. I’ll try that next. And bell peppers? You bet. Nature’s scoop!

I think food rehab is the #1 reason to do the Velocity Diet, although saying that wont sell many of the packages. I think the proof of this is in doing the V-Diet a second time and it worked in an entirely different way, instead of losing pure fat–I am pretty sure I lost fat and muscle. When I came off of it I had a huge rebound in weight and strength, I looked a lot better but didn’t really weigh any less.

A lot of this came from the fact that I ate better after doing to V-diet the first time, so when is came to doing it a second time the diet really only provided depervation.

Interested in seeing where this is going Chris. I personally have had to experiment with a couple different options to see continued wieght loss while maintaining energy. The food rehab part of the V-diet makes adapting these experiments very easy. I found my body just dies about 4 weeks in on a ture low carb diet; a true carb-cycle diet ended up being to complicated for someone not competeing; but have had a lot of luck with a more carb rotation type diet (Cheat to Thin).

FYI: The chipotle in adobo. About 7 or 8 calories of INTENSE flavor.

Just chopped one up for my omega-3 egg and mushroom scramble.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
This is chipotle in adobo sauce if you’re unfamiliar with it. Basically, smoked jalapeno.

The sauce contains a bit of sugar, but I rinse the peppers off to reduce this. Besides, this stuff is so frickin’ hot you won’t be able to overeat it anyway.

[/quote]

Funny how food knowledge can be so regional isn’t it? I took it for granted that everyone knew what a chipotle is until I had to explain it to my northern relatives. A friend of mine told me that he was eating in a Tex-Mex style restaurant up north and their menu had phonetic spellings and definitions for words like “tortilla” and “quesadilla.”

In lieu of fresh cilantro, most grocery stores (not Wal Mart) carry cilantro paste in the produce section (it’s kept refrigerated). This is a lot better than dried cilantro when fresh is not an option.

I would love to enjoy this, but it is too spicy for me. I love heat, but my stomach doesn’t.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I would love to enjoy this, but it is too spicy for me. I love heat, but my stomach doesn’t.[/quote]

Kill the chipotle and double up on the green chilies. No heat at all in those. Or try bell peppers, tomatoes, or a spoonful of a tomatillo salsa.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
In lieu of fresh cilantro, most grocery stores (not Wal Mart) carry cilantro paste in the produce section (it’s kept refrigerated). This is a lot better than dried cilantro when fresh is not an option.[/quote]

That’s cool as long as there isn’t much added junk in there. I know wasabi paste is pretty bad.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I would love to enjoy this, but it is too spicy for me. I love heat, but my stomach doesn’t.[/quote]

You could also use roasted pablano peppers if they aren’t too spicy for you (yes, I love roasted pablano). Adds a nice flavor. And, like CS said, any peppers will work. Tomatillas are also a good idea. You can roast those (after you peel and wash them). Just chop them up and add them.

Guacamole is a good thing to play around with. There really aren’t any set rules for it. Once you find a recipe you enjoy, just stick with it and gobble it up. For example, I like to add some roasted garlic or just a lot of garlic powder(not garlic salt). A little cumin and plenty of fresh cracked pepper. I can handle spicey so jalapenos get mixed in for the ‘hot’ version along with the diced tomatos I mentioned before.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also add cottage cheese. I makes it nice and creamy. A little tip I learned from me madre. The color won’t be as vibrantly green but the texture is nice.

That’s awesome dude! Looks great - I make my own guac all the time (just avocado, salt, fresh lemon juice and garlic) and spread it over chicken breast or even steak - makes a lo-carb protein meal taste a lot more “filled out” to me…

I’ll definitely give this recipe a try.

[quote]Arioch wrote:
EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also add cottage cheese. [/quote]

Good idea - up the protein content a bit.

Hey I noticed that your column was missing from the T-Nation forum tab and stumbled upon the Velocity Life section where you’re located now. I’ve got to admit, the velocity diet site layouts really have set a new standard for how information is presented here and I really appreciate how easy it is to navigate.

[quote]steelechris wrote:
Hey I noticed that your column was missing from the T-Nation forum tab and stumbled upon the Velocity Life section where you’re located now. I’ve got to admit, the velocity diet site layouts really have set a new standard for how information is presented here and I really appreciate how easy it is to navigate.[/quote]

The complete Velocity Life site should be going up soon. All in transition now. Stay tuned, cool stuff on the way!