Biotest

Healthy Substitutes in a Dessert Recipe

Hi Chris,

I would like to try to make a dessert known as a macaron, with a borrowed oven no less. A main ingredient is almond meal/powder, so that’s great, but I wondered if you could suggest healthy substitutes for the other ingredients?

I recall you recently posted a healthed-up syrup/paste which would be a great syrup substitute in this recipe, but what with all the melting and stirring involved I figured I’d better post the whole thing. I don’t bake, but with the festive season coming up I may need to contribute to some parties and would like to make some healthy but indulgent treats. This doesn’t take too long to prepare, it seems. Thanks for any help!

Here is the recipe:

Macarons à la rose
(to prevent accusations of plagiarism, the website I got this from is:
from: http://www.foodbeam.com/2006/06/28/la-vie-en-rose-macarons-a-la-rose-de-pierre-herme/)

makes 500g

Ingredients:

for la crème à la rose
100g couverture white chocolate, melted
100g double cream
10g rose syrup

1g rose essence

Bring the cream to the boil and mix in the melted white chocolate, rose syrup and essence.
Pour the mixture into an airtight tin and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

for le tant-pour-tant
125g almond powder
125g icing sugar

Blitz in a food processor and sieve.

for le macaron à la rose
125g caster sugar
31g water
47g â??agedâ?? egg whites
pink food colouring
250g tant-pour-tant
43g fresh egg whites

Method:
Preheat the oven to 160°C.
In a saucepan, put the sugar and water and bring to 120°C.
When the syrup reaches 114°C, start whisking the aged egg whites and when the syrup is ready (=120°C), pour it over the egg whites and continue whisking until cold.
The meringue should be thick and glossy.
Add the food colouring until it reaches the colour you want
Mix in the tant-pour-tant and the fresh egg whites.
The mixture should be still firm, but softer and very glossy.
Pipe the batter small rounds (2cm) onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 9 minutes (oven door maintained open with a wooden spoon).
Let cool for 2 minutes then carefully detach the macarons from the baking mat and set aside.
Continue until there is no mixture left.

Honestly, I don’t even recognize several of those ingredients. So let me defer to a completely different recipe. I think what you’re trying to make is a macaroon? If so, here’s a better alternative:

Almond Macaroons

1-1/4 cups almonds
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
2 egg whites, beaten
1/4 cup raw honey
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Grind almonds coarsely. Combine cinnamon and lemon and add. Beat egg whites very stiff, fold in honey and continue beating. Fold in lemon juice with almond mixture and blend. Drop from a teaspoon onto ungreased parchment paper. Bake 30 minutes at 250 degrees F. Remove from paper while still slightly warm. Makes 4 macaroons.

Thank you Chris, your recipe will make a great casing and for the filling I’ll probably use some crushed berries with some honey or yoghurt.

These macarons (French word, so not macaroons) - are basically two little biscuity/meringue halves with a creamy filling between them, but i didn’t want it to be too sweet. I thought it might be a bit frou-frou for T-Nation but these things are quite trendy now so I thought I might as well adapt the recipe.

If you’re interested in what they look like, here (if I’ve loaded it correctly) is an image. I’m sure you’ve seen them about.

(If i succeed in my mission to make these things, I will post a photo.)