Biotest

Healthy Popcorn Shrimp

Healthy Popcorn Shrimp

The goal of this recipe was to use my healthy frying technique to make a fast and easy version of popcorn shrimp. So, we use good-for-ya coconut oil and replace the wheat flour with your choice of almond flour or brown rice flour. Just choose whichever best fits your dietary preferences.

Ingredients

1 or 2 bags of frozen, pre-cooked shrimp, large, tail-on
Coconut oil
Almond or brown rice flour (or a blend)
Egg white
Cajun seasoning blend or Old Bay seasoning blend

Instructions

1. Take the frozen shrimp out of the bag and run cold water over them to partially thaw. Remove tails. You’ll want them still a little frozen as they hit the pan. This will keep the already-cooked shrimp from getting overcooked and rubbery.

2. On a plate, pour out a little of your non-wheat flour and mix it with seasoning to taste.

3. Dredge the shrimp: dip shrimp in egg white and let the excess drop off. Then coat shrimp in flour/seasoning blend.

4. In a large pan, heat a tablespoon or two of coconut oil over medium heat.

5. Place shrimp into pan. Do not crowd them.

6. When the bottom coating begins to brown, carefully flip the shrimp.

7. When both sides are golden brown, move from pan to paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil. Then eat 'em up.

Another variation I make:

Mix approx. 1 cup of shredded, unsweetened coconut flakes with a dash of cayenne pepper in a large ziplock bag.

Dump your shrimp into the bag, to coat evenly with the coconut mixture. I don’t dredge the shrimp in eggs or egg white, b/c I find it gets too clumpy.

Lay shrimp on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 or 400 for about 1/2 hour or until the coconut starts to brown.

This stuff is amazing…

Made this for the first time tonight…delicious and a great alternative. Thanks for posting!

[quote]swolegal21 wrote:
Made this for the first time tonight…delicious and a great alternative. Thanks for posting![/quote]

Awesome. Glad you liked it.

Gonna try this as part of my HSM tonight. I’ll be fantasizing about it all day.