Biotest

Healthy Homemade Ketchup

[center]Healthy Homemade Ketchup [/center]
A lot of people make healthy food choices, but then ruin them with unhealthy condiment choices. Mayonnaise, ketchup, salad dressing… chances are, if you bought these at a grocery store they’re full of junk that’ll hamper your physique goals.

I’ve posted dressing and mayo recipe before, so let’s take care of America’s number one condiment: ketchup (or catsup if you prefer.)

This homemade version had twice the flavor of store-bought and none of the corn syrup or other questionable ingredients.

Ingredients

1 six-ounce can tomato paste (100% pure tomato pulp)
2-3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (white vinegar is fine too)
1/3 cup water
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch ground cloves
1 pinch ground allspice
1 pinch powdered cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon pink sea salt
1 teaspoon Splenda or stevia, or to taste (optional)

Instructions

Place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until combined. Store in fridge for a few hours to allow flavors to marry and develop.

Variations

1. Add more or less water if you want it thinner or thicker.

2. Change vinegar to change flavor. Balsamic is awesome.

3. Adjust spices for endless variation. Garlic and onion powder would work well. How about a little diced chipotle? Mmmm.

So, apparently tomato out of a can is no good for you.

From TC’s latest article; “the linings of tin cans contain bisphenol-A, a synthetic estrogen-like chemical that’s been associated with a host of medical problems”.

Whats your thought on canned tomatoes? I use them often.

tweet

I use them too, and have never seen tomato paste in a glass jar. I agree with what Dr. Berardi wrote years ago: focus first on healthy foods, then worry later about if they’re organic or not, sold in a can etc. Go organic and glass if you can find it and afford it, but to me just eating good foods for men like tomato paste is more beneficial than NOT eating them because you’re worried about the can.

Tried this with 4 tablespoon apple cider vinegar. Best variation so far. Trying a spicier variation this weekend.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Tried this with 4 tablespoon apple cider vinegar. Best variation so far. Trying a spicier variation this weekend. [/quote]

chipotle pepper mixed in!

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

chipotle pepper mixed in![/quote]

Did it. Not bad!

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

chipotle pepper mixed in![/quote]

Did it. Not bad! [/quote]

I want to try with some adobo mixed in. Might bring the right flavor. I’ll experiment this week and show you my result.

That’s what I did - added a little of the adobo. I needed to cut back on the other spices though. Not quite right, but okay.

Next I’ll make a jalapeno variation. Heinz sells this already in a bottle, so the flavor must work. I’ll just leave out the crap.

Dani and I also used this as a sauce for a cheeseburger pizza (cauliflower crust.) I just made it without the extra sweetener.

Hey Chris,

I have found the perfect substitute for ketchup. Its called “Ajvar”.

Ajvar is a roasted red pepper spread (or ?relish?), extremely popular in Balkan countries, but apparently with Croatian origins. The simplest version of ajvar contains only peppers and garlic, but many people add aubergines.

The perfect addition to add some extra flavour to your meat. Check it out!

tweet

That sounds awesome. Thanks!

Tip: Save old jars, double or triple the recipe and store in the fridge. This one was an olive jar.

@Chris: This is the best catsup I’ve ever had…thank you! I put it on four grass fed lettuce wrap burgers & my baked potatoes …delicious

[quote]sput79 wrote:
@Chris: This is the best catsup I’ve ever had…thank you! I put it on four grass fed lettuce wrap burgers & my baked potatoes …delicious [/quote]

Awesome! Glad to hear it. I swear we sometimes plan meals around what would go best with this catsup.

@Chris: I added Ms. Dash southwest chipotle to it…amazing!!! Plus that extra tablespoon of apple cider vinegar…I have people asking where I bought it lol…better than regular Catsup

Good idea, sput79!

I made a jalapeno variation using soft canned peppers. Not bad, but not as versatile as the more classic recipe. You can really kick it up by adding a spoonful of the pepper juice from jarred diced jalapeno.

@Chris …that sounds delicious…I found if I spice it too much add more apple cider vinegar or if you want that spicy after kick then cayenne pepper or Southwest Chipotle or Extra Spicey Ms. Dash…Trader Joes has a spice with the grinder …sea salt, garlic, onion, & parsley that’s really good. Mine has the perfect sweet taste with a slight kick after taste… I let my mother try it who is an amazing cook & she likes it better than regular catsup…I told her there’s no sugar or sweetener in it either :slight_smile:

Be sure & check out the best way to eat a sweet potato post…it’s bomb!

hey how long would you say this stuff’ll keep in the fridge? im not a huge ketchup fan so i wouldn’t use it all the time

[quote]stokes1989 wrote:
hey how long would you say this stuff’ll keep in the fridge? im not a huge ketchup fan so i wouldn’t use it all the time[/quote]

Can’t say for sure. I’ve left it in the fridge, covered, for maybe 5-6 days and it was fine.

I use them too, and have never seen tomato paste in a glass jar. I agree with what Dr. Berardi wrote years ago: focus first on healthy foods, then worry later about if they’re organic or not, sold in a can etc. Go organic and glass if you can find it and afford it, but to me just eating good foods for men like tomato paste is more beneficial than NOT eating them because you’re worried about the can. [/quote]

I agree with Dr. Berardi as well, but I have found tomato paste in a jar: http://www.amazon.com/Bionaturae-Organic-Tomato-Paste---/dp/B001O8PKV6/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1376605695&sr=8-11&keywords=tomato+paste
Hella pricey, but worth it if you can afford it. Gonna try it with the ketchup recipe tonight.