Biotest

Healthy General Tso's-Like Sauce?

Subject line pretty much says it all. If I were able to make one terrible for you meal healthy, it would be greasy General Tso’s, with chicken or cat :). Anybody ever made something similar to the sauce where it won’t expand the waistline?

[quote]wolfen6920 wrote:
Subject line pretty much says it all. If I were able to make one terrible for you meal healthy, it would be greasy General Tso’s, with chicken or cat :). Anybody ever made something similar to the sauce where it won’t expand the waistline?[/quote]

Good challenge. The offending ingredients here are MSG, cornstarch (a little is fine, but most Tso’s recipes call for TONS), and sugar. That’s the sauce, but of course the chicken is deep fried.

Some ideas: Replace sugar with Splenda, maybe tapioca or arrowroot for the cornstarch, skip the MSG and use real salt, and if you fry use coconut oil.

The sauce is what makes it, I’m not even sure it’s the chicken so much. Pouring a healthy version of that on a big ol bowl of veggies would be just as satisfying.

Found this one that doesn’t look that bad:
Replace the Veg Oil with Coconut (plus you throw most of it away at the end)

GENERAL TSAO’S CHICKEN

2 chicken cutlets
1 tsp. cornstarch
1 egg, beaten
4 dry hot peppers
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
4 tbsp. soy sauce
4 tbsp. vinegar
4 tbsp. water
1 c. vegetable oil

Cut chicken into large chunks. Mix cornstarch with egg. Put chicken pieces in mixture and stir. Mix garlic and ginger with soy sauce, vinegar and water for sauce. Pour oil into wok or large skillet. When oil is red-hot add chicken and stir-fry until crisp. Remove chicken. Leave 1 teaspoon of oil in wok and add red peppers. Pour in sauce and chicken and saute for 1 minute.

Recipe: http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com/2010/10/general-tsos-chicken.html

I attempted a low carb generals chicken.

I used Chia seed flower for breading and pan-fried it. Perfect texture.

The sauce needed work. I put the chicken on the upper area of the wok and added garlic(1 clove), green onion slices(3 stalks) and rice vinegar(about 1/2 C.) then splenda to taste(4T, i think). It was passable but needed an acid, my thought was orange juice, might try using a diet orange soda next time. Also on reflection needs some ginger. I could probably find a picture of what I made and post it tommorow.

Super delicious low carb generals chicken
The important stuff: The SAUCE
¼ tsp guar gum. (any low carb thickener or tsp cornstarch will do)
½ tsp powdered ginger
½ tsp garlic powder
½ Cup splenda
¼ Cup soy sauce
¼ Cup diet orange soda
¼ Cup red wine vinegar
¾ Cup chicken broth

Mix it up anyway you can, guar gum needs to be mix in well. I used my Vitamix just to be sure everything was well blended. Set the sauce aside. Note:you can chose to add a dash of red pepper flakes for some heat.

1/4 â?? ½ Cup of chia seed flour.
1 ½ lbs of chicken breasts (thighs work too)
1 egg
2 Tsp oil (I use sesame oil, vegetable and coconut oil works as well and changes the flavor slightly)

Beat the egg. Cut the chicken how you like it. I like mine in small cubes. Mix the egg and the raw chicken together. Spread the chia seed flour out on a plate or counter and move the egg battered chicken by hand onto the flour. Toss the chicken in the flour until your pieces are well coated. Heat the oil in a wok and pan fry that breaded chicken until golden brown. Put the chiken on the edge of the wok. Add the sauce slowly, wait until itâ??s been bubbling a few seconds , this allows the sauce to reduce and begin to â??carmelizeâ?? then stir the chicken through the sauce, do this until all the chicken is coated with sauce. Remove from pan and enjoy.

Alternatives: you can just reduce the sauce to just shy of the thickness you desire, It will thicken a bit as it cools, and toss it onto the chicken. Cooking onions with the oil, remove, cook chicken and add with sauce. Blanced broccoli also makes a great addition. Stir fry veggies with garlic sauce makes a nice side dish.