Biotest

Hack's V-Diet Log Time to Blast Z Fat

Hi, my name is Cory, and I have a fat problem. Here’s my story.

February of 2010 I decided to join the Air National Guard. I went to talk to the recruiter, took all of the tests, got the physical, and I was ready to join. Hold on, there was a problem. I was too fat. My waist measurement at the belly button was 43 inches. No good. I needed to be at 37 inches or lose 30 lbs. to qualify.

That was my wake up call.

I had trained off and on for the previous 10 years (I was 27 at the time. Now 28), but it was mostly off. I would train and diet until I got to a decent point (about 15-18%) and then I would stop. Not sure why I did that. Laziness I guess.

I got my YMCA membership back and became a cardio monster. Yes, I knew that cardio is not the best way to lose fat permanently. I knew I was going to burn through muscle. In my mind, I just wanted to lose weight quickly and I didn’t care how. Lots of swimming, lots of running on the treadmill (it was winter in Minnesota), and no weight training. Stupid, I know.

After three months of this, with no change in diet, I lost about 8 lbs, but didn’t really look any different. I knew what the problem was. I needed to go back to basics. I needed to start tracking my diet, lifting heavy ass weights, and mixing in cardio appropriately.

This was on May 25, 2010. I remember the date for some reason. I started Rippetoe’s Starting Strength, took some baseline pictures and measurements, and got serious. I tracked my diet. 40/40/20 protein, carbs, fat, and I was on my way. I lost two inches in the first month. Then the same thing happened that always happens. I got complacent. I kept lifting hard, definitely, but the diet part of the equation slowly started to go back to its old ways.

It started by having an extra cheat meal here or there. Then it morphed into not logging my food, because I knew what portions looked like and I ate the same things everyday. Then it was a little extra “clean” food. Then a pop here or there. Needless to say, it was the slippery slope from hell.

This continued until November. I was still slowly dropping weight and inches. I went from 238 at 30% BF to 215 at 17% from Feb '09 to Dec. '09 so I was making pretty good progress. My lifts all went up by about 50-80 lbs. So I was doing some things right. It was just taking a long time.

Then I started slacking again around Januray of this year. I needed something more to motivate me. I decided to do a bodybuilding contest in May of '10. Met with my trainer who I have worked with off and on over the past five years. Got my plan and hit it hard. Stuck to it perfectly for two weeks and the the slippery slope came back. I won’t bore you with the details, but I fell off the diet plan.

Shugart is right. For most people, slow and steady does not work. Sunday night I ordered half of the VDiet supplements. They will arrive today or tomorrow. I will order the other half next week. Had to split it into two orders for budget reasons.

I am going to blast the fat away. I read the hammer today and it was perfect. I am a 24/7 kind of person. I don’t do well with changing things one at a time. I need to shock my system and give it a good kick in the nuts. I will be logging everything very meticulously right here in this log. I will post baseline pictures and measurements tonight. Thanks for the motivation to all that have done this before me and thanks to Chris for all of the inspiring articles and great info that you have posted in your blog over the years. Time to kill myself once and for all.

“Your destiny shall not be allotted to you, but you shall choose it for yourselves.” - Plato

[quote]cj_hackett wrote:
This was on May 25, 2010. I remember the date for some reason. I started Rippetoe’s Starting Strength, took some baseline pictures and measurements, and got serious. I tracked my diet. 40/40/20 protein, carbs, fat, and I was on my way. I lost two inches in the first month. Then the same thing happened that always happens. I got complacent. I kept lifting hard, definitely, but the diet part of the equation slowly started to go back to its old ways. [/quote]

I find it most impressive that you remember this date so vividly, and are managing to write this post sometime in the future and make it appear here on 14 April 2010.

Joking aside. Sounds like you are ready to rock this thing. Good luck man.

I’m here from the future! Oops, meant to write 2009. The years kind of blur when you get to be as old as I am (28).

It is really good that you decided to take that next step. I have to tell you it takes a lot of commitment. I’m myself on day 17 and I can’t wait for the 4 week period to be over with. It’s really hard at times but trust me it’s well wort the effort. Just keep up with the program, don’t skip workout and try to have all shakes. If you need extra support we are here for you.

Thanks man, still waiting for the supps to arrive. They were shipped on Monday from Colorado. Hoping they get here (Minnesota) today.

Got my supps! Starting tomorrow. Four weeks until abs. Am doing measurements and pictures tonight.

Started yesterday. Did my measurements and pics. Couple things that I’ve realized already.

1. I used to eat often when i wasn’t really hungry. It was out of habit.

2. I’m not necessarily hungry so far on the V-Diet, but I don’t feel satisfied. I ate a lot purely for taste.

3. When I go back to a food based diet, I will be very thankful for clean and nutritious food. Right now I would love to have even a chicken breast, where before I wanted to have pizza.

4. Shakes are kind of sweet. Hopefully I don’t get sick of them. Will push through regardless.

Good luck!!!