Biotest

Growr's V-diet Pics, Results & Thoughts

So my Velocity Diet ran from the 26th of April to the 25 of May. Thought I’d post some thought might be of use to future V-dieters and increase our collective knowledge about how the diet works, why it works and why you should JUST STICK TO THE DAMN PLAN.
I followed the instructions to a T, the only deviation being an inability to take Flameout after the first two weeks because it was upsetting my stomach. All fish oil does this to me if I have too much of it, and apparently a lack of solid food exacerbates the situation. Anyway…
Final Results:
Weight: 75kg - 67.7kg (7.3kg or 16lbs)
Waist inches: 34.5" - 32" ( down 2.5" or 5.5cm)
Best guess caliper bodyfat test: 13% to 9%

Right. Every time I copy/paste from a word file I get all these weird artifacts. I’m going to a friend’s house now for my HSM, and that SO takes precedence over this post. I’ll just put the pics up for now. Thoughts later.

Front relaxed

Front double-bi…I know…not impressive

Side

‘Most muscular’ :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m 5’7" and ended the main phase on 150lbs if it matters. The above pic is where I started about 3 years ago, at nearly 200lbs. T-Nation has been one of the most important discoveries of my life. :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your results and progress over the 3 years!

good job on the overall progress over the years! like a-dizz said in one of your threads…i think the V-Diet was not for you unless you had some bad habits you wanted to get rid of. likewise, a good solid food diet with proper nutrient timing and intense lifting with some fasted liss cardio over a longer time frame might’ve been a better approach for you.

the only reason i say that is because you don’t really seem to carry much muscle, therefore what is the point of cutting. you weren’t really fat before the V-Diet just a little chubby. i only comment on your photos like this because i think i’m in your situation. i’m actually finishing up week 3 today and realizing that i don’t have as much muscle as i thought.

as for supplements now i would say to add some fenugreek, r-ala, vitamin e, gymnema sylvestre, and lay off the stims for a while. that will help make your waist small(er) and optimize your hormones a little bit. maybe add in some phosphatidylserine if you’ve got the $. check out some of Charles Poliquin’s protocols for optimizing hormones.

also, what are your lifts like? i would say you need lots of heavy overhead pressing movements and i would bet that your deadlift and weighted chins are not that heavy. not that i am some deadlift beast, but i kept my max to 355 during the V-Diet and i currently weigh 160.

all that being said you have done a tremendous job and i bet now meat and veggies tastes like a “cheat meal”. great job!!!

just my .02

Thanks for the replies and good advice. As I mentioned to A-dizz in an earlier post, I did the V-diet because I’m goddamn sick of dieting and just wanted to get below 10% bf so I could start bulking.

As far as I can tell, I’m below 10% now, but I don’t really have any way to confirm that scientifically because I live in Japan my the people who work in my gym have probably never heard to bodyfat calipers.

Anyway, once transition is done I’m going to go on a long bulking phase, using Coach Shugart’s ‘The quality mass diet’ as my guide. I’ll try to just put on lean muscles, but as a FFB, we’ll just have to see how it goes. Either way, I’m sick of being small now and I’ve set myself a goal of 180lbs.

I’m not sure what a realistic time-frame is for 30lbs lean muscle gain, but I suspect it could take about 2 years or something silly. Any thoughts?

I’ll post my observations about the V-diet as soon as I can figure out how not to get artifacts in my posts from the copy/paste process.

Shakes taste:
Metabolic Drive is freakin’ awesome, and although I haven’t taste any other casein proteins, I’m pretty confident they will suck in comparison, and I’m glad I shelled out the cash for it. I didn’t get too bored with the flavors (although orange cream doesn’t do it for me (hopefully Chris can post some nice recipes using this much-maligned flavor).

I didn’t have any Davinci’s no-sugar syrups, but it didn’t bother me too much. I occasionally added cinnamon to my vanilla shakes, and that was okay, but not something I’d crow about.

Here’s a wrap-up, in order of preference:
Chocolate: Hands down the best flavor. If you make it with a little less than 16oz water, the flavor is more concentrated and it truly does taste like pudding. Best mix flavor is banana

Vanilla: Also awesome, and the most versatile in terms of adding flavors. The peanut butter goes particularly well with Vanilla.

Strawberry: Nice texture and very nostalgic. Some people might remember Nesquik, which is exactly what Strawberry MD tastes like. Not bad mixed with banana.

Banana: I’m not normally a fan of banana drinks, but with enough ice, this flavor is very refreshing and a nice change.

Orange Cream: I think it requires a lot of ice, and then it gets a kind of sorbet feel that’s acceptable, but I can’t reconcile ‘thick creamy drink’ and ‘citrus’ in my mind, so it seems wrong.
One thing I shall be looking into is adding various flavors of Crystal Light to Metabolic Drive. We’ll see how that turns out.

Picture = “Shakes on a muthaf*ckin plane!”

More food stuff:

The shakes:
I’ve heard that casein protein basically turns into some kind of gel in your stomach, and that’s what makes it release slowly. I suspect that’s true, because I can usually feel it sitting at the bottom of my stomach. It’s a little weird and uncomfortable at first, but once you realize it’s normal and you’re not getting ill or anything, it’s fine.

Flameout:
I’m sure Flameout is awesome, but I had to stop taking it about 2 weeks into the diet because my body just wasn’t happy with it. It’s not Flameout itself, but fish oil in general. I tried a generic brand as well, but yeah. It basically just acted as a laxative and it wasn’t cool. I’ll start taking it again during transition, when I think the HSMs will help.

Flax:
Functional. It isn’t tasty or anything and frankly I’m happier with smoother drinks than ones with texture, but it wasn’t a problem and once I stopped taking fish oil, everything was fine.

Spectravite Multivitamin:
Tasted like pills. Would have gotten some Superfood if I knew it was very low-calorie.

General state of being on the diet

The first week was pretty easy. I’ve been doing the Anabolic Diet and general low carb for quite a long time, so the changeover wasn’t a draining shock or anything. The second week was tough, but that’s mostly because I had to travel to America and luke-warm shakes on a plane weren’t a whole lot of fun.

America is also a strange land where you can get some of the best nutrition in the world, and the worst. I had to go to dinner a couple of times, and most American restaurants (especially in South Carolina) do not specialize in health food.

Third week was the easiest and I got into the groove and became ‘unconsciously competent’ about having my shakes.
So far the fourth week has been a little tough because of the aforementioned reasons. Also, I know that the transition phase is coming and I am so damn keen for it that it’s scary. It’ll take an iron will to control my calories during this time. Which leads us neatly into:

Iron will:

I am psychologically a lot stronger now than I have ever been before. After weeks of saying ‘No thanks, just a water/oolong tea/green tea for me’, It’s become much easier than it used to be. When I started the diet, my only weakness was hunger. If I was hungry, I could justify eating just about anything.

Having been on the Velocity Diet, hunger has become just another thing that I can more or less ignore, certainly for the hour or so it takes to get in and out of a restaurant. It seemed so imperative before I started, like the small cut you would get as a young child and absolutely had to have a bandage on it before you spurted your entire blood supply all over the floor.

Now I can treat hunger like adult do small cuts. It’s there, it’s annoying, but it’s certainly not life-threatening and you’ll attend to it when the opportunity presents itself.

Let me be clear that I was by no means starving. Considering the calories I was taking in (about 1300 on non-training days and 1500 on training days), I was amazingly satisfied, and Metabolic Drive gets all the kudos for that. I remember dieting on 1800 calories of solid food and wanting to eat co-workers.

Taste Changes:

This seems to be a different for everyone. In my case, I certainly wouldn’t eat a bite of curry/French fries/pecan pie and gag. I won’t eat that stuff very often, but the reasons are psychological. I know they’re bad, and with my newly-gained willpower, I just don’t need to eat them.

That being said, I have definitely discovered a new taste for healthy foods.

I believe the reason for this is that at the end of every week, your HSM stands out like a prize at the end of a long race. You fantasize about it. You dream about it. You plan it for hours. You put effort into it. The idea of healthy food as a cheat meal is genius because it elevates healthy food to the same pedestal I used to put crap food on.

In my opinion, junk food cheat meals are a sure-fire way to failure, and I know of at least one friend who will read this and say ‘I told you so.’ I realize that this has been said by the coaches on Tnation before, but now I finally understand it.

My advice to anyone doing a ‘normal’ diet (eating healthy food every day) is to put your ‘cheat meal’ on a pedestal in some way other than making it bad for you. Cook something that takes a lot of preparation. Use exotic, expensive ingredients. Find a great restaurant that does a good HSM and go there are your weekly reward.

I think that those who report no changes in taste or cravings spent too much time thinking about the food they couldn’t have rather than the food they could.

Another theory I have about vegetables and so on suddenly seeming so tasty is that the normal, processed crap I used to eat on a regular basis genuinely IS more tasty. This shouldn’t be a surprise, because manufacturers add corn syrup, salt, MSG and so on to absolutely everything in a competition to make the tastiest food.

So when you take out all that crap for a month, your body downregulates what you consider to be ‘rich in taste’, making vegetables, that seem so bland on a normal diet, delicious. My third week’s HSM was a Greek salad, and I have never tasted tomatoes that good before.

Finally, I think it’s important to say that at the end of the main phase I can feel my body crying out for solid food. I believe that if I carried on like this for much longer, I would eventually get sick, lose strength and bonk out. My inability to take fish oil might have contributed to that.

The workouts:
My workout plan was slightly confused in the beginning. Since I couldn’t find the intermediate Hard Body plan at the time (thank goodness everything is in one place now), I just followed the advanced one I got from Gus’s thread on Tnation and made a few substitutions with exercises I knew I couldn’t do.

Then I went to America and couldn’t get to a gym, so I made do with a set of 25lbs Dumbbells and a set of 40s. Once I got back I got onto the intermediate plan and that’s been fine, but obviously I haven’t been following the progressions very well. I worked my ass off though, and I guess that’s what’s important. I’m looking forward to the transition phase workouts.

I’ve noticed a slight decrease in strength in the final week, which isn’t too pleasing, but on the other hand I’ve been busy and sleeping irregularly. Lots of jet lag in the last couple of weeks. I tried the whole ‘stay up late and go to bed at the normal time for your new location’, but that didn’t do anything for me. Perhaps it’s the 13 hour time difference between Japan and South Carolina.

Plans:
I’ll do the 1st week of transition very strictly. 1 HSM per day. In the second week I’ll do 4 days of 2 HSMs and 3 days of 3 HSMs before finally ending up on about 4 solid meals per day and 1 or 2 shakes.

After transition I’ll eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks, maybe take a week off gym and then start a slow bulk. I’m keen to see if my muscles fill out a little once I add HSMs back into my diet and start taking creatine again. Right now I’m feeling like a skinny little weed, which I hate.

As for long term goals, assuming I start bulking at 150lbs and am careful to stay at low BF, I’d like to hit 180lbs in, what…2 to 3 years, counting some 2-week mini-velocity diets to keep fat under control? I’ve never bulked before but I reckon if coach Thibs is over 200lbs and only an inch taller than me, I can get to 180. 200 is more like a 5-year goal.

If I decide to do the V-diet again, I’ll probably do 2 weeks strict, and 1-2 weeks transition, since I won’t have as much fat to lose next time, and most of the progress comes in the first and second week anyway.

My body:

The biggest thing I’ve learnt from the Velocity Diet is that I was carrying a lot more fat around than I thought. From my pictures and the changes in clothes I’m wearing it seems that most of it was in my ass and stomach. It was intravisceral fat though, which I’m very happy to have lost and has probably extended my life by a good 5-10years. Thanks Chris!

My abs still aren’t very defined, but that may be because I have flat abs. We’ll see how the transition phase goes and try to get an accurate body-fat measurement sometime. I don’t think there are any water-thingy measuring machines in my area, so it’ll have to be my accumeasure calipers and the stupid electrical impedance scale at the gym.

One advantage of being a skinny little weed is that I can buy clothes from Japanese stores now. Yay!

I’m extremely happy with the changes I’ve made, but I’m also extremely dissatisfied with my current state and I’m extremely keen to put on some damn muscle now. Time to kick some ass! My ass!

Miscellaneous notes:

At the beginning of this diet my circle of friends and family were divided roughly into 3 groups:

1. You’re crazy, obsessive and probably anorexic
  2. That sounds crazy. You’ve lost so much weight already. Good luck with it though! I’ll be cheering you on.
  3. Damn, dude. I really respect you for taking that on. If you want extraordinary results, I guess you have to do something extraordinary.

By the end of week 4, pretty much everyone is on board, and although many are saying ‘Jeez, dude. Stop now. You’re getting too thin’, everyone is impressed that I managed to do it, and impressed with the results.

Since I’ve started this, I’ve been joined on my challenge by one person, another has bought the supps and is preparing to start and yet another is asking for more information. Depending on how Chris and Biotest market and position the Velocity Diet, I think it can become one of the biggest dietary revolutions in history.

The limiting factors are that people automatically suspect they’re being cheated when you recommend a specific brand of anything to use on a diet (even if it IS the best), and Biotest needs to think about expanding into the international arena. Shipping fees for their products and import taxes make the diet prohibitively expensive, and if I was doing this diet in my native country (South Africa) instead of Japan, I would never be able to afford it.

Obviously South Africans aren’t a huge demographic, but people in the UK, Australia and Europe are probably dying to get their hands on some good supplements.
And on a side note, ALL Japan-manufactured supplements are UTTER CRAP and taste like ass.

Anyone who manages to bring good-tasting, high-quality supplements into this, the second largest economy in the word with 124 million people who are always looking for a fad health trip, is going to make some coin. You might have to wait a while longer for American imports like MacDonalds and so on to make them more properly fat-assed, since they’re naturally very lean (bastards).

Great results.

Agreed on the expense comment, Im here in the UK and would do this if not for the cost.

Hey, Growr, great job! Thanks for the detailed write-up of your V-Diet experience. I hope you’ll continue to update on progress as you progress through the transition phase. Keep up the good work!!!