Biotest

Great Chili Recipe?

Hey folks,

I’ve been scanning for a great chili recipe since it is easy to make in bulk and packs a ton of nutrients. I definitely want red kidney beans in mine (carb impact is apparently negligible and they have the 4th highest ORAC score) but I can’t seem to find a great recipe.

Any help?

I make chili all the time, but I haven’t typed up a formal V-Life recipe since I make it differently almost every time. But, if there’s interest, I’ll type one up soon.

(Pumpkin chili shown above.)

Another batch with avocado…

Do yours come out thick or do they have a soupy texture? Or does it depend on how you’re making it?

I think it’d be nice to see you give us a formal recipe. :smiley: I’ve done chili once and I’ve never tried again because it came out so horribly.

I would enjoy a chili recipe from ya! Do it up, Please!

[quote]Perpalicious wrote:
Do yours come out thick or do they have a soupy texture? Or does it depend on how you’re making it?

I think it’d be nice to see you give us a formal recipe. :smiley: I’ve done chili once and I’ve never tried again because it came out so horribly. [/quote]

You can make it how you like it. I usually go for thick and chunky. For me, it’s all in how you adjust the stock, and I never add plain water.

I’ll get something typed up when I get the chance.

Basic Chili:

2 lbs ground meat salt and pepper to taste (whatever, could be lamb and veal or chicken or beef and turkey)
2 small cans black beans (my preference, use any or none)
enough chili powder (chili, salt, garlic powder) to cover the meat with an even layer twice

Let it simmer for a bit and then eat.

For breakfast, heat up a bowl of chili and then pour it over 2 eggs cooked over easy. The fat in the yolks transport the flavors most excellently.

Any other time, I’ll just heat some up and eat it with a little shredded cheese on top and very occasionally, with a few corn chips.

Generally I only need the liquid from the beans, but if it’s a little dry I’ll add a cup of water and then let it simmer down.

I found that it was the tomatoes, not the beans that were detrimental to being in polite company. So, if that’s your problem, you might try ditching the tomato.

[quote]RockCrusher wrote:
Basic Chili:

2 lbs ground meat salt and pepper to taste (whatever, could be lamb and veal or chicken or beef and turkey)
2 small cans black beans (my preference, use any or none)
enough chili powder (chili, salt, garlic powder) to cover the meat with an even layer twice

Let it simmer for a bit and then eat.

For breakfast, heat up a bowl of chili and then pour it over 2 eggs cooked over easy. The fat in the yolks transport the flavors most excellently.

Any other time, I’ll just heat some up and eat it with a little shredded cheese on top and very occasionally, with a few corn chips.

Generally I only need the liquid from the beans, but if it’s a little dry, I’ll add a cup of water and then let it simmer down.

I found that it was the tomatoes, not the beans that were detrimental to being in polite company. So, if that’s your problem, you might try ditching the tomato.[/quote]

Sounds amazing with eggs!

I always request an excessive amount of cumin in it and a gigantic dollop of sour cream on it after it’s done.

Berardi has a recipe I like a lot in one of the Gourmet Nutrition books. Tons of veggies and meat and you can tweak the amount of beans pretty easily depending on how you feel about them. Definitely planning on experimenting with chili in general when I get back home from my break, looking forward to peoples ideas!

I love this recipe: http://www.health-bent.com/proteins/pumpkin-chili

[quote]floridagirl wrote:
[/quote]

“Paleo-friendly recipes that don’t look or taste like dog food.”

ROFLMAO!!! Thanks for the link! I’m not sure if I’m more thrilled about the recipes or the tagline that gave me great belly laughs!

[quote]floridagirl wrote:
[/quote]

Made this tonight and it is awesome, thanks for the link!

My dinner for tonight — lots of veggies with elk steak & deer sausage. It’s gonna be great :slight_smile:

[quote]n8tive wrote:
My dinner for tonight — lots of veggies with elk steak & deer sausage. It’s gonna be great :)[/quote]

NICE!!!

[quote]n8tive wrote:
My dinner for tonight — lots of veggies with elk steak & deer sausage. It’s gonna be great :)[/quote]

JEALOUS! I love wild game.

Finally typed my chili-making method up:

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/trashcan_chili