Biotest

Grace's Training Log - Started on 06/08/09

Hi, I started the V-Diet on Monday and I’m on Day 3. So far so good. I decided I better start my log and post my numbers, however mortifying they are. But forgive me, I couldn’t bring myself to take a photo. I can barely stand to look at myself in the mirror. It’s pretty awful and I am done getting depressed so I’m finally doing something about it. I know that after a month, I’ll see results and that is enough motivation to push me through each day. Reading everyone’s progress is also incredibly encouraging.

Some background info: My weight has fluctuated between skinny years and fat years, and lately between fat years and fatter years. I have bad arthritis in both knees from surgeries – 3 on the right, 2 on the left. I’ve learned to push through the pain. But I don’t use the knees as the excuse NOT to work out. I use happy hours and dinners and good weather to skip gym duty! What can I say, I love good food, wine and trying out new restaurants.

I am also turning 40 at the end of this year. I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around it … I’m in serious denial. But, it’s just more motivation to get it together.

Here are my stats:

Height 5’6
Weight 172
Neck 13.5
Chest - below bust 34.75
Chest - at bust 42
Bicep - Right 12.25
Bicep - Left 12.5
Forearm - Right 10
Forearm - Left 10
Wrist - Right 6.5
Wrist - Left 6.5
Waist - at belly button 39
Waist - at widest 40
Hips 43
Thigh - Upper Right 25
Thigh - Upper Left 26
Thigh - Lower Right 18.5
Thigh - Lower Left 19
Knee - Right 15.5
Knee - Left 14.5
Calf - Right 14.25
Calf - Left 14.75
Ankle - Right 8
Ankle - Left 8.25

Yup. I’m a fatty.

I opted to take Carbolin 19 and will double the dosage on Day 4. I felt a little nauseous for a couple of days with a bad headache. I’m sure I’m detoxing all the bad stuff. As I’m writing this, I’m pretty starved, but I can’t tell you what I’m craving. The shakes don’t taste THAT bad. I like vanilla and strawberry best. But when I snack, I’m more of a savory than a sweet tooth. What are the chances Biotest Laboratories will develop a savory shake that we can mix with hot water and make soup? You know, like tomato, nacho cheese, butternut squash… I bet they would sell out.

My goal is to post an “after” photo with pride. Till then, I’ll track my progress here. Looking forward to reading everyone’s success stories.

I’m off to the gym now to attempt a Romanian deadlift.

Grace

I’m liking the Chocolate Surge Recovery, does anyone know what the Original tastes like? I took someone’s advice to mix the Superfood with a little water to make a paste. It’s pretty tart but way better than mixing with the shakes. On Day 5 today. I weighed myself this morning (even though I told myself I wasn’t going to until the end), and I dropped 4.5 pounds!

My co-workers are doubting the safety of the program and giving me a hard time since I’m not eating solid foods. I just refer them to the website. My BF is super-supportive and has helped me stay focused.

good luck and way to go!! I too am getting alot of grief about this from others but
I feel better than ever IM on day 7

And I SO agree with you on the savory shakes
lol all i crave is a little salt!! :slight_smile:

have a great day

I had my HSM at a wedding anniversary reception last night. I stuck with the salmon, beef and veggies on the plate. So proud of myself for passing up the champagne, wine and cake!

Thanks Robilyn29 for the cheer! I’m on Day 7, too! I gave my boss some strawberry shake the other day and she was pleasantly surprised - said she expected it to taste gritty. She has since eased up.

Here’s my salt fix: I buy this freshly ground peanut butter at my local grocery store. Instead of mixing it in my shake, I measure out 2 tablespoons into a ramekin and sprinkle a pinch of sea salt over it. Okay, maybe 2 pinches.

I’m just about to post my first thread (just ordered the setup I need), but I thought I would respond here first.

Grace - you’ve got the right mind set right now. Use it to your advantage. Don’t let yourself cheat or splurge. Will it be hard? The hardest, but it will be worth it.

This includes the “before” picture. Take it. Don’t skip it. You’re already changing some, after doing this for a little bit, but it will still be better than nothing to do it now.
Now, I won’t say you’re foolish for not posting it now, but at least take it now. An “after” photo doesn’t do much without any reference.

Personally, I prefer to take the hard route and I’ll post my picture even though I know I will hate it. Especially after having been an avid weigihtlifter/excerise guy. I used to have a great body and no longer do. But I look at it as another challenge to overcome and I will definitely be looking back (shortly) to see how I had let myself go. I’ll use that as my motivation for the future.

My point is that you can do this, and you’ve got the attitude, don’t let yourself slip anywhere. Take the picture, eat the foods, to the steps, etc. Again, even if you don’t post the picture now, at least you’ll have it for a side-by-side comparison.

Keep up the good work, and don’t skimp on the work-out log. I’ve been doing it on paper and it helps to “keep you honest”. Posting online will be even more trying, and more beneficial.

Cheers,
Josh

[quote]jkukovec wrote:
I’m just about to post my first thread (just ordered the setup I need), but I thought I would respond here first.

Grace - you’ve got the right mind set right now. Use it to your advantage. Don’t let yourself cheat or splurge. Will it be hard? The hardest, but it will be worth it.

This includes the “before” picture. Take it. Don’t skip it. You’re already changing some, after doing this for a little bit, but it will still be better than nothing to do it now.
Now, I won’t say you’re foolish for not posting it now, but at least take it now. An “after” photo doesn’t do much without any reference.

Personally, I prefer to take the hard route and I’ll post my picture even though I know I will hate it. Especially after having been an avid weigihtlifter/excerise guy. I used to have a great body and no longer do. But I look at it as another challenge to overcome and I will definitely be looking back (shortly) to see how I had let myself go. I’ll use that as my motivation for the future.

My point is that you can do this, and you’ve got the attitude, don’t let yourself slip anywhere. Take the picture, eat the foods, to the steps, etc. Again, even if you don’t post the picture now, at least you’ll have it for a side-by-side comparison.

Keep up the good work, and don’t skimp on the work-out log. I’ve been doing it on paper and it helps to “keep you honest”. Posting online will be even more trying, and more beneficial.

Cheers,
Josh[/quote]

How kind of you to post on my log. Thanks for the encouraging words Josh. I actually figured out how to set the timer on my new camera for the purpose of taking my “before” shot. And you’re totally right, even if I decide not to post it, I’ll have it as a device to keep me from going back to my bad habits. Just one look and I’ll gross myself out enough to drop the drumstick and pass up another serving of mashed potatoes.

I didn’t want to begin the program if I knew I wasn’t going to give it an honest attempt. No cheating, no skimping, no letting others talk me into drinking or eating. In fact, the only skimping I’ve done is not taking in enough shakes on workout days. I printed out the workout log to take to the gym, get my gym bag packed the night before, keep an extra shaker and container of protein at the office – so no excuses. I’m on Day 8 today, feeling good, although I didn’t see a big weight drop yet. Looking forward to weeks 3 and 4 for the real results.

Also, I wanted to add that I’m being realistic with the weight loss. I don’t expect to lose 45 pounds in one month! My goal was to jumpstart with this diet and continue on until it happens.

Lots of patience and mental stamina to you both when you eventually begin. I’ll check your log to see how you’re progressing. GOOD LUCK!

Day 11 today. A co-worker said she noticed my face looked thinner (I wish my gut and butt would follow). I’m noticing a taste difference between shakes with the L-Lucein and without. I never really could tell before. I feel sort of queasy after my dinner shake. I am also having a hard time getting in the last shake of the day, that I’ve skipped it 4 days in a row along with my peanut butter. I just don’t want it. And I’ve lost the craving for the salt. What is happening to me?!

Day 13 = HSM No. 2 day! First course: sashimi, seaweed salad, tuna tartare. Second course: Grilled steaks with grilled asparagus and green onions. Cold sake for the boyfriend, diet soda for me… Got my fill, I’m ready for Week 3!

Good work to date!! You’re half-way there!

Don’t skip shakes though, calories are carefully calculated on this plan and you need them all to keep your metabolism revved up! Plug and chug if you have to.

My tastes and cravings continued to change in the last two weeks, it was well worth hanging on to the end in terms of changing my attitude towards food. Don’t know if that helps motivate you or not (seems like you’re not short in the motivation department anyhow!).

Good luck

Day 19 today. I’m finding I look forward to my lifting days. It just feels odd that I’m only doing 4 exercises, sometimes I throw in a couple more because I still have the energy and I’m lifting relatively heavy weights. The V-challenge kicks my butt though. My knees still get stiff but working out actually helps with the arthritis. I haven’t taken any Ibuprofen since starting the diet. Wearing my knee sleeves during workouts helps, too.

I’m fantasizing about my HSM tomorrow! As hungry as I am, I did NOT have any of these red velvets I made for a co-worker’s birthday.

I wish folks would not post pictures of food here LOL It’s a total mind-screw LOL

What are your numbers, Grace, in comparison to your starting point? How are you doing?

[quote]FGG wrote:
I wish folks would not post pictures of food here LOL It’s a total mind-screw LOL

What are your numbers, Grace, in comparison to your starting point? How are you doing?[/quote]

You know, I haven’t measured yet. I’m on Day 25 today. Compared to my starting point? I was weak and pathetic. The scale only says 11 pounds down, but I’m gaining muscle which feels outstanding. Got into a pair of favorite jeans, moved another knotch on the belt and best of all I’m not walking down the stairs like an old woman in my high heels!

I read your training log this evening and posted a comment. I know how hard it can be without wine (I miss it, too!) but for me, it’s a great feeling of accomplishment not giving in. That’s why I had to post the red velvet photo. Sorry!

And this weekend is the Fourth of July and I will have to toast our country’s independence with Diet Coke! Traditionally it’s pina coladas at the Hotel Del overlooking the beach, but alas, I have to bring my shakers along. The vanilla shake almost looks like a pina colada if you squint hard enough… the shakes have made me delusional!!

Thank goodness I didn’t have to give up coffee! I drink it black, so it wasn’t a sacrifice to give up cream and sugar. I also have this great green tea - Jackie Chan Super Green Tea – and mix that up between my shakes. Gives you great energy before workouts.

But don’t do what I’ve been doing - skipping shakes. I don’t do it on purpose, I just can’t suck them down fast enough. I do love the Chocolate Recovery, now THAT I can drink all day.

I’m going to post my final numbers the two weeks after Day 28. Will I attempt this again? Most definitely, but I think these shakes will become part of my daily routine from here on out.

I would drive myself nuts if I didn’t take my weekly measurements :slight_smile: But if you are seeing progress without, then good for you! So far, I’m not missing the wine at all, which is pretty cool–I thought that would be the hardest.

I have started to count down the shakes daily because I think I have missed one or two in the last days. Not that I’m hungry, but I don’t want to cut my myself short. Thanks for the advice there.

Only three more days for you until transitioning-Best of luck and success (not that I think you need it.) Can’t wait to see your progress in your numbers!

[quote]FGG wrote:
I would drive myself nuts if I didn’t take my weekly measurements :slight_smile: But if you are seeing progress without, then good for you! So far, I’m not missing the wine at all, which is pretty cool–I thought that would be the hardest.

I have started to count down the shakes daily because I think I have missed one or two in the last days. Not that I’m hungry, but I don’t want to cut my myself short. Thanks for the advice there.

Only three more days for you until transitioning-Best of luck and success (not that I think you need it.) Can’t wait to see your progress in your numbers![/quote]

Oh I still need all the encouragement I can get. Thank you for the well wishes!

Day 28 today! I planned it so that I could eat on the Fourth of July yesterday and my bun-less burger was delish! I found I did get full very fast.

One thing I noticed was the program only suggested 1 container of Surge Recovery. I ran out at the end of Phase 1. Aren’t we supposed to continue to use it in Phase 2 after workout days? I ordered more chocolate, but it won’t come in time for tomorrow’s workout. So order more for Phase 2 if you haven’t yet already!

I’m looking forward to the next phase. I’ll post my numbers in the next day or so!

You’re welcome on the encouragement…and very nice to see that you starting transitioning today. Can’t wait to see your progress update!

Did a quick weigh-in this morning and after 28 days on the V-Diet I have lost 12.5 pounds! I dropped 2 dress sizes! Yippee! But the best thing of all is the new mindset. I’m looking forward to Phase 2 now even more. To all you newbies out there: If you can truly stick to this program, you can do ANYTHING. I’m excited for you!