Biotest

Getting Ready to Start V-Diet, Options

Hi everyone. I’m getting ready to start the V-Diet May 1st. I’m going to post more details about my situation, but before I get started, I need to ask a question that I hate asking, especially on a T-Nation forum. But, this is the V-Diet place, so here goes.

I’m ready to follow the diet/exercise plan strictly. I’ve read everything (eight times), started buying the stuff, and am excited about changing this 50 year-old body so that I can keep up with the 14 and 9 year-old sons I have.

Here’s the problem. I have tried many protein shakes over the years, and they are all OK, some are really good (I love the Muscle Milk). However, when I bought Metabolic Drive a few months ago, I found I couldn’t take the taste. After trying it about 5-10 times, I found myself gagging before I could finish the shake.

Now, please don’t take this as a detrimental review of this product. I know others that use and love it, and it is obviously one of the best, if not the best, ‘protein drinks’ on the market. It’s just that for some reason (I don’t know why), I do not like the taste. I really tried to get over myself WRT this as well, changing up the mix etc. over a couple weeks, but just found myself getting more and more unable to drink the whole shake. Pisses me off, but there you have it…

So, finally, the question: What is an alternative protein for the V-Diet? Please don’t answer with ‘there is none, you’ll fail w/o Metabolic Drive’, cuz I’m gonna do this thing anyway, and I think there are alternatives that are fairly close to Metabolic Drive. I’d just like some ideas.

I accept replacing Metabolic Drive is not the best way to do the diet and that I’ll not do as well w/o the exact formulations. I also know that this site gives away this cutting-edge program, and supports itself in part by selling these products. It is presumptuous of me to some degree to ask this question here; but as I said, this is the home of the V-Diet, so I’ll ask.

I’ve looked at MET-Rx Protein-Plus and it seems pretty close, but I’m not sure. Should I stay away from certain protein types? I know I’ve got to keep the carbs low. I’m trying to match the protein grams and calories per serving overall as well, etc.

Please help! I feel like a pussy over this, and initially I was determined to just make it work, then to find a protein that I liked and use it, w/o mentioning it on the forums. But, we’re all grown-ups (mostly), so I thought I’d just state my dilemma and get some experienced opinions.

Thanks everyone. This diet is what I’ve been looking for for a long time. I’m gonna kick ass on this thing…

bump. I can’t find this post on the forums…

ah. here it is! It’s on the wrong page! It’s a conspiracy! ha!

Mod Starr found my post and put it in the right place. Thank you!

Now, does anyone have any options for me? Thanks in advance.

Well, I’ve gone out and bought a few other protein drinks and tried them out. Here’s what I found (so far):

• MetRx Protein Plus - tastes like Metabolic Drive (MD), but not as hard to take
  • Pro complex - not bad
  • Monster Milk (sic) - tastes pretty good

all chocolate except PROcomplex which was banana cream.

I think I could live with ProComp or MM, but probably not MetRx. MM looks like it is more unlike MD than ProComp, which has almost no fat and half the carbs. They are all “protein blends”, and so I think at least close to MD; again, I know this is not the diet as prescribed herein…

Sorcer

Is it the taste or the texture that get you on the MD?

[quote]hammerhead70 wrote:
Is it the taste or the texture that get you on the MD?[/quote]

It’s the taste. Tried the Surge tonight, and thought that would taste just like MD, but it doesn’t taste too bad.

I think I’m getting close to a decision…I’ve got to get going on this…but found out last week I’m off to Beijing at the end of May. So I need to think about when I can do 6 weeks in a row.

One thing that helped me a lot was watering down the shakes by increasing the water content by about 25-50 percent. I was really struggling w/ the shakes until I started to do this. You may want to give that a try too.

[quote]ATXwolverine wrote:
One thing that helped me a lot was watering down the shakes by increasing the water content by about 25-50 percent. I was really struggling w/ the shakes until I started to do this. You may want to give that a try too.[/quote]

I agree or you could go the other route and try the pudding type of mixture. In addition there are a lot of flavoring/mixture concoctions in the threads. If nothing else try this: 1 shot glass of MD, 1 shot glass of tequila repeat until shake is gone or passed out. (sorry cinco de drinko still on the brain). However a beer bong, hmmmm

[quote]hammerhead70 wrote:
If nothing else try this: 1 shot glass of MD, 1 shot glass of tequila repeat until shake is gone…[/quote]

I double dog dare you to try that then do a V Burn routine.

[quote]sorcer wrote:
Here’s the problem. I have tried many protein shakes over the years, and they are all OK, some are really good (I love the Muscle Milk). However, when I bought Metabolic Drive a few months ago, I found I couldn’t take the taste. After trying it about 5-10 times, I found myself gagging before I could finish the shake.[/quote]

I’ve tried to do the V-Diet using other powders and never lasted long - like a day. Something about those other shakes (and I tried several brands) didn’t work as well as MD did.

My suggestion would be to try using extracts. I started using raspberry, orange and mint and really like the differences, though I didn’t have much of a problem with tasting the shakes beforehand.

If you’re going to use other powders, then I’d suggest paying attention to how “filled” you feel after drinking one and how long it lasts. I’d get hungry pretty quickly, other times it was like I drank nothing at all.

[quote]Tech9 wrote:
sorcer wrote:
Here’s the problem. I have tried many protein shakes over the years, and they are all OK, some are really good (I love the Muscle Milk). However, when I bought Metabolic Drive a few months ago, I found I couldn’t take the taste. After trying it about 5-10 times, I found myself gagging before I could finish the shake.

I’ve tried to do the V-Diet using other powders and never lasted long - like a day. Something about those other shakes (and I tried several brands) didn’t work as well as MD did.

My suggestion would be to try using extracts. I started using raspberry, orange and mint and really like the differences, though I didn’t have much of a problem with tasting the shakes beforehand.

If you’re going to use other powders, then I’d suggest paying attention to how “filled” you feel after drinking one and how long it lasts. I’d get hungry pretty quickly, other times it was like I drank nothing at all.
[/quote]

Thanks all. I think the extracts are a good idea.

On my way to the gym to try out the beginner lifts…

“Hi everyone!
I went to the gym tonight for the first time in a long while! I tried out the beginner lifts, doing 1 set of most of them while studying the pics to make sure I did them correctly and, OMG! Now I’m trying to think of the best way to describe how I feel! …”

…Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck…

I’m so outta shape I think I’m gonna kill myself.

Last post for a while.

going OOT for a couple weeks at the end of May, so I’m gonna wait.

Starting back up on a HIIT workout till then, trying to drop a few lbs and strengthen myself a bit - core - before starting.

Still playing with the shakes, but feeling better about how to manage the taste with extracts etc.