Biotest

Fraggles Log

Hey there, just starting day one of the V-Diet. I’m 34 years old, and looking to lose about 10lbs of fat, and break some bad habits I’ve fallen into. A big reason I’m doing this is because I’ve found that any extended hiking is hard on my knees and feet at my present weight.

Measurements

Height 5 feet 6.5 inches
Weight 197 lbs cheap scale says about 13.6% body fat, which is probably in the ballpark.

Neck - 16
Shoulders - 52
Chest Upper - 43
Chest Lower - 39
Waist navel - 36
Waist largest - 36
Hips - 41
Upper arm Left - 16
Upper arm Right - 16
Upper Leg Left - 26
Upper Leg Right - 26
Lower Leg Left - 17.5
Lower Leg Right - 17.5
Ankle Left - 9.5
Ankle Right - 9.5

Day one started so far so good, with no missed meals and only a slight bit of hunger

Extra supplements used will include:

Regularly
Creatine
ZMA
Curcumin

Occasionally
Powerdrive
Ephedrine + Caffeine

Started the day with a half hour of walking with the dog.

Workout on Day 1 - 20 reps per exercise, took approximately 35 minutes including set up and warm up sets.

Bent over barbell rows @ 225 lbs over 7 sets

It took me about 5 sets to figure out a heavy enough weight, so I may be able to do a little more next time around.

Overhead squat @ 115 lbs over 5 sets

Last time I did overhead squats I was able to do 135lbs for sets of ten, but when I tried it now I nearly dropped it on my head at the bottom. Legs and core did not seem too taxed.

Dips @ BW + 40 lbs over 10 sets
Fatigued pretty quickly, mostly in the triceps portion of the lift.

Ab Wheel rollout over 4 sets
Did first set on knees, and found it incredibly easy. On the second set attempted to do it on toes, and failed miserably without bringing it back in.

Couldn’t seem to get the pics any better than this. I may try later on when my fiance gets back in town.

I thought I was able to attach more than one pic per post before, but am getting denied now.

Last pic

I finished my third shake an hour ago now and the cravings have not stopped. I’m chewing some sugar free gum and tried the mint tea trick, and it is just barely keeping me from going nuts and pigging out.

Only 26 more days…

Have you tried green tea? It really helped me out in the first week. Chew the gum if you absolutely must, but I have read several times in other posts from Chris, to stay away from the gum as you are trying to break the habit of food. Just a suggestion.
Good luck. Day 3 was the worst for me, but after that it got a lot better.

We do have similar builds and muscle mass and I was pretty hungry as well. This is just my personal opinion, but I think the people that say they are absolutely stuffed from the shakes and have trouble finishing all of them during the day, have less muscle mass and have a lower resting metabolism because there wasn’t one time during my 28 days that I ever even considered skipping a shake because I was “too full”. I went from a “bulking” diet where I was eating about 3500-4500 calories a day (where I added more fat than I wanted to, hence the V-Diet) to 1900 a day, so it was quite an adjustment for my body.

[quote]hockeydawg wrote:
Have you tried green tea? It really helped me out in the first week. Chew the gum if you absolutely must, but I have read several times in other posts from Chris, to stay away from the gum as you are trying to break the habit of food. Just a suggestion.
Good luck. Day 3 was the worst for me, but after that it got a lot better.

We do have similar builds and muscle mass and I was pretty hungry as well. This is just my personal opinion, but I think the people that say they are absolutely stuffed from the shakes and have trouble finishing all of them during the day, have less muscle mass and have a lower resting metabolism because there wasn’t one time during my 28 days that I ever even considered skipping a shake because I was “too full”. I went from a “bulking” diet where I was eating about 3500-4500 calories a day (where I added more fat than I wanted to, hence the V-Diet) to 1900 a day, so it was quite an adjustment for my body. [/quote]

The times I’ve tried green tea in the past it has given me a bit of nausea, so I don’t know if thats an option. I did try the mint tea that was mentioned before, and it helped a bit. I hadn’t read that bit about gum, so I guess I will leave that for a last resort.

I’m thinking you are right about the muscle and hunger thing, as I couldn’t believe it the few times I’ve read people saying they couldn’t finish their shakes. The only other thing I could see it being is that my stomach is getting used to actually being empty, but that doesn’t seem as likely as I’ve been hungry both during and after sipping a shake.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Well, still on the diet, and the hunger is pretty much omnipresent, with the occasional respite. My first HSM was incredible, a jerk chicken with a mango salsa, asparagus and a bit of potato slices seasoned just right.

The weekend was insanely busy, traveling 5 hours after work Friday to Edmonton to get my initial fitting for a tux, helping my fiance recover from minor surgery, and squeezing in my workouts.

A bit of a setback in that I missed my workout Monday, due to what would be just not enough planning. I had gotten up early, left on time, had the gym in my GPS, and even had spoken to my future inlaws about how much parking was available in the area. I really should have checked out locations of parking in the area beforehand though. I drove down that morning and by the time I found a parking spot that wasn’t a 15-20 minute walk, I had only enough time to finish half a workout before I had to get ready for my conference.

I managed to get it in yesterday, and will be doing my vburn today to round out the first week.

I’ve had some sad moments thus far, using my finger to scrape the last couple pieces of flaxseed off the side of the blender, and licking any little bit of protein powder that would get stuck to my finger.

I will try to give some more details later on, as I’ve had to put in a few extra hours at work to catch up.

Okay, so back to Saturday April 2nd. Woke up by a whining dog at 5:30, so took him for an hour walk.

Had my first two meals and headed for the gym at noon for the 2nd workout. This was the medium range for 40 reps with 45 seconds rest per set.

Lat Pulldowns, 165lbs over 6 sets

Incline Dumbbell presses - 65lbs each over 10 sets. Triceps gave out first, dropping to 4 reps on the 3rd set.

Romanian Deadlifts - 315lbs over 11 sets. This just about killed me, and stayed with me for the rest of the workout. I ended up using a mixed grip, as that was how I used to do them before starting the V diet.

Barbell Curls 70 lbs over 6 sets. There was some body english here on the last few sets.

Hanging Leg raises over 5 sets. I slightly hyper extended my knee on a patch of ice on the morning NEPA walk, which led to some bad knee pain when doing the first set, so I had to switch to knee raises, which were not nearly as taxing.

I had to rest in the change room for ten minutes after, as I was a little light headed, and shaky.

Hunger was particularly bad that day, and it didn’t help that there were some very fragrant meals being cooked that day.

Sunday and Monday, April 3rd & 4th

Did my morning fasted walk, for 40 and 30 minutes respectively.

Missed the workout on Monday for the reasons given before. I figured it was better that I get in a whole workout rather than just half of one. Monday after my conference it was a five hour drive back home, and no time to get it in.

Tuesday April 5th.
40 minutes fasted walk and a relatively easy day with bad cravings for only a few hours.

3rd workout, Heavy load, for 25 reps with 30s rest.

Front Squat - 225lbs over 6 sets. Didn’t feel too bad on the quads, but upper back was starting to round so limited load.

Close Grip Bench Press - 185lbs over 13 sets. This was an eye opener on how weak my triceps are. It was still coming off the chest easy on the 13th set, but stalled every time halfway through.

Chinup BW + 30lbs over 11 sets. My biceps were again a bit of a weak point, but not nearly as bad as the triceps.

Dumbbell Push Press - 55lbs over 12 sets. My triceps and shoulders were pretty fried from the close grips still, and I’m pretty sure I could have done way more normally. Typically I used the barbell for push presses, but the sole squat rack was way too crowded to get in.

Finished VBurn challenge, and either it is tough as hell, or my anaerobic fitness is beyond terrible. I did have to make some major modifications on the fly.

By the time I got to the handstand pushups, I couldn’t do a single one. I substituted in clapping pushups.

Then on the 2nd circuit, my shoulders were so fatigued I could barely finish the walkouts on my toes, and ended up doing pike pushups instead of the clapping pushups. 3rd circuit I had to switch to walkouts on my knees, as my shoulders and triceps were too fatigued to do them safely on my toes.

All in all, it took me 26 minutes to finish, though a few of those minutes were to look up alternate exercises to sub in.

I don’t know if it was just shoulder and triceps fatigue from yesterdays workout, but they were an obvious weakness again. It makes me wonder if I should be slightly altering the workouts to increase emphasis on the metabolic challenge without running into the wall of poor strength endurance.

Ah well, the first seven days are done, and the cravings have reduced in severity.

Second week starts tomorrow, will take measurements tomorrow.

Weight yesterday morning was down 3lbs, but I’m assuming that is mostly water. Cravings have reduced greatly in frequency and duration, though smells seem to trigger them pretty easily.

Workout 1 of the 2nd week was good yesterday. I’ve found it the least taxing of any of the workouts. Though I still work up a good sweat, I don’t feel like laying on the floor for ten minutes after.

Down to 25 seconds rest, it didn’t feel much more difficult, and didn’t actually take any more sets to completion. In fact, I did the dips in one fewer sets than the first week.

Down a 1/2 inch on navel measurement, but I’m thinking thats more to do with decreased stomach size than fat. I’m thinking the next week or two will be the real story.

Neck - 16
Shoulders - 52
Chest Upper - 43
Chest Lower - 39
Waist navel - 35.5
Waist largest - 35.5
Hips - 41
Upper arm Left - 16
Upper arm Right - 16
Upper Leg Left - 26
Upper Leg Right - 26
Lower Leg Left - 17.5
Lower Leg Right - 17.5
Ankle Left - 9.5
Ankle Right - 9.5

Two weeks done as of today, and am down roughly 5lbs, to 191.4 lbs. My fiance says I do look leaner, though I still suspect that it may be just less water.

The hunger has levelled off and is not that bad anymore. I still find myself craving salty, meaty foods. At times I would kill for a cheeseburger or tacos. I don’t know if it is the sweetness of the shakes, but I could care less about sweet foods, and haven’t really looked twice at any that have crossed my path.

My HSM was okay, though a little disapointing as my steak was a little tough and grisly. It looked delicious, but when I started chewing, my heart sank a little. Ah well, I’m due for another HSM in the next few days, so I can wait.

The workouts, though hard, have not reduced me to a shaking mess as they did the first week. This was a good experience just for the fact that it forced me to shorten the rest periods, which I’ve always hated. I have fell into a steady pattern with my NEPA. A morning walk with the dog for 30-45 minutes, and a second most evenings with the dog and fiance. My knee is still a little iffy, and I occasionally have to cut out the evening walk when it starts to feel really funny. I’ve also noticed a slight bit of elbow tendonitis flaring up every now and then. I’ve started icing them both after workouts, and make sure I am wearing a sleeve for each. I really don’t want to be sidelined before finishing the diet due to injury.

The 2nd VBurn is this afternoon, and I can honestly say I am not looking forward to it.

Finished Vburn challenge late last night. It wasn’t as bad as the first one, but still kicked my ass.

An interesting thing I noticed both times was that I spent the night flapping the covers off of me like a menopausal woman. My fiance complained that I was way too hot and gross to cuddle with (thanks honey). And this was including a cold shower immediately after the workout.

A client is insisting on taking me out to lunch today, and it looks like I might have to switch up my solid meal day. He is a middle eastern guy, and the concept of not eating lunch while he does is insulting apparently. It’s a shame to have to waste it on a restaraunt meal.

It’s been a week since I last posted, no excuse but being lazy on updating the log.

Last Saturday I tweaked my back on my fourth set of deadlifts, and although that exercise was finished, I managed to do the rest of the workout as prescribed. On Monday, it was feeling a little better, with the liberal use of Ice and the occasional NSAID. I attempted front squats, and after three sets the pain had ramped up enough that I figured it was probably better if I stopped. Interestingly enough, it still hurt moderately bad on both close grip benches and the push presses, despite lowered weight. Weighted chinups were fine and went off without a hitch. After a brief attempt at the Vburn, I gave up, as it seemed just about any movement I attempted quickly would punish me. For a few days, even sneezing hurt like hell.

Well, I went into the doctors yesterday, and after some tests, he figured it was the beginning of a herniated disc. I didn’t have time to go for an Xray, but it does sound like that is the most likely culprit. My dad is a chiropractor, and through a weekend telephone diagnosis he mentioned that as a possibility. Both of them said absolutely no weight training until it’s healed. I suggested to my dad that I just do exercises that wouldn’t stress it, and he basically said there’s no way to be sure what exercises will damage it further.

It kind of sucks to be slacking off on the anaerobic exercise, as despite it kicking the crap out of me, there was the sense of accomplishment and adrenaline rush that made it all worth it. I decided to try and up the walking as much as I could, and to incorporate some isometric holds.

It doesn’t really feel like I am finishing it properly, I will at least stick to the diet portion. From previous experience with dieting, I know it is the most important thing when trying to control bodyfat levels.

I was down 6lbs this morning, and have managed to follow the diets despite some wicked cravings and hunger pangs the first 2 weeks. They aren’t so bad now, usually only when big meaty dish is within smelling distance.
Interestingly, I could not care less for anything sweet right now. Though I never had a huge sweet tooth, I wouldn’t turn down a nice looking dessert either. I suspect its the sweetness of the shakes in general, with the desperate lack of salty meaty foods in my diet.

I felt the same way… people would wave ice cream in front of me taunting me and I could care less but a burger or a steak I had to remove my self from the area. Around day 16 or so I really got into the routine, shakes started tasting better and really just didn’t have a problem with it at all.