Biotest

Flourless Pizza. Finally

[quote]Chimera23 wrote:
Wow, thank you, thank you, thank you! During the V-Diet the ONLY thing I craved consistently was pizza and lasagna. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), my body reacts terribly to wheat, so even pizza or pasta as a cheat is unpleasant. This totally satisfies ALL my cravings!

I made it last night for my boyfriend and me. I agree the crust could be a little firmer, but the taste is incredible. I made two batches so we could have leftovers for today’s lunch. Next time I’m thinking of mixing a little flax into the cauliflower crust to absorb some of the moisture and add a little omega-3.

Once again, THANK YOU! This recipe is amazing![/quote]

if you are looking for an alternative to Lasagne try just replacing the pasta with Obergine (egg plant) makes it more like a mousaka but works well :slight_smile:

Hey Chris, what do you think about this pizza crust? I figure it’s worth a try, the whole thing has 13g carbs (10g fiber)

http://www.vivalowcarb.com/Products/Health-Express-Pizza-Crust-Original-(BREAD-SHIPPING)__130.aspx

[quote]Aaron_01 wrote:
Hey Chris, what do you think about this pizza crust? I figure it’s worth a try, the whole thing has 13g carbs (10g fiber)

http://www.vivalowcarb.com/Products/Health-Express-Pizza-Crust-Original-(BREAD-SHIPPING)__130.aspx[/quote]

Contains some almond flour, but also a couple of grain/wheat ingredients. No good for those who’ve decided not to eat grass any more. Better to make your own.

Cool man, thanks for the quick response

I made a pizza/calzone in my cast iron skillet. It turned out pretty good, had a bit more smokey?? flavor to it and was a bit soggier than I am used to eating it. But it was excellent.

Put the crust in cast iron skillet
cook it about 5 minutes longer than you would your normal pizza stone, pan or whatever you use
add sauce, cheese, veggie & meat ingredients, add another small layer of cheese
put back in over for a while

let cool and eat it off the stove, right out of the pan with a fork :slight_smile:

Great recipe, thanks Chris.

I made 2 versions : regular with turkey bacon, peppers, homemade sauce(from scratch), low-fat mozz and mushrooms. Then a mexican version with grilled chicked, low-fat jack cheese, avocado and jalapenos.

Both were great, i just need to find a way to wring all the moisture out of the “dough” before cooking.

[quote]ADTS2 wrote:
Great recipe, thanks Chris.

I made 2 versions : regular with turkey bacon, peppers, homemade sauce(from scratch), low-fat mozz and mushrooms. Then a mexican version with grilled chicked, low-fat jack cheese, avocado and jalapenos.

Both were great, i just need to find a way to wring all the moisture out of the “dough” before cooking.[/quote]

I just roll into fist-sized balls and squeeze them between my hands over the sink. They don’t have to be totally dry, just not sopping wet.

BTW, I’ve been boiling the cauliflower instead of steaming it here lately. Moisture is about the same, but boiling is much faster. Boiling frozen bagged pre-cut cauliflower really speeds up the process.

Finally made one!! it was awesome,now i can have a saturday pizza every week!!

A bit too much water left in it but still holds pretty well!

[quote]duodie wrote:
Finally made one!! it was awesome,now i can have a saturday pizza every week!![/quote]

Looks good!

I just eat mine with a fork. Why slice it if you’re going to eat the whole damn thing in one sitting anyway, right?

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]duodie wrote:
Finally made one!! it was awesome,now i can have a saturday pizza every week!![/quote]

Looks good!

I just eat mine with a fork. Why slice it if you’re going to eat the whole damn thing in one sitting anyway, right?

[/quote]

For me psychologically pizza must be eaten by hand. Maybe that’s the issue I’ll deal with on the next V-Diet

Last night’s version: Canadian bacon, avocado, and turkey pepperoni with chopped olives baked into the crust.

I feel that I have perfected this recipe, so I posted a step-by-step tutorial: http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com/2010/11/cauliflower-pizza.html

[quote]floridagirl wrote:
I feel that I have perfected this recipe, so I posted a step-by-step tutorial: http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com/2010/11/cauliflower-pizza.html[/quote]
IMPRESSIVE!

as are your other blog posts. nice work.

My wife and 16 yr old daughter (daughter has had type 1 diabetes since age 3) have both vowed to never have Little Ceasars again! Freakin’ HOME RUN on this one. We just devoured one for lunch!

Thanks Chris!!

[quote]narives wrote:
My wife and 16 yr old daughter (daughter has had type 1 diabetes since age 3) have both vowed to never have Little Ceasars again! Freakin’ HOME RUN on this one. We just devoured one for lunch!

Thanks Chris!![/quote]

That looks great!

If you can win over a teen you know it’s good!

After I saw the Cheeseburger Pizza in Shugart’s other thread, I decided to give it a try so I made it for breakfast just now.

Tastes great - the only thing I’d recommend is to add cheese on top of the crust as well as on top of the other toppings put on it to add to the “cheeseburger”. Didn’t put enough down so it’s like having a regular pizza (which is still good, don’t get me wrong!).

Check this out, guys. Personal pan pizzas using the cauliflower crust, baked and served in small cast iron pans. Turkey pepperoni and olive.
[/quote]

I think cast iron is key. I made one with the pizza pan and one with a cast iron and the cast iron had a firmer crust all the way through. The trick for me was to have the cast iron heating over a burner with some good fat to coat the pan - I render beef fat and save it for this purpose.

When you plop the dough ball in the hot cast iron you have to be quick AND careful to spread the “dough” out. In the pic, I used one “dough” ball and it wasn’t enough to cover the bottom of a ~10" cast iron pan.

It cooked so well, I’m thinking about trying a thicker crust next time…mmmm, deep dish pizza.

[quote]TorqIt wrote:

Check this out, guys. Personal pan pizzas using the cauliflower crust, baked and served in small cast iron pans. Turkey pepperoni and olive.
[/quote]

I think cast iron is key. I made one with the pizza pan and one with a cast iron and the cast iron had a firmer crust all the way through. The trick for me was to have the cast iron heating over a burner with some good fat to coat the pan - I render beef fat and save it for this purpose.

When you plop the dough ball in the hot cast iron you have to be quick AND careful to spread the “dough” out. In the pic, I used one “dough” ball and it wasn’t enough to cover the bottom of a ~10" cast iron pan.

It cooked so well, I’m thinking about trying a thicker crust next time…mmmm, deep dish pizza.[/quote]

So do you pan fry the dough instead of baking it? Did you have trouble flipping it?

[quote]tomkade wrote:

[quote]TorqIt wrote:

[/quote]

It cooked so well, I’m thinking about trying a thicker crust next time…mmmm, deep dish pizza.[/quote]

So do you pan fry the dough instead of baking it? Did you have trouble flipping it? [/quote]

I should have specified - the bottom starts to pan fry as you spread it in the pan, then you put it in the oven like normal on the specified temperature for the specified time.