Biotest

Flourless Pizza. Finally

Holy Cow this Pizza is freaking awesome. Very very good. My kids (4 & 7) loved it too!!!

[quote]n8tive wrote:
Very very good. My kids (4 & 7) loved it too!!![/quote]

And THAT may be the ultimate compliment!

I made this today and kind of f’ed up the crust. It was browned before I put on the toppings, but I guess not brown enough. When I pulled it out of the oven to eat the crust was still very gooey. Makes a tasty casserole though.

Chris, this is a great recipe - will try this, as I was wondering how to get more cauliflower into my diet.
(Would this work with broccoli?)

However, I am reminded of an awesome no-bread hamburger recipe I thought up awhile ago.

Is it Ok if post it here? Not sure how to contact you otherwise…please advise!

[quote]'nuffsaid wrote:
Chris, this is a great recipe - will try this, as I was wondering how to get more cauliflower into my diet.

However, I am reminded of an awesome no-bread hamburger recipe I thought up awhile ago.

Is it Ok if post it here? Not sure how to contact you otherwise…please advise![/quote]

1. Broccoli has a stronger, “greener” flavor compared to cauliflower’s neutral flavor. It would work, but you’d definitely get that broccoli taste, and of course a green pizza crust.

2. Post away!

I made one the other night and it came out pretty crisp on the bottom. I grated the cauliflower and steamed it in the microwave and wrung it out in a paper towel, mixed with the cheeses and egg and used one of the pizza pans with the vent holes in the bottom. The only problem I ran into…naturally, was that it pushed through the holes as I was spreading it on the pan. I may try forming it on some wax paper next time and then flipping it onto the pan all at once. Great recipe, thanks Chris!

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]'nuffsaid wrote:

Is it Ok if post it here? Not sure how to contact you otherwise…please advise![/quote]

1. Broccoli has a stronger, “greener” flavor compared to cauliflower’s neutral flavor. It would work, but you’d definitely get that broccoli taste, and of course a green pizza crust.

2. Post away!

[/quote]

Yummy, green crust…:slight_smile:

Re the no-bread burger, simply use the cups of two giant mushrooms instead of bread buns for your burger! One on the bottom (frill side up) fill with meat and the etceteras and cover with another giant mushroom, frill side down. Tastier if they’re a little steamed or heated.

Absolutely yummy with a touch of pesto and avocado, cucumber etc. I like chicken burgers but next time I have beef will try this too.

You could do this with smaller mushrooms too, for mini-burgers. Very cute, great for parties.

I don’t know how much mushrooms cost in your town but it could run into some money, if the prices where i live are any indication.
Still, lots of fun, nutritious and tasty, even if only done occasionally!

Cheers!:slight_smile:

[quote]'nuffsaid wrote:

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]'nuffsaid wrote:

2. Post away!

[/quote]

Yummy, green crust…:slight_smile:

Re the no-bread burger, simply use the cups of two giant mushrooms instead of bread buns for your burger! One on the bottom (frill side up) fill with meat and the etceteras and cover with another giant mushroom, frill side down. Tastier if they’re a little steamed or heated.

Absolutely yummy with a touch of pesto and avocado, cucumber etc. I like chicken burgers but next time I have beef will try this too.

You could do this with smaller mushrooms too, for mini-burgers. Very cute, great for parties.

I don’t know how much mushrooms cost in your town but it could run into some money, if the prices where i live are any indication.
Still, lots of fun, nutritious and tasty, even if only done occasionally!

Cheers!:)[/quote]

I don’t have to tell you to chop off the stalks for easier coverage, do I…?

Check this out, guys. Personal pan pizzas using the cauliflower crust, baked and served in small cast iron pans. Turkey pepperoni and olive.

Sorry, the GF and I ate half of them before we thought of taking pics!

[quote]

:)[/quote]

Sounds good!

I put the smashed cauliflower into a cheesecloth and then into a salad spinner. I spun it four times and was still getting water in the bottom bowl. I also added two tablespoons of ground flax seed to the crust mixture. I cooked it in my iron skillet as well. Turned out great. Still soft right out of the oven, but crust firmed up after cooling a while. I was able to pick it up without it falling apart after a while of cooling off. Great recipe Chris.

[quote]Wolfman155 wrote:
I put the smashed cauliflower into a cheesecloth and then into a salad spinner. I spun it four times and was still getting water in the bottom bowl. I also added two tablespoons of ground flax seed to the crust mixture. I cooked it in my iron skillet as well. Turned out great. Still soft right out of the oven, but crust firmed up after cooling a while. I was able to pick it up without it falling apart after a while of cooling off. Great recipe Chris. [/quote]

A salad spinner! Nice!

I know you don’t usually break down the macros, but with all that cheese, anyone know how much total carbs is in one pizza?

[quote]tomkade wrote:
I know you don’t usually break down the macros, but with all that cheese, anyone know how much total carbs is in one pizza?[/quote]

If I’m looking at this right, the crust has approx. 37g carbs. I’m using FitDay and CalorieLab to cross check the breakdowns, so keep that in mind in terms of ‘accuracy’. Of course, whatever toppings added may increase this number.

im really excited to try this out. i just bought a cast iron pan and seasoned it on monday.

i look forward to experimenting with the recipe and sharing my results so we can make the best cauliflower pizza crust the world has ever seen! a firmer pizza crust would be desirable, but if soft crust is all we get, WHO CARES? ITS FREAIN PIZZA!!!

UPDATE:

made it last night, turned out really good.

[quote]BARDUKE wrote:
UPDATE:

made it last night, turned out really good.

[/quote]

Looks great!

I’m definitely going to have to try this recipe! It sounds fantastic…can’t wait to try it. Thanks for all the ideas everyone = )

I seem to have better luck with using it to make pizza pockets. After the initial baking phase, I remove the crust from the pan, flip it over, apply “toppings”, and fold it closed. Then I put a little bit of cheese on the seams to close it up and return to the oven. It holds together a little better than when I tried to do it in pizza form only.

A quick note on sauces: Classico Fire Roasted Tomato and Garlic is awesome. I also like Rao’s Homemade Tomato and Basil. It’s a little heavier, but 5g carbs (3g fiber).

[quote]Tirith wrote:
I seem to have better luck with using it to make pizza pockets. After the initial baking phase, I remove the crust from the pan, flip it over, apply “toppings”, and fold it closed. Then I put a little bit of cheese on the seams to close it up and return to the oven. It holds together a little better than when I tried to do it in pizza form only.

A quick note on sauces: Classico Fire Roasted Tomato and Garlic is awesome. I also like Rao’s Homemade Tomato and Basil. It’s a little heavier, but 5g carbs (3g fiber).[/quote]

Gotta try the pizza pocket thing. Thanks for the reminder!