Biotest

Flourless Pizza. Finally

[center]Flourless Pizza. Finally. [/center]

I often joke about how the <a href="http://velocity.tmuscle.com/free_online_program/sports_body_training_diet_velocity/velocity_diet_30#velocity-diet-3-0"target=“new”>V-Diet can smash any food addition… except, of course, pizza cravings.

Nothing can do that.

After my own V-Diet, I no longer had the desire for fried foods or overly sweet foods. I was put back in control of my eating habits, and I dropped 16 pounds and 4 inches off my waist in just 28 days to boot.

Then I saw a pizza commercial on TV, and I knew that a meat-lovers deep dish would be my final hurdle.

Over the years, I’ve tried to make my own pizzas and “health them up” as much as possible. I discovered turkey pepperoni and that saves a lot of calories. I used fat-free cheeses to drop more calories, trying to volumize my pies a bit because I knew I’d eat a whole one at once. I stacked them with various vegetables and I scoured the city for a pizza sauce that didn’t contain a lot of added sugars.

I had some pretty good success, and I’ve published a few of those recipes. The problem though, the single thing that turned even these lighter versions into cheat meals, was the damn crust.

First I went to whole-grain crusts. But as you probably know, the whole whole-grain thing is largely bullshit. It’s still grain; it’s still unnecessary carbs that your body barely even knows how to process.

Then I found frozen pizza crusts in hippy health foods stores made from brown rice and potato. Better, but not great. Finally I started making mini-pizzas using low-carb, high-fiber tortillas as crusts. These were pretty good, but you knew you weren’t eating real pizza, and those low-carb tortillas still contained a lot of questionable ingredients.

Then a V-Life member passed along a pizza crust recipe. He hadn’t tried it yet, but he thought it might work. And get this: it was made mainly out of a vegetable.

My variation of this is 95% perfect, and maybe if we all put our heads (and stomachs) together we can fill in that last 5%.

Get ready to eat pizza and lose fat anyway!

[center]Cauliflower Pizza Crust[/center]
Ingredients

1 head cauliflower or a bag of frozen cauliflower
1 egg, preferable the omega-3 enriched variety
1 cup fat-free or reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
Half cup of grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon dried oregano

Directions

1. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

2. Steam your cauliflower until soft. Mash in a bowl with a fork or potato masher. Strain out as much of the water as you can.

1. Combine mashed cauliflower with egg, parmesan, mozzarella, and oregano. Form into a “dough ball” and again squeeze it dry.

2. Spray a pizza pan with Pam and mash dough ball down into a round crust.

1. Bake for 12 to 20 minutes until lightly browned.

1. Top with low-sugar pasta sauce (I use Classico brand), fat-free cheese, and any toppings of choice: turkey pepperoni, mushrooms, spinach, peppers, low-fat Canadian bacon, etc.

2. Place back in oven until cheese melts and toppings are heated, then mentally prepare for the mouth-gasm headed your way.

The 5% Issue

The only problem with this crust is the texture. It’s a little soft, and while you can cut it into slices, those slices are pretty flimsy.

The issue seems to be moisture. Cooked cauliflower bleeds off his liquid content, and steaming adds even more. Squeezing your “dough” dry helps, as does the added parmesan cheese, but it’s not perfect yet.

I’ve used a mesh strainer and cheese cloth, but both are very messy and don’t work that well. I’ve also tried to just barely steam the cauliflower but it’s still watery. Same thing happens with fresh too (I’d assumed the problem was only with frozen cauliflower. No such luck.)

Anyway, as you can see by the pics, this pizza is almost perfect: the taste in phenomenal, the calories are low, and the nutrition is high. It’s just a touch soft.

No big worries, the GF and I usually just forgo the pizza slicer and eat it with forks right off the pan (we’re cool like that.) Still, if you have some suggestions, I’m all ears.

Go ahead and try it. Even at 95% I think you’ll be amazed.

PS: Makes for a great HSM too if you’re on the <a href="http://velocity.tmuscle.com/free_online_program/sports_body_training_diet_velocity/velocity_diet_30#velocity-diet-3-0"target=“new”>V-Diet. Just add a salad!

What Chris Actually Eats

Nice. I bought a head of cauliflower for this exact reason. Making my first attempt at this recipe on Saturday. I wonder if adding a bit of flax or chai seed flour would help with the moisture and softness?

Don’t steam it!

Here’s the deal-

If frozen skip to step 2, if fresh read on:

Step 1: Get a food processor or a ricer and run the cauliflower through it (ricer gives better results by forcing water out of the cauliflower).

Step 2: Find a way to put it in a container with a lid and microwave it for about 8 minutes, now the tricky part is if you can find a way to keep the cauliflower elevated off the bottom, I dropped a slotted lid from smart balance into the bottom of a pampered chef mixing/lidded bowl.

This allows any water to end up at the bottom and not sitting on the cauliflower.

Now if you used the frozen you will need to go to step 1 and perform it.

For the pan selection I suggest a perforated pizza pan. This will help make it crustier as well.

If you roast it in the oven it will add less moisture, and I haven’t tried this yet, but maybe on a broiler tray, the kind used to cook fatty meats with the slots in it and a tray attached to the bottom to catch fat drippings, or in this case cauliflower moisture

BTW: Chris: I used that pan on saturday night and riced the cauliflower.

I’d say it takes the 95% to about 99%.

I could pick up a slice and hold it properly, however it was still slightly softish. Deliciously soft… was soo good.

Nom, nom, nom!

Good ideas so far, but I’m going to look ridiculous in a ricer.

Not that kind: This kind!

ok im guna try this looks good and i love pizza!! guna struggle to find low fat cheese here in egypt but i’ll give it my best shot! I was telling my bro about this recipe and he said… why do you want to get to 6% body fat? It doesn’t earn you money or get you the girl when your already married. He said just order a pizza it won’t make any difference!!

[quote]corstijeir wrote:
Not that kind: This kind!

[/quote]

Where am I supposed to put the lime-green spoiler on that thing?

You’ll have to settle for a wicked exhaust and a ground effects kit on that, no room for spoiler unless you give up hand space.

maybe add a tablespoon or so of coconut flour? that shit soaks up liquid like crazy

Per 2 Tablespoon of Coconut Flour:
Calories 60 Calories from Fat 15
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 1.5g 2%
Saturated Fat 1g 5%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 0mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 10g 3%
Dietary Fiber 6g 24%
Sugars 0g
Protein 2g 4%

[quote]brainaches wrote:
maybe add a tablespoon or so of coconut flour? that shit soaks up liquid like crazy[/quote]

Been thinking if this. Haven’t tried it yet.

Pretty sure coconut flour could suck up that oil spill that’s been in the news too.

I was going to suggest a bit of almond flour to firm it up a bit. It’s closer to regular, non-food flour so it should also help keep the pie from sticking to the pan.

I tried to make the original recipe that was posted but my pan has terrible heat dispersion. Soft and almost gooey crust and burnt and charred on the outside. I had to end up salvaging the middle and cutting it into strips and cooking those again. Topped them with a little bit of olive oil and a myriad of cheeses and I had my own bread sticks.

[quote]steelechris wrote:
I tried to make the original recipe that was posted but my pan has terrible heat dispersion. Soft and almost gooey crust and burnt and charred on the outside. I had to end up salvaging the middle and cutting it into strips and cooking those again. Topped them with a little bit of olive oil and a myriad of cheeses and I had my own bread sticks.[/quote]

One thing I’ve found is that very seldom do I totally ruin some new food experiment. Even if it doesn’t work, it’s always edible. Some folks are scared to cook, afraid they’ll waste their time and money if they mess up. But most mess-ups taste fine. They may be ugly, but you can eat them.

Hey Chris - Glad you enjoyed the recipe.

I actually cooked mine on a pizza stone. It was a pain to clean, but I think it helped cook more evenly. I don’t remember it being terribly soft. I’ll have to try again this weekend.

[quote]T-Wrecks wrote:
Hey Chris - Glad you enjoyed the recipe.

I actually cooked mine on a pizza stone. It was a pain to clean, but I think it helped cook more evenly. I don’t remember it being terribly soft. I’ll have to try again this weekend. [/quote]

Was that you who sent me the original recipe? Sorry, I bookmarked it immediately but forgot who sent it to me when I was writing the blog. Anyway, thanks!

I have a pizza stone and a perforated pan so I’ll give those a shot soon.

Yeah I haven’t tried the pizza stone yet- I couldn’t find mine. ( check the storage draw moron )

I actually looked this up and made it a week or so ago when you hinted at it in one of your LiveSpills. It was funny because I decided to make it for myself at my brothers birthday party. My parents had ordered 4 or 5 regular pizzas (which are like crack to me), but I decided I wasn’t going to deviate from my streak of good eating. So I decided to make this cauliflower crusted pizza.

Like I said, everyone was making comments and giving me a hard time while I was fixing it up but I had the last laugh once the pie was done. Everyone was so intrigued with how good and gourmet it looked when I was finished. Everyone of course wanted to try a bite and they were all pleasantly surprised. My wife who humors me by cooking healthy at home usually turns her nose up at these “Shugart Experiments” that I make at home but even she was blown away by this pizza. Man, especially for those of us who have quite the addiction to pizza… this is a glorious discovery for sure.

Here’s a picture of how mine turned out. Looking forward to the next one. I’ll add some meat to the next one.

The only thing I did different than what you suggested here was that I added some fennel, and basil or parsley to the crust mix prior to baking the crust.