Biotest

Flourless Chocolate Cake

[center]Flourless Chocolate Cake [/center]
You may have caught this recipe’s pumpkin cousin in a recent <a href="http://velocity.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart?pageNo=1&s=forumsNavTop"target=“new”>blog. Here’s the chocolate version I made up for my daughter.

[center] [/center]

[center]Chocolate Cake [/center]
The Stuff

2 cups blanched almond flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

Pinch of salt

1/2 cup (1 stick) organic pasture butter, softened

4 whole eggs, omega-3 enriched preferred

1/3 cup water

3/4 cup Splenda

2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder

Pam or spray coconut oil (I like the Spectrum brand)

Turning Stuff Into Cake

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients. Mix the two together. A hand mixer works best here.

3. Pour into a Pam or coconut oil-sprayed baking dish. Toss into the oven for about 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Now, let’s frost this sucker.
[center] Cream Cheese Frosting [/center]
[center] [/center]
The Stuff

1 (4 ounce) package fat-free cream cheese, softened

1/4 cup (half stick) organic pasture butter, softened

1 cup Splenda

Dash of vanilla extract

Whipping the Stuff Up

Toss it all in a bowl and put your electric mixer to it. Boom.

– Chris

The Chocolate Fancy Cake of Death.
It’s got two different kinds of dough from almond flour and three fillings - but the name has got to do with an exploding plate! Only around 60 g of carbs in the whole cake albeit like a gazillon calories from fats.

Pic before frosting.

BTW, I bought a little aluminum cake pan for this one (an Ace of Cakes, “Duff” branded one no less!) and what you’re seeing in this pic is actually the above recipe halved since the pan was on the smaller side.

Another pic.

No, I never claimed to be a cake decorator!

The “before” pic.

Chris, what about adding in some Chocolate Metabolic Drive®. Any recommendations?

[quote]Alex McCabe wrote:
Chris, what about adding in some Chocolate Metabolic Drive�?�®. Any recommendations? [/quote]

Usually with a small amount, say 1 scoop, you don’t have to change anything. With two you may need to add some extra water.

You’ll truly become my hero if you come up with a chocolate icing…

[quote]u r bunk wrote:
You’ll truly become my hero if you come up with a chocolate icing…[/quote]

I haven’t tried that that, but what I would do is start adding unsweetened cocoa powder, which actually isn’t bad stuff at all. Then I’d bump up the Splenda a bit to balance the natural bitterness of the chocolate, then add an extra pinch of salt.

Use that in the above recipe and I think you’ll like it.

Here’s a messy one, but the icing rocked: peanut butter flavor!

Used PB2 (defatted powdered peanut butter, very low cal) and Da Vinci sugar-free PB flavored syrup.

u r bunk you could cover your cake with a ganache (traditonally used to fill an cover fancy cakes and pralines) made of 125 g dark chocolate (the 85 % version only contains 15 g of sugar) and 250 g of cream.

Melt the chocolate in a bain marie and ad the cream while you stir it. Let it cool down an maybe put it in the fride for an hour (did with mine as we hat over 29 degrees celcius on tenerife) then you can apply it with a palette in a smooth and even layer.

Sweet Christ on a stick this thing is good. Just made one tonight. The icing is definitely a surprise. I’ll have to try the pumpkin cake for Thanksgiving.

What are the calories like? Or do you just not bother?

[quote]EvanX wrote:
What are the calories like? Or do you just not bother? [/quote]

I haven’t counted calories in 4-5 years.

Choose healthy foods, never cheat, and train hard and the body self-regulates.

Is there a reason most of your recipes use almond flour instead of coconut flour? Does it taste better, easier to cook with?

Most recipes I have seen using coconut flour are usually lower in calories and require less.

Hey Chris, I’ve been thinking about trying to make a pumpkin cheesecake. I would probably use the avocado recipe as a base and just use canned pumpkin instead of the two avocados, maybe 2 cups or so. And add proper spices of course. Any thoughts on that?

[quote]Weevo wrote:
Hey Chris, I’ve been thinking about trying to make a pumpkin cheesecake. I would probably use the avocado recipe as a base and just use canned pumpkin instead of the two avocados, maybe 2 cups or so. And add proper spices of course. Any thoughts on that?[/quote]

That should work! 1 can of pumpkin should do it.

Or use the cottage cheese cheesecake recipe. I think I posted that one within the avocado cheesecake thread.

I’m not a big fan of Cool Whip from a body comp standpoint, even the sugar free. That version tastes awesome, but I feel…puffy when I eat it.

This works great as a cupcake recipe as well. It also shortens the cooking time a bit.

I was curious, so by my estimation:

Cake:
1/4 cup of almond flour has (14g fat, 6g carb, 6g prot)
2 cups almond flour = 8 * (14 * 9 + 6 * 4 + 6 4) = 1392 cals
1 Tbsp of smart balance butter has (11g fat)
32 Tbsp = 1 stick = 32 * 11 * 9 = 3168 cals
1 egg has (5g fat, 6g protein)
4 eggs = 4 * (5
9 + 6*4) = 276 cals

The cocao, water, splenda and baking powder are negligible. Total for cake = 4836 cals.

Frosting:
1/2 of stick of smart balance butter = 1584 cals
Fat free cream cheese, 1 oz has (0.4g fat, 1.6g carb, and 4.1g protein)
4 oz in recipe = 4 * (0.49 + 1.64 + 4.1*4) = 105.6 cals

Total for frosting = 1659.6 cals

Cake + frosting = 6495.6

Probably a better way to think of this, if you cut cake with frosting into decent sized pieces, say 1/8 or 1/10 of cake, that would be 800-600 cals per piece. Not bad. I plan to try one.

All estimations are free.
All estimations are wrong, or your money back.
Note, I culled these calorie values from internet sites, so the actual caloric breakdown may be a little different than Chris’s version.

[quote]EvanX wrote:
What are the calories like? Or do you just not bother? [/quote]