Biotest

Flax Seed Serving Size?

Hi all,

sorry for such a basic question - but what is 1 serving of flaxseed? ive searched the forums and cant seem to get a solid answer.

i would use the back of the packet, which has one serving as 120 ish calories at 30g, but this is from an obscure company in the UK, so i dont trust its the same as the ‘standard’.

can someone tell me what the calorie value of 1 serving should be?

also can someone update the V-Diet web programme to include guidance on serving size (grams and calories?) as well as type of product.

sorry if ive missed an obvious reference to this elsewhere!

thanks

Male vs Female Calories on V-Diet?
Flax Seed Serving Size?

The label for my flaxseeds is 15g/90 calories or 2 tablespoons as one serving. The directions indicate having 1 to 2 tablespoons a day, I put one tablespoon/7.5g roughly into each shake requiring flax.

Here’s some info I just posted on another thread. It should help you out:

A typical serving of milled flax is two tablespoons.

The “meal” vs. “milled” thing is kinda confusing, I admit. Ideally, what you’re looking for is a rougher, milled or ground up product. “Meal” is sometimes a rougher grind, but sometimes it’s more of a powdery, flour-like grind, which might not be as palatable in shakes. I prefer the courser grind, “cold-milled.” Problem is, flax seed makers sometimes use the words “milled” and “meal” interchangeably.

You can also buy whole flax seeds and grind them yourself if you want. A dedicated coffee bean grinder is good for this, but I honestly just buy them pre-milled myself, then keep them in the fridge after opening.

If you can’t find them in a health food store, drug store, or pharmacy/vitamin section of Wal-Mart, check the baking aisle of grocery stores. Sometimes it’s right there with the flour and baking mixes. That’s where I get mine. These are usually in a box and not a bag, but they’re very inexpensive.