Biotest

Flax Seed...Really?

OK, what’s the benefit of the flax seed? It’s just so nasty. I really don’t think I can do it. Don’t they make capsules? Could I do that instead???

The beauty of flax seed is that the oils are still contained in the cellular walls of the seed after milling. This keeps it FAR more stable and therefore the oils and fats do not go rancid as fast. It also provides a rack of insoluble fiber to help solidify all the freaking liquefied protein you are drinking into a proper ummm… sh*t.

So umm yeah its pretty damn important. Go read the Fat Roundtable article and pay close attention to sections discussing ALA.

Like Hunt said, fiber is the one of the main reasons cold-milled flax seeds are used in the V-Diet (cold milling also supposedly helps retain a majority of the seeds oil during the milling process).

I’d also imagine using the raw, cold-milled flax seeds is more economical as far as the dollar-to-fat ratio goes when compared with a majority of the flax seed oil tablets on the market. Just my $0.02.

What’s the problem with flax seed? Mixed in a shake, it essentially adds no taste at all, just texture. It makes the shakes thicker and more fulfilling. I have been off the v-diet for 2 weeks, and still mix 3 tbsp of flax seed into my shakes each day.

flaxseed meal rules. it makes shakes chewy. plus the fiber and healthy fats.

I put 12 grams in my oats for flavor, volume, extra fiber, and more healthy fats. I am not a big fan of drinking them. They stick to the insides of my mouth and throat.

Suck it up and have the flax seed. This diet isn’t meant to be a walk in the park. Just do it.

I suggest maybe adding some Glucomannan. Anyone else care to chime in on that suggestion?

Oh, ewww, I think it’s the texture that’s getting to me. We’ll see if I can get past it.

buy a coffee grinder and grind it up more. thats what i do. this way it stays in the drink better also.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Suck it up and have the flax seed. This diet isn’t meant to be a walk in the park. Just do it.

I suggest maybe adding some Glucomannan. Anyone else care to chime in on that suggestion?[/quote]

seconded. the V-Diet is not fucking easy. just drink the damn shakes+flax and get it over with. it’s only 28 days really. it’s meant as a radical fat loss/lifestyle change program depending on where you are currently with your physique. don’t really know that much about glucomannan i would say psyllium husks POWDER (not the regular stuff). as for the psychological stuff. you gotta get used to what being hungry feels like and be OK WITH THAT. obviously not for long ass time but while you’re losing fat it’s bound to happen.

You’ll get used to it :slight_smile:

[quote]cpcloud wrote:
Makavali wrote:

I suggest maybe adding some Glucomannan. Anyone else care to chime in on that suggestion?

seconded. the V-Diet is not fucking easy. just drink the damn shakes+flax and get it over with. it’s only 28 days really. it’s meant as a radical fat loss/lifestyle change program depending on where you are currently with your physique. don’t really know that much about glucomannan i would say psyllium husks POWDER (not the regular stuff). as for the psychological stuff. you gotta get used to what being hungry feels like and be OK WITH THAT. obviously not for long ass time but while you’re losing fat it’s bound to happen.[/quote]

Want to make it a bit easier (if hunger is of concern)? I am using a variety of fiber sources, the flax seed ofcourse, but then i mix in approx a teaspoon of psyllium husk in each shake plus I am having a tablespoon of something called Fibrex (73% fiber) after each shake. The Fibrex addition keeps hunger pretty much away completely. See link for Fibrex below.

http://www.danisco.com/cms/connect/corporate/products%20and%20services/product%20range/fibres/fibrex/fibrex_en.htm

some stores have ground flax seed and it has a nice nutty flavor it taste so good, don’t remember the brand

[quote]clovely wrote:
Oh, ewww, I think it’s the texture that’s getting to me. We’ll see if I can get past it.[/quote]

Just suck it up and do it.

[quote]clovely wrote:
Oh, ewww, I think it’s the texture that’s getting to me. We’ll see if I can get past it.[/quote]

No offense, but that’s the stupidest thing I’ve heard. This diet isn’t a walk in the park. If you aren’t going to do it like you’re supposed to, then don’t do it.

How tall are you? If you really are 127.5lbs I don’t even know if this diet is appropriate for you.

Are you using all the recommended supplements? If not don’t do this diet.

I’m sorry if you feel like I’m picking on you, but the amount of dickshittery (a new word for you all) in this forum with regards to the V-Diet is astounding.

I know Chris approves of minor changes, but some of the suggestions I’ve seen are absolutely retarded. It’s all outlined in the Sticky that Chris has taken the time to write up. Read it and do it. If you can’t, then this diet isn’t for you. I’m beginning to see why other members of the forum look down on this diet (Hint: It has nothing to do with the diet itself).

/rant

The attached picture shows what I think of some of the suggested changes. They look flashy, but they don’t do anything good.

agreed.

also there are different kinds of milled and ground flax. there are kinds that taste more oily than others and kinds that essentially taste like nothing.

for less taste look for darker seeds and try different brands. Buying bulk allows you to get a taste before you buy as well as being “fresher.”

As said previously milling your own in a grinder is a great way to roll and can help reduce an oily flavor that can accumulate while the milled seeds sit in a bag for 3 months.

dont be a puss and do what the diet says.

-chris

Flax meal is delicious! Accept that fact and eat it up.

the taste last mabey 5 seconds just drink water immediately after and you will make it through

Grow a fucking pair of balls or don’t do the diet. It’s that simple.

Anyone who refers to anything they put in their protein shakes with the adjective, “ewwww” should immediately have their membership revoked.

-dizzle

I just had a quick question. Does the flax seed have to be milled? There’s a health food store where I can buy the seeds whole and I was wondering if eating it like that somehow kept me from getting the full benefits from the seeds. Also, I was wondering if cooking it a little as in mixing some seeds in with rice or eggs would help to release the good stuff in the seeds.