Biotest

Flax Seed Experiment

Getting ready for my V-Diet I decided to taste the milled flax seeds. Chewed for 5 whole minutes LOL ummmm no! Okay then I tried them with a shake, LOL ummmm nah!!!then I tried them with water.

LOL! water with brown pulp? not for me! Well I found an interesting solution I mixed it with a tbsp of natural peanut butter and voila I have found a tasty chewy concoction!!! Is this permitted 2 times per day?

Be a man and mix them in your shake. I use a straw to drink the shakes, and stir the flax up with the straw when they settle at the bottom.

[quote]wjoeyp73 wrote:
Getting ready for my V-Diet I decided to taste the milled flax seeds. Chewed for 5 whole minutes LOL ummmm no! Okay then I tried them with a shake, LOL ummmm nah!!!then I tried them with water.

LOL! water with brown pulp? not for me! Well I found an interesting solution I mixed it with a tbsp of peanut butter and voila I have found a tasty chewy concoction!!! Is this permitted 2 times per day? [/quote]

Get used to it hey, flax is great. I bought some flax meal last night and tried it and it was shit, I FAR prefer getting the flax seeds and grinding them myself in a spice mill! They’re finer and don’t really settle at all. I’d say I get more out of it too as it’s completely broken up.

PB is not a valid replacement for flax.

Replacing flax with PB adds fat, reduces omega 3’s, reduces fibre, and removes what I consider an important part of what makes it the V-Diet. Granted if Chia works out as an alternative to Flax then fine but I really think you need the flax.

Try grindign hte seeds yourself in an electric mill/grinder to quite fine and I’m sure you’ll like them better. It’s twice a day and you get used to it very quickly.

Also flax can be used to bake lots of awesome things like muffins, biscuits and so on.

Man up, I eat that shit dry.

[quote]wjoeyp73 wrote:
Well I found an interesting solution I mixed it with a tbsp of peanut butter and voila I have found a tasty chewy concoction!!! Is this permitted 2 times per day? [/quote]

That’s what I’ve been doing. As I understand it, V-Diet calls out for one serving of natural peanut butter and two servings (4 tbsp) of milled flax seeds. I’ve been mixing 2 tbsp of flax meal with the 2 tbsp of PB. That’s been working fine for me.

I also don’t much care for the flax meal in my shakes. It’s a bitch to clean up the blender (the meal tends to stick to the blender walls and just won’t wash out easily, and the stuff clogs up the drains in the sink at work.

Put a half tbsp in your mouth and immediately wash it down with water. No chewing just wash it down. Then do it again.

Repeat 3 more times in the day.

Easy.

[quote]MitchorRuby wrote:
Put a half tbsp in your mouth and immediately wash it down with water. No chewing just wash it down. Then do it again.

Repeat 3 more times in the day.

Easy.

[/quote]

Almost all of your flax is just going to get pooped out dude. You need to grind/chew that stuff.

does nobody make pudding out of their shakes??? i find this to be freakin awesome. if you freeze it it’s like ice cream. when you mix the protein+milled flax it becomes something you can CHEW instead of just drinking a shake. mentally satisfies me. plus chewing activates certain enzymes that allow you to digest protein better (supposedly)

its all ground up.

Okay I guess everyone has their on take on the flax seed. I know its very important I just was trying to make it a lil more tasty. If I cant have flaxseed mixed with natrual Peanut butter then I will just be a man and choke it down dry with a big gulp of water…still trying to gulp lol

[quote]cpcloud wrote:
does nobody make pudding out of their shakes??? i find this to be freakin awesome. if you freeze it it’s like ice cream. when you mix the protein+milled flax it becomes something you can CHEW instead of just drinking a shake. mentally satisfies me. plus chewing activates certain enzymes that allow you to digest protein better (supposedly)[/quote]

I make pudding. When I had to make sure I was getting enough calories, I’d put a double-serving of Metabolic Drive in with a bit less water than usual and stick it in the fridge.

And to the OP, suck it up. Flax seeds are an essential part of the diet. Unless you can get your hands on some Salba. But even that is yet to be verified.

Seriously ground flax seed is sooooo much easier to take than flax meal. Unless I just got shit flax meal :slight_smile:

I grind it fine so it’s just like adding almond meal or something to the shakes.

Also yeah, definitely use it to make puddings and muffins with it’s great that way.

2Tbsp whey, 2Tbsp ground seed, 1/2tsp guar gum and enough water to make a bit runnier than paste. Mix and let stand for a couple of minutes then mix again and add some stevia or whatever and then microwave for 40 seconds. Yum.

I leave this sort of thing until around the end though after you’ve done the habit kicking first 21 days :slight_smile:

Thanks For Everyones Input! Feel free to jump in anytime and correct me!!! My start date is this comming Sunday June 1st

Also I have used chia seed and would reccomend that as an addition to the flax. It doesn’t need to be ground as it doesn’t have the cellulose shell, just whack it in shakes and if you leave it a few minutes it’s kinda like little tapioca or semolina balls.

Not sure what the insolube/soluble fibre break down is by weight for weight pretty much everything is better with chia than flax.

it also has no taste.

chia seed? I have never heard of it. I will do some research tonight for sure thanks ozzy! also this salba that every one is buzzing about must research that too!

Salba is just a branded version of Chia. They basically say that they make a more refined version of chia seed but seriously… whatever.

Salba is essentially Chia but at about 10x the cost.

they have the same thing in Australia. Chiata is a branded version of Chia but it’s the same thing, just 10x the price.

I found and interesting article here about milled flax seed (which I have) versus Flax seed meal check it out here

http://www.buyflax.com/whole-milled-flax-vs-meal.asp

Just buy whole seeds and use a grinder or morter and pestle on’em.

Cool avatar btw.

i use the milled seeds and I store them in the freezer
take a spoon full pop it in your mouth and wash it down do that as many times as needed

the point to the flax seeds is fiber along with the omegas
thr omegas are there if you chew them or not
if you chew them its like saw dust so why not just take it like a champ and swallow them.

wow feels like i said that before

[quote]wjoeyp73 wrote:
I found and interesting article here about milled flax seed (which I have) versus Flax seed meal check it out here

http://www.buyflax.com/whole-milled-flax-vs-meal.asp
[/quote]

I checked the label on the flax meal that I use

http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.php?action=showdetails&product_ID=175

The price of 1 lb is less than $4. One serving (2 tbsp) contains 2400 mg of Omega-3 (I’m pretty sure that’s all ALA). It may not be ground as fine as milled flax, but nutritionally, it’s the same thing.