Biotest

Flavors of Metabolic Drive and Surge?

Hello - I’m going to be purchasing the required supplements for the V-Diet, but was reading through some posts and wanted to get some recommendations on which flavors to avoid for the Metabolic Drive and the Surge. Any and all insights are appreciated. Thank you!

My favorite to least favorite Metabolic Drive are:

Chocolate
Strawberry
Vanilla
Banana

They’re actually all pretty good, but I find that the strawberry is the one that I prefer with Superfood. Chocolate is a good day-to-day by itself. Vanilla is good when mixed half and half with either the Strawberry or Banana, and Vanilla is also good if you mix in a TB of instant coffee (my favorite AM shake :slight_smile:

As for the Surge, I only have the original, and I really like it, but it IS very sweet. It tastes very similar to drinking angel food cake . . a tip with the Surge - it’s best when mixed with VERY cold water, and it’s good if you let it sit for a minute or so after shaking it up so that the foam dies down (for my personal taste anyway).

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

I don’t like any of 'em to be honest, but I’m in a minority - most people seem to find them quite tasty. Just do yourself a favour and get a few different flavours because when you’re drinking nothing but shakes, you at least want bit of variety. I’m also the opposite to Christie, I found banana the most tolerable and chocolate the least. Customising with coffee, spices, cold chai tea (no milk) and so on is a smart move.

If you like chocolate, go for chocolate Surge. It is very sweet but definitely more chocolatey than the chocolate MD.

Surge. I found the raspberry and original to be disgusting after a couple of tastes and had to struggle through the tubs I’d bought. They’re way, way to sickeningly sweet.

The chocolate is sweet too, but I found it to be delicious. It just has a much better texture. The other flavors are like drinking sugar diluted in water.

As for Metabolic Drive. Chocolate is my favorite. Orange was nasty. Vanilla’s OK, didn’t like banana too much either. Haven’t tried strawberry.

Anyway, can’t wait for the new flavors!

G87 - thanks for the insight. Hope you’re doing well on the diet.

My only observation, and I use this word because everyone has different opinions and you won’t know until you try them all yourself, is that the Surge Original is sickly sweet. It makes me want to throw up. I bought one chocolate and one original and will use chocolate until it runs out and I absolutely have to go back to Original. On that note, the chocolate is bad too. Also too sweet. Lesser of two evils I guess.

You might want to get all the (Metabolic Drive) flavors for variety. I did that the first time I did V-Diet and it was a mistake.

Vanilla and chocolate are the only flavors I like, I thought the rest tasted like shit. I like strawberries, oranges, and banannas but the shakes have like a nasty aftertaste IMO.

If you think it’s gonna be hard drinking shakes all day and not eating food imagine how much it’ll suck to have to choke down shakes that don’t even taste good.

If you have a certain flavor you like go with it and forget about variety.

Mulder - I’m not on the diet :slight_smile: But I have tried all the existing flavors of MD and Surge, minus the Strawberry MD.

Best before bed, chocolate, banana, and peanut butter. Worth the day-long wait! Definitely consider buying a high-speed blender and mixing in ice cubes for more of a smoothie texture.

The flavors are far too sweet. After about a week, I began an obsessive search for some way to kill the sweetness of the shakes or fail the diet. I could force the things down in the mornings, but just couldn’t stomach the sweetness in the afternoons and evenings.

What I have found works, at least for the chocolate and the vanilla, is 4 heaping tablespoons of decaf coffee crystals, or Ovaltine. Stick with decaf, too much caffeine on top of 4 HOT-ROX a day seems like its a bad idea (from reading other threads).

I only ordered 1 Banana - I don’t like bananas - but to my surprise I found it the most palatable. The vanilla is awful. I’m trying to trade it to friends.

The fact is, too, there are some non-shake sources of carb free protein that can work as substitutes, to a point. Cartons of egg whites, which have 24g of protein and less than 4g of carbs per cup, and/or firm tofu, (200g has 2g of saturated fat, 5g of carbs and 20g of protein).

Chris S. warns against deviating from the diet, but substituting an omelette made with 1.5 cups of egg whites (the same amount of protein as a shake) for one shake gives you something savory, and if it lets you stay on the diet the rest of the time, well, the perfect is the enemy of the good, as the Army says.

Ovaltine contains HFCS so best avoid that one, to be honest.

That’s one thing about Metabolic Drive - it’s fine for the odd shake but remember you’re going to be drinking nothing but that for 4 weeks. I found myself dipping my finger in the salt dish after a few days.

There are new flavours coming? Anyone know what they are?

Are you guys drinking the flavors with enough water? I’ve only tried one flavor so take my advice with a grain of salt but right now I’m going with a Surge Recovery raspberry and it tastes pretty ok!

It’s one scoop for ~1 L of water which is super dilute and it tastes more like gatorade. Obviously, this won’t work for those chocolate-type flavors. I normally fill up my bottle and add water/powder as I go through the workout. Eventually, I want to try the lemon and fruit punch orders even though I’m fairly satisfied with raspberry (for the Surge Recovery).

I couldn’t tell you about the Metabolic Drive though.