Biotest

Flatbread Frenzy

Slice.

The pizza tasted amazing. A little oregano and parm in the dough goes a long way in giving the crust a more authentic pizza taste.

Thanks again Chris, this is truly a game changer.

[quote]ADvanced TS wrote:
Slice.

The pizza tasted amazing. A little oregano and parm in the dough goes a long way in giving the crust a more authentic pizza taste.

Thanks again Chris, this is truly a game changer.
[/quote]

Nice. Made one myself tonight: turkey pepperoni, avocado, and peppers.

Wow, finally know where to get my almond flour from… paying $10 a week for a lb was not cutting it! Thanks!

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]WebEyE wrote:
Isn’t this like way more calorie dense than the cauliflower pizza?
More like a V-Bulk meal, is it? The dough without topping must have like 1500 kcal…
Don’t even try to convince me that you just had one slice…[/quote]

Yes, this will contain more cals than a vegetable crust.

Not a bulk meal at all in my opinion though. All very clean. Cals may be on the higher side, but I can eat as much of this as I want and never gain an ounce of fat. Why? Because it’s about a whole lot more than “calories in, calories out.” With no insulin reactions, no nasty cravings triggering mechanisms, etc. you can enjoy healthy foods like this all the time. As studies have shown, a person can gain or lose body fat on the same amount of calories. The difference is the source of those calories.

And yep, I eat a little more than half of this in a sitting.

Most people will find that they’ll get full (and stay full) with this much easier than with a carby crust. Good foods help self-regulate calorie intake. Even if you eat the whole darn thing you’ll find that you won’t be hungry again in two hours as with a regular flour-crust pizza.

[/quote]

Hi Chris,

I understand that not all calories are the same and that almonds is a good fat source. If you eat about half of this pizza in one sitting, that’s 1 cup of almonds. Don’t you think 1 cup of almonds a day is a little too much even for a healthy calorie? That’s also not counting the cheese, toppings and other meals that you’ll be eating that day.

Tom

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/d/5/d5ee2_ORIG-P1000862.jpg

So my mate and I tried this out on the weekend.
Here is a photo of the base.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/9/c/9cf68_ORIG-P1000863.jpg

And here is what we made with it.
It was amazing.

[quote]tomkade wrote:
Don’t you think 1 cup of almonds a day is a little too much even for a healthy calorie?
Tom
[/quote]

My year-round visible abs say “nope, that’s just fine.”

This is the power of healthy food choices, a zero-junk diet, good supplements, and challenging training. I haven’t had to count a calorie in about 5 years. Why? Controlled carbs, the reduction and then removal of grains, more good fats, high protein, etc, etc.

[quote]natedog11six wrote:
And here is what we made with it.
It was amazing.
[/quote]

It LOOKS amazing! Wow.

This recipe wins the internet!

Just made your Mexican Pizza, with sliced avocados on top! Wow. Thank you.

Btw, I lost the “Shrek cookie” recipe you posted a while back, the ones made with almond flour and avocado. Any chance you can post that recipe in the HSM thread? Pretty please :slight_smile:

[quote]jdubs27 wrote:
Just made your Mexican Pizza, with sliced avocados on top! Wow. Thank you.

Btw, I lost the “Shrek cookie” recipe you posted a while back, the ones made with almond flour and avocado. Any chance you can post that recipe in the HSM thread? Pretty please :)[/quote]

Here ya go:

[center]Recipe: V-Life Cookies [/center]

The Stuff

1 cup almond flour, blanched variety
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1/8 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of Splenda
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
2 omega-3 enriched eggs
1/4 cup Smart Balance omega-3 butter, softened
Pam cooking spray

Making the Stuff

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Or use someone else’s oven when they’re not looking.

2. Toast your coconut. Spread it out on a flat, dry pan and toast 4 or 5 minutes in the oven. (Honestly, I forget this step about half the time. Doesn’t matter much.)

3. In a bowl, combine almond flour with baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together. Then added butter, Splenda, vanilla, and finally the eggs. Use a mixer to bring it all together.

4. Add in toasted coconut. Combine it all with your grubby paws or a mixer.

5. Roll into small balls, then flatten into cookies. Toss onto a cookie pan or “jellyroll pan” coated with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes or so. (For easy clean up, place dough on parchment paper.)

6. Eat 'em up.

The Options (Some a little crazy!)

• Add dashes of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves for variety.

• A tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder makes chocolate cookies. Add a scoop of instant coffee for a caffeinated mocha cookie.

• Add chopped nuts or press whole almonds into top just before cooking.

• A scoop of vanilla Metabolic Drive will add some protein. Add a sprinkle of water if needed during mixing.

• Skip the butter and mix in a whole soft avocado. (Tell your kids they’re Shrek cookies.)

Makes these part of your <a href="http://velocity.tmuscle.com/free_online_program/sports_body_training_diet_velocity/velocity_diet_30#velocity-diet-3-0"target=“new”>V-Diet HSM or just do what I do: use them for quick, portable meals that keep you both lean and satisfied. – Chris

Hey chris found a bbq sauce recipe. I am marinating my chicken as we speak and it is on tap for dinner tomorrow. Here is the recipe and the link in which I got it from.

Paleo(ish) BBQ sauce

1 6oz can tomato paste
1 cup of beef stock
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1/2 onion, chopped finely
2 tablespoons dijon mustardâ?¨
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegarâ?¨
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon sea saltâ?¨
2 tablespoons chili powder

Combine everything in a large sauce pan. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir frequently. And that’s it!

Now marinate your meat. Use chicken breasts or thinly sliced sirloin or whatever else you’d like. Place meat and sauce in a large plastic bag and leave in the fridge overnight. Cook as you please on the stove top or grill.

I added some water just to make it go further, but the taste was not adversly affected by that. My hubby (he was the taster) said that it was great and to save some to add to the meat. I plan on grilling the chicken and then if that meets standards I am going to put it on the flatbread for some BBQ Chicken Pizza!!

Thanks, N8tive!

http://www.nutsonline.com/nuts/almonds/flour.html?gclid=COnWicLpqqQCFaVn5QodGlsq4A

You can get almond flour for as little as $6.99/lb or if you buy the 25lb case, you can get it for $3.99/lb

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:
http://www.nutsonline.com/nuts/almonds/flour.html?gclid=COnWicLpqqQCFaVn5QodGlsq4A

You can get almond flour for as little as $6.99/lb or if you buy the 25lb case, you can get it for $3.99/lb[/quote]

Cool, thanks!

[quote]tomkade wrote:
Don’t you think 1 cup of almonds a day is a little too much even for a healthy calorie?
Tom
[/quote]

This is the power of healthy food choices, a zero-junk diet, good supplements, and challenging training. I haven’t had to count a calorie in about 5 years. Why? Controlled carbs, the reduction and then removal of grains, more good fats, high protein, etc, etc.

[/quote]

If counting calories is not important as long as they are “healthy” calories, then why do so many reputable coaches like John Romaniello and Dave Tate still feel it is important to figure out your maintenance daily calories and work from there? Do you think maybe after 5 yrs you have built up a higher daily maintenance caloric level and some of us still need to be careful about eating half of pizza with almond crust?

[quote]tomkade wrote:

[quote]tomkade wrote:
Tom
[/quote]

[/quote]

If counting calories is not important as long as they are “healthy” calories, then why do so many reputable coaches like John Romaniello and Dave Tate still feel it is important to figure out your maintenance daily calories and work from there? Do you think maybe after 5 yrs you have built up a higher daily maintenance caloric level and some of us still need to be careful about eating half of pizza with almond crust?[/quote]

Most reputable coaches don’t count calories every day. They just tell other people to do it because we all started out doing it. Today they do it instinctively. Last time I had lunch with Tate he ate cleanly, but he certainly didn’t whip out a scale or ask the waitress how many carbs were in his order. Bit I’m sure he does count when he’s on a new plan.

Keeping a dedicated log of cals and macros is a great tool; you’ll learn a ton. But there’s no reason to do it for life once you grasp the difference between 1000 and 6000 calories, and 50g of protein and 250g. In the end, if you’re choosing good foods you’re going to have a very tough time overeating them because good foods help you to self-regulate. Hard to get fat on mostly lean meats and veggies.

If I see body fat creeping up, then I know either my activity level is down or my calories are rising a little too high, so I adjust. I can adjust without weighing every gram of avocado.

So sure, if all this is new to you, keep a food log and learn what you can from it. But if you’re counting calories in pasta, milk, bread, and breakfast cereals, then the problem isn’t calories, it’s your choice of foods.

Thanks for the recipe, Chris.

I tried it out last night and while it looked and smelled good, I didn’t like the texture (a bit grainy maybe) all that much. I’ll give it another try though and see how it comes out.

I have a quick question regarding the Almond flour. The nutritional label reads something like

Total Fat: 15g
Sat Fat: 1g
Trans Fat: 0g

Does this mean it has 14g of “good” fats? Is this the same for all nutritional labeling? As in, if you subtract the saturated and trans fats from the total fat, does that leave you with the “good” fats?

[quote]onepanda wrote:
Thanks for the recipe, Chris.

I tried it out last night and while it looked and smelled good, I didn’t like the texture (a bit grainy maybe) all that much. I’ll give it another try though and see how it comes out.

I have a quick question regarding the Almond flour. The nutritional label reads something like

Total Fat: 15g
Sat Fat: 1g
Trans Fat: 0g

Does this mean it has 14g of “good” fats? Is this the same for all nutritional labeling? As in, if you subtract the saturated and trans fats from the total fat, does that leave you with the “good” fats?[/quote]

Who says saturated fat from natural sources is bad? What is this, the early 1990’s?

The only bad fat is transfat really, though you do want to keep your omega-3 and6 's in balance.

Almond flour fat is the same as almonds - mostly mono-unsaturated.

[quote]n8tive wrote:
Hey chris found a bbq sauce recipe. I am marinating my chicken as we speak and it is on tap for dinner tomorrow. Here is the recipe and the link in which I got it from.

Paleo(ish) BBQ sauce

1 6oz can tomato paste
1 cup of beef stock
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1/2 onion, chopped finely
2 tablespoons dijon mustardâ?¨
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegarâ?¨
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon sea saltâ?¨
2 tablespoons chili powder

Combine everything in a large sauce pan. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir frequently. And that’s it!

Now marinate your meat. Use chicken breasts or thinly sliced sirloin or whatever else you’d like. Place meat and sauce in a large plastic bag and leave in the fridge overnight. Cook as you please on the stove top or grill.

I added some water just to make it go further, but the taste was not adversly affected by that. My hubby (he was the taster) said that it was great and to save some to add to the meat. I plan on grilling the chicken and then if that meets standards I am going to put it on the flatbread for some BBQ Chicken Pizza!![/quote]

Grilled the chicken up after it marinater overnight and it was really good. Next time I will be adding the chicken to the flatbread and making a BBQ Chicken Pizza type thing. BBQ sauce is super easy to make btw.