Biotest

Flatbread Frenzy

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

The place where I get my bulk almond flour (http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/blanchedalmondflour5lb.aspx) has a deal where you get it for $24 per five pound bag… if you buy 60 or more bags.

I thought, “Ha! Who’d buy 300 pounds of almond flour at once?”

Then I thought, “Hmmm…” [/quote]
you mentioned that site before and i couldnt find it again. thanks.

yeah, i might buy a large trash can and store all the almond flour in there for daily recipes. im loving this stuff!

Okay so this is awesome. Great enchilada recipe. Oh My goodness, it is great!!!

Awesome, awesome, awesome.
I had a go at making the cauliflower base the other night.
It turned out okay and was still great to eat.
This looks alot easier and more ‘stable’.
I’ll have to try it this weekend with my mates.
Great work Chris!

I just made this for dinner for my wife and I. She has celiac disease, so this worked nicely.
I used regular almonds as opposed to blanched and it was still good. I think the blanched would crisp up a little more since there is less moisture.

I just got back from the store. 1lb almond flour = $10.99. I’m going to go with the 5lb version and try to find [I]something[/I] to make with it. Hmmmm… :wink:

I think food logs are great tools to use… for a time. Helps you to really grasp calories, macronutrient ratios, meal timing, serving sizes etc. I just don’t want people to have to keep a food log forever. Much easier to just choose healthy, volumized, low or no-grain stuff, and just eat instinctively. Takes a while to get the hang of it, especially if old habits and food addictions linger.
[/quote]

Well, i kind of overdid the healthy fats a bit (reading: snacked to much on cashews and pecans, way to much), so it’s just a means of self control to go from four- to six-pack again.
I cut out carby junk food from my diet a long time ago - except from the occasional cheat. Although I basically know about healthy foods, a food log a nice way to relearn about the macronutrient ratios. And it works for fat loss. Let’s see for how long I’m gonna go with it.

I have made this before. Try it with asiago cheese. It is unbelievable

Me and my mate are going to cook this up tonight.
Will post a photo!

[quote]WebEyE wrote:

Cals may be on the higher side, but I can eat as much of this as I want and never gain an ounce of fat. Why? Because it’s about a whole lot more than “calories in, calories out.” With no insulin reactions, no nasty cravings triggering mechanisms, etc. you can enjoy healthy foods like this all the time.
[/quote]

Thx. Chris. Agree with all of your points, but since I re-started my food log again, it feels quite weired to write down high-cal meals.[/quote]

I think food logs are great tools to use… for a time. Helps you to really grasp calories, macronutrient ratios, meal timing, serving sizes etc. I just don’t want people to have to keep a food log forever. Much easier to just choose healthy, volumized, low or no-grain stuff, and just eat instinctively. Takes a while to get the hang of it, especially if old habits and food addictions linger.

If you think about it (or if you’re old like me) counting calories became the vogue thing to do amongst the masses right about the time that the low-fat, high carb trend began. Why? I think it’s because it’s very easy to overeat carby foods. You just don’t get full or stay full very easily. But with higher fat, higher protein, lower carb foods you do, and it’s easier to self-regulate. Just some thoughts!

[/quote]

A v-cut or maintence can be up to 50% fat, good one that is.

If Dave Tate can low carn on 200 grams and cut fat on 6000 cals then i see no reason why you can not maintain a ripped physique on 3000 cals although Dave is a natural big boned guy(i want his genetics man)

Chris, do you still use turkey bacon? if so what brand?
Most turkey bacon i find has the exact same calorie and fat per piece and more sodium compared to pork bacon, although the point is that it doesn’t shrink down as much.

Enchilada dinner from 2 nights ago. It was awesome,this is easily one of my new favorites. My hubby also enjoyed it.

[quote]Kungfushish wrote:
Chris, do you still use turkey bacon? if so what brand?
Most turkey bacon i find has the exact same calorie and fat per piece and more sodium compared to pork bacon, although the point is that it doesn’t shrink down as much.[/quote]

I do sometimes, but I don’t recall the brand. I know there’s at least one really bad brand out there in my opinion. Taste isn’t great and it doesn’t cook up well. I think Oscar Mayer is the better one and Jenny-O is the bad one, but I could be wrong. Generally speaking, the more expensive turkey bacon is better.

[quote]n8tive wrote:
Enchilada dinner from 2 nights ago. It was awesome,this is easily one of my new favorites. My hubby also enjoyed it. [/quote]

Nice!

I’ve been wanting to do a BBQ chicken version for a while, but I think I’ll have to DIY the sauce, so that’s step #1.

[quote]n8tive wrote:
Enchilada dinner from 2 nights ago. It was awesome,this is easily one of my new favorites. My hubby also enjoyed it. [/quote]

Nice!

I’ve been wanting to do a BBQ chicken version for a while, but I think I’ll have to DIY the sauce, so that’s step #1.

[/quote]

Make a low carb/no-carb BBQ sauce and you will further your king status. I can already smell the:

Ribs
BBQ Pizza
BBQ Burgers
BBQ Wings

How is the texture to this recipe, does it come out crisp or remain soft? The pizza’s looks…killer…! We’ve been eating pizza quiche or pizza fritata every week, just can’t get enough of that pizza taste.

I made the almond flour bread and it came out more like corn bread, which was cool enough to be eating bread again. Been using homemade almond flour which isn’t powdery like the store bought brand (which costs an arm, leg, and my first born) so I’m wondering if that’s the problem.

Vdiet I dropped 8 lbs and slightly under 2.5" off my belly, been about 2 months so far of HSM’s since ending vdiet and this is great, love the new forum! I almost had a heart attack when I saw this flat bread recipe pop up.

[quote]uv_deth wrote:
How is the texture to this recipe, does it come out crisp or remain soft? The pizza’s looks…killer…! We’ve been eating pizza quiche or pizza fritata every week, just can’t get enough of that pizza taste.

I made the almond flour bread and it came out more like corn bread, which was cool enough to be eating bread again. Been using homemade almond flour which isn’t powdery like the store bought brand (which costs an arm, leg, and my first born) so I’m wondering if that’s the problem.

Vdiet I dropped 8 lbs and slightly under 2.5" off my belly, been about 2 months so far of HSM’s since ending vdiet and this is great, love the new forum! I almost had a heart attack when I saw this flat bread recipe pop up. [/quote]

Texture is the best yet. It may not be “exactly” like pizza crust, but it’s very close and won’t “exactly” make ya fat. :wink: As you can see by this pic, it is sliceable and sturdy, especially given how many toppings I piled on!

The texture of the almond flour can make a big difference. Order it online in bulk, blanched for best results. Many of the almond flour cookbooks will tell you to never use unblanched (skins-on) because it just doesn’t work well in cooked recipes.

Here’s a pic of the raw ingredients. You can see how fine and light the blanched almond flour is, even with the herbs added. Good stuff!

Yeah, definetly making a buffalo chicken pizza tonight.

Couldn’t make the buffalo chicken, no hot sauce and no cheese. Instead made a regular pizza with chicken, spinach and homemade tomato sauce (canned sauce, oregano, garlic, parm)

Crust

Pizza