Biotest

Flameout Refrigeration

I’m a college student – one who doesn’t have a fridge in his room.
Is it very important that Flameout is refrigerated?

I take at least 1 serving per day, so no individual bottle is open for more than 22 days after first opening.

Just saw that label recommendation for the first time… great.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

I only refrigerate it when I throw the single serving in my lunch bag the night before I take it to work. I don’t think it’s a big deal, but I could be wrong. Then again, my home’s temperature has never been above 74 degrees all year so my ambient temp. may be a lot lower than the norm, especially if you don’t have/use air conditioning.

[quote]Fyzjin2 wrote:
Is it very important that Flameout is refrigerated?

I take at least 1 serving per day, so no individual bottle is open for more than 22 days after first opening.[/quote]
It’s mostly to a safeguard against the oils going bad. If you’re really running through the bottle that quickly, I’d say you Should (capital “S” with an asterisk “should”) be okay as long as it’s kept cool and out of light, like in a cabinet or drawer or something.

But for 100% safety and freshness, a fridge is ideal, just like with butter, eggs, milk, cold cuts, etc. because fish oil is… fish… oil.

You probably don’t have access to a freezer either, then? Some people just keep Flameout in the freezer, which also helps cut down on fish-burps too.

Thanks for the replies, Chris and Daltron!

Unfortunately, I don’t have access to a freezer either. I mean, there is the public fridge, but I don’t trust it.

I’ve been taking fish oil capsules for over 6 years now, and Flameout is the first that’s required refrigeration. Any reason why?
Is Biotest perhaps just taking more precautions than other companies?

omega-3 's are mainly polyunsaturated, which their structure isn’t stable against heat/ light/ general oxidation. Usually vit E, an antioxidant, is added in so it combats the oxidation and reduces the chances of going rancid.