Biotest

Flameout or Curcumin?

I have been taking a popular “Flex” joint support. I like this product, but swallowing all those pills in the pack is tedious. I have also tried their “Omega”, and like pretty much all fish oil capsule products I have taken before, it gave me horrendous heartburn. Probably because the oil inside the capsule is semi-rancid (if it tastes and smells strongly fishy, it’s oxidized and that’s not good!). There’s a liquid product out there which is the only fish oil I have ever been able to take, and that’s because it’s mixed with powerful anti-oxidants (like lemon) so it doesn’t go/taste rancid (they don’t need to hide it in a capsule)

Has anyone experienced the fishy after-taste with Flameout? Has anyone tried Flameout and Curcumin and has an opinion on which has provided more effective anti-inflammatory effects? I know the 2 products are not directly comparable, as Omegas have all sort of other supposedly beneficial effects, but it’s the general joint support/soreness benefits I am after.

For ease of ordering, I’m seeing if I can switch all my supps over to Biotest. I use Plazma and ZMA and Finibars. Long post, apologies.

Thanks!

I would make Flameout a priority over curcumin for anti-inflammatory benefits and for all around health. Any time I drop Flameout for what ever reason I can feel a difference in my bones ( okay really my joints, but you know what I mean ).

Then if you can afford it add in curcumin as needed.

No issues with fishy burps for me. As always, just my thoughts.

<a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/flameout"target=“new”>Flameout is deodorized and purified by molecular distillation and tested for PCBs, dioxins, mercury, and other heavy-metal contaminants. So basically, it’s probably the least “fishy” of all fish-oil based supplements. Most people don’t notice anything when taking it, though if you take a big sniff of the bottle it’s definitely highly concentrated fish oil. One solution for those sensitive to fish oil products is to take them with food, right before a meal or during the meal. Taking fish oil AFTER a meal may lead to more fishy burps in some people. Also, keep your fish oil in the fridge.

As you wrote, Flameout and <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/curcumin"target=“new”>Curcumin work via different mechanisms and have unique benefits all their own. What I personally do is take 4 capsules of Flameout daily (with evening meal) then use two capsules of Curcumin daily as an overall health supplement. If I’m feeling banged up, I’ll increase the Curcumin to full dosage for a week or so and maybe even bump the Flameout to 6 capsules per day for a few days.

Thanks both - the timing is an interesting point, I do tend to take existing one AFTER my evening meal. I’ll add some Flameout to my next order and see how that goes along taking it before a smaller meal (which would be lunch, for me).

Besides the products I mentioned, I also am addicted to Metabolic Drive (choc, in oatmeal, with some peanut butter - amazing), so this was the last piece of my stack.

I personally prefer curcumin, 2 x 500mg. Have always felt that more than Flameout. I take both though :slight_smile:

Have a question though, when do you guys take curcumin? It has anti-inflammatory effects, yet there have been a ton of studies on how antioxidants like vitamin C/E should not taken before or after a workout because the reactive oxygen species are a necessary part of training and muscular adaptations. I would take them in the evening, well after my workout, but lately I have been doing two-a-days so that throws a wrinkle in my plan, lol.

Flameout is very high quality. The key here is that it’s also in the re-estirified triglyceride form. This makes them digest better and reduces them from oxidizing in the body. It also drastically improved bioavailibility. Giant gel caps though since basically around a gram or so per capsule (full 4 caps serving yields a combined EPA/DHA content @ 3 grams, that’s a nice hefty dose).

It’s also very nice that they include the moisture packets in the bottle. Never seen that done for fish oil so I was very impressed by that touch. I rank Flameout up there with the very trustworthy brand of fish oils that is Nordic-ally inclined :wink:

If joints are very painful and you don’t suffer from some actual serious injury, consider getting some good boswellia extract. That acts like a natural NSAID. It works on LOX I believe.

I’ve never taken Curcumin, but I’ve been taking Flameout for several years now. If you compare Flameout against any high-quality fish oil pill (like the well known Nordic brand), you’ll see that Flameout is much cheaper per gram of EPA & DHA delivered.

Also, every other fish oil pill on the market gives you much more EPA than DHA (as there is naturally more EPA than DHA in raw fish oil). Most doctors will say that the ratio doesn’t matter, as the body can convert EPA to DHA, but Biotest has found research showing that men have difficulty converting EPA to DHA.

Consequently, they have engineered Flameout to have much more DHA than EPA. In addition, Flameout contains CLA ,which isn’t found in most fish oil pills.

Up until recently I was taking just 1 pill a day, so the bottles were open for 3 months before I finished them. I kept the first bottle I bought in a closet and started to get fishy burps after a month or so. After that I started putting the bottles in the fridge after opening, and haven’t had a problem since.

I recently upped my dose to 4/day (2 in the morning and 2 at night) and sometimes forget to take the evening dose with dinner, so I sometimes take these pills by themselves later in the evening. So far, I still haven’t had any fishy burps. I have a pretty sensitive digestive system and every brand I tried before Flameout (including the Nordic brand) did give me fishy burps.

Without a doubt, I consider Flameout to be the best fish oil supplement on the market.

To be fair, the CLA dosage is vastly underdosed compared to what the studies use. Even then, the human studies are not very reliable and the results not too significant.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
To be fair, the CLA dosage is vastly underdosed compared to what the studies use. Even then, the human studies are not very reliable and the results not too significant. [/quote]

I forget if the studies on CLA used typical CLA or concentrated for the active isomers. The CLA in Flameout are concentrated for the two known active isomers.

Never tried Curcumin. I love Flameout! Never had any fishy taste. I’ve had problems with tendonitis and knee inflammation from working out since I was 19. I’m 39 now, and since starting Flameout, I don’t have those issues. I started taking it because of my elbows and shoulders. I can tell a world of difference.

I’m taking both of them everyday. Kind of two supps that I have adopted for the rest of my life.

I really like Flameout, I realize that when I don’t take it, my energy level drops significantly… I don’t know if there a link, but this is how I feel.

[quote]ourouk wrote:
I’m taking both of them everyday. Kind of two supps that I have adopted for the rest of my life.

I really like Flameout, I realize that when I don’t take it, my energy level drops significantly… I don’t know if there a link, but this is how I feel.

[/quote]

There could be a link. There’s so much new data for DHA/EPA that comes out quite frequently. DHA is currently being researched by big pharma. They are essentially trying to synthesize analogues for it so that they can patent it.

If I want to add Curcumin to my stack, 2 caps daily in the (late) evening, with the 4 caps Flameout, preparing my night-casein shake?