Biotest

Flameout DHA:EPA Ratio

Why is the DHA content higher than the EPA content? Every other fish oil I look at are the opposite. What am I missing?

It’s in the Flameout promotional literature.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
It’s in the Flameout promotional literature.[/quote]

Thanks

I was under the impression that it has to do with the anti-inflammatory properties…?

S

From Biotest:

I’m sure you’ve all heard of DHA and EPA, which are two of the omega-3 fatty acids researchers are most interested in. They’re simply elongated and desaturated versions of alpha-linoleic acid. Unfortunately, every fatty acid supplement we’re aware of contains a lot more EPA than DHA because fish naturally contain more EPA than DHA.

That’s fine for women because the biosynthesis of DHA is a lot higher in women than it is in men. Most researchers think it has to do with sex hormones, presumably estrogens. A strong stimulus with estrogens in lab subjects induces an increase in DHA status, while a Testosterone stimulus induces a decrease in DHA.

Men, of course, have a much higher risk of heart disease…

And men also have lower amounts of DHA ? despite eating the same amount of fatty acids as women ? but they have a higher incidence of heart attack (and presumably, other inflammatory conditions). As such, men need more DHA than women! Several studies have confirmed that fact.

DHA, in addition to having a anti-arrhythmic effect, reduces blood pressure and according to at least one study, even increases HDL (the good cholesterol) by 29% while EPA reduces it by 6.7%!.

Most of the benefits from fish oil come from DHA, not EPA. DHA is more expensive, however, so many manufacturers skew the mix towards EPA. EPA is also more likely of the two to be oxidized.

Interestingly, if you look at baby formula (the good, expensive stuff), it’s supplemented with DHA. It’s been a while since I’ve been down the formula aisle, but I don’t ever remember seeing formula with added EPA.

fwiw, if you do take >3g of fish oil daily, it’s recommended you take them with the anti-oxidants selenium and Vit E to protect against oxidation of the lipids.

Thanks for providing the info here, guys.

Zep: They’re right, you can find all that info on the product page: <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/flameout"target=“new”>Flameout

DHA is what is found in higher amounts in our brains, skin, sperm, cerebral cortex, testes, and eyes. It’s in baby/children formulas to aid in the development of their brains/cognitive functions. It’s slightly more expensive than EPA but at the end of the day, the two are similar in cost from a practical perspective.

EPA is what is found more in tissue cells (such as muscle cells). It’s a inhibitor of PGE2 as it competes for the enzymes used to convert the constituents of something like arachidonic acid into PGE2. Due to this, EPA has anti-inflammatory properties and is what is desired if inflammation is what one wishes to deal with.

Now, cell membranes do not have unlimited capacity for holding phospholipids, so while one may thing “hey, let’s just take tons of EPA!” that’s not necessarily a good idea as you reach a saturation point in which now you just have excess EPA circulating with the possibility of oxidization.

Why is the ratio in Flameout the ratio they are in? Most likely due to it being the standard ratio that most studies have utilized thus it’s the “standard” ratio used and referenced.