Biotest

Finicky Old Guy

Hello, I am 42 and 3+ years into crossfit. My problem is that regardless of what I do, I have a very tough time gaining weight (muscle or fat). I’ve eaten like a pig, I’ve eaten clean and dirty. I do exercise between 4 and 7 times a week and the workouts are pretty grueling.

I’m also digestively sensitive. Regarding protein, anything other than grassfed plain whey creates stinky effects. Artificial sweeteners and stevia also wreck me.

Lately I’ve committed myself to cleaner eating, plain grassfed protein, leucine and ZMA at night. A daily multivitamin with fish oil too.

My goal is to get bigger and stronger. My back squat has been stuck for almost a year! I do have excellent coaching and instruction. We had Sean Waxman give us a local seminar at one point.

Recommended to me (from Biotest support) was Plazma with Micro-PA.

Any other suggestions would be fantastic. I do have a full time job and support a young family. Translate to… at the end of the day, I don’t have tons of time to do prep. I’m sure I have forgotten some relevant detail but I think this sums me up fairly well.

Thanks!

Crossfit Games 2015!

Get the Plazma and also try this once a week

Several options for you. Most people with digestive issues can handle <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/plazma"target=“new”>Plazma just fine. If you’ve never taken care of proper workout nutrition before, then this will be just the thing you need most. It requires our liquid flavoring system though, which contains sucralose.

<a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/micro-pa"target=“new”>Micro-PA is a good choice too for muscle gains and fat loss, but given your dilemma (can’t gain), I’d say the #1 choice would be <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/indigo-3g"target=“new”>Indigo-3G. People who have issues gaining any type of weight often have the same underlying problems as those who gain too easily: dysfunctional fat cells and poor nutrient uptake mechanisms. Indigo-3G is a selective nutrient partitioning agent that will take care of these underlying issues. Hit that link for all the details.

BTW, we also have an article coming out next about calories. Some of that info may be right up your alley.

Excellent and thanks. Do any of these supplements mentioned have any effect on sleep generally?

I’ll try the pig out for sure.

Oh yeah, @ 42 I don’t recover like I used to. Any help for that?

[quote]avatar71 wrote:
Excellent and thanks. Do any of these supplements mentioned have any effect on sleep generally?

[/quote]

No. If you need better sleep quality though, nothing beats <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/z-12"target=“new”>Z-12.

[quote]avatar71 wrote:
Oh yeah, @ 42 I don’t recover like I used to. Any help for that? [/quote]

That’s one of the main benefits of Plazma and Mag-10.

OP, definitely another vote for Plazma. More importantly though, I think in the grand scheme of things, you really need to figure out your TDEE more accurately. Saying that you eat like a pig means next to nothing if you don’t know the amount you are taking in vs. TDEE. The answer for most people asking or wondering how come they are not getting bigger is simple, eat more. When one replies back “but I already eat a lot!” the answer to that is still the same thing, EAT MORE.

If what you are eating currently is not causing growth, EAT MORE. Unless you have some sort of medical condition or a parasite living in you, the reason for your dilemma is most likely that you are not eating enough.

Thanks for your assistance.

I did receive my 1st bottle of Indigo. I see that it’s recommended that I take it before dinner. Can I take 1st thing in the morning?

Indigo-3G is best used before taking your workout nutrition drink (assuming Plazma is being used for training) on training days or before your biggest / carbiest meal on non-training days.

Thanks Chris!

Being a crossfitter, consuming during a workout leads to vomit.

I get what to do on off days.

For training days should I still focus on taking it prior to my carbiest meal?

Aside, what carbs do you prefer? Certainly not a slurpee?

We have some top CrossFitter (CrossFit Games athletes) using Plazma before and during workouts. It’s specially designed for intra-workout. Now, timing could be an issue with certain WODS done against the clock of course, but that’s where the pre-load comes in 15 minutes or so before training. But yes, pre-solid meal is fine too if not using workout nutrition.

That aside, for solid food carb sources, check this out: <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1617"target=“new”>Indigo-3G Carb Guide

If by “recovery help” you’re talking soreness, Flameout and Curcumin are both solid anti-inflammatory products. I’ve used both. Flameout my stronger recommendation, it’s a fish oil that is surprisingly anti-inflammatory and gentle on my stomach. Beyond that, I can offer a two suggestions: 1.) epsom salt bath. I’m 37 and have a wife and kid - it’s hard to get these in, but if you can fill a tub while you do other things and grab 15-20 minutes once a week it might really help. 2.) Astraxanthin. It’s the pink/orange pigment in salmon that some suspects allows them to swim up-stream. I find that 10-20 mg / day really helps.

Personally, I’ve found nothing’s helped re-shape me like Indigo, Plazma and MAG-10 - so I can attest to CS’s recommendation.

Hope it helps. Good luck!

[quote]wgraveman wrote:
If by “recovery help” you’re talking soreness, Flameout and Curcumin are both solid anti-inflammatory products. I’ve used both. Flameout my stronger recommendation, it’s a fish oil that is surprisingly anti-inflammatory and gentle on my stomach. Beyond that, I can offer a two suggestions: 1.) epsom salt bath. I’m 37 and have a wife and kid - it’s hard to get these in, but if you can fill a tub while you do other things and grab 15-20 minutes once a week it might really help. 2.) Astraxanthin. It’s the pink/orange pigment in salmon that some suspects allows them to swim up-stream. I find that 10-20 mg / day really helps.

Personally, I’ve found nothing’s helped re-shape me like Indigo, Plazma and MAG-10 - so I can attest to CS’s recommendation.

Hope it helps. Good luck![/quote]

Solid advice, I think. I’d add that although Plazma seems to help with soreness for me nothing combats it like creatine. I recover roughly 35% faster when on creatine. That’s a huge improvement when trying to schedule a four-day split.

Thanks guys. I’ve started Indigo and have experienced zero negatives. Next will be Indigo with the Plazma.

Love the baths and I get to them when I can.

So far all is well and I thank you.