Biotest

Finibar Pre-Workout Timing

Quick question: what’s the ideal length pre-training to take Finibar? I thought I had seen it on here somewhere but had never ordered them. Now that I have, I can’t find it. I’ve been going about 60 minutes.

[center] [/center]

There are no hard and fast rules for when to eat <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/finibar-competition-bar"target=“new”>Finibars pre-training. In fact, many professional athletes use them before and during their events.

Roughly though, 30-60 minutes is in the ballpark. I personally prefer a Finibar about an hour before training.

So would this mean you take you indigo 90 mins pre workout then finibar 30 mins later? or can u mix finibar and indigo

If you’re also using <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/indigo-3g"target=“new”>Indigo-3G, take Indigo about 30 minutes before eating the Finibar, then train 30-60 minutes later. Indigo-3G is active in the blood for at least 6 hours per dose, so you’re well-covered during that time period.

Now, for those on full-dose Indigo-3G (two servings of six capsules per day) and needing to increase their carbs to take advantage of the nutrient repartitioning effect, a Finibar can be eaten at any time. (I had 4 of them on a non-training day over the weekend.)

Chris, Could you explain to me the types of carbohydrates in Finibars? How are they different from solid food such as rice and from the peri-workout carbs in Plazma and Anaconda? I just want to have an idea what to relate the bars to.

I’ve been taking them before 6am football practices (3x a week) then again an hour before I workout (4-5x a week). Really like them - just curious to know a bit more about them.

Finibars primarily use myogenic (functional) carbohydrates consisting of oligodextrin and isomaltulose. In addition to being protein-sparing and keeping the body from metabolizing its muscle and protein sources for fuel, these particular carbohydrates also enhance nutrient uptake into muscle. FYI, rice oligodextrin has also been used to re-hydrate dehydration victims. It’s soothing to the gut and seems to pull water into the right tissues.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
If you’re also using <a href="http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/indigo-3g"target=“new”>Indigo-3G, take Indigo about 30 minutes before eating the Finibar, then train 30-60 minutes later. Indigo-3G is active in the blood for at least 6 hours per dose, so you’re well-covered during that time period.
[/quote]

CS, could you clarify the aforementioned example, please? In that scenario we would be eating the Finibar 15-45 minutes before beginning our periWO, assuming we start periWO 15 minutes before starting to train. Would eating that Finibar (with the fat and slower digesting protein and carbs) so close to the Plazma effect Plazma’s rapid acting benefits?

iDrDan, we’ve never found this to be an issue. If you want to make sure, just eat the Finibar earlier. I’ve found that even having a Finibar two hours before a workout increased my performance in that workout vs. not having it. There is no “crash” from a Finibar as there often is with lesser carbohydrate containing “power” bars.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
iDrDan, we’ve never found this to be an issue. If you want to make sure, just eat the Finibar earlier. I’ve found that even having a Finibar two hours before a workout increased my performance in that workout vs. not having it. There is no “crash” from a Finibar as there often is with lesser carbohydrate containing “power” bars. [/quote]

Cool. Thanks, CS. I agree and feel that my workout is best when I eat 1-2 FINiBARs 1-2 hours preWO. Unfortunately that’s only possible on the weekends. I would like to eat the FINiBAR earlier but I’m already up to eat/lift too early in the weekday mornings haha

@CS - Do you see any problems with finibars being used for all meals in a day? Coming up to a very busy time of year and some days taking the time to make a meal isn’t an option. Breakfast and lunch are usually Finibar and MD or Finibar and MAG-10, pulses throughout the day, Finibar pre w/o, Plazma, then MAG-10 pulse and maybe another Finibar MAG-10 for dinner. Is there any disadvantage to this over animal protein?

Thanks!

[quote]robstein wrote:
@CS - Do you see any problems with finibars being used for all meals in a day? Coming up to a very busy time of year and some days taking the time to make a meal isn’t an option. Breakfast and lunch are usually finibar and MD or finibar and Mag 10, pulses throughout the day, finibar pre w/o, plazma, then mag 10 pulse and maybe another finibar mag 10 for dinner. Is there any disadvantage to this over animal protein?

Thanks![/quote]

No problem at all when you’re busy, though of course you do need vegetables and other good nutrition for the long term. A serving of <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/flameout"target=“new”>Flameout per day would help, as would a servings of <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/superfood"target=“new”>Superfood.

We suggest one solid meal per day to give you all the other good nutrition you need, but an occasional “pulse and bar day” is fine.