Biotest

Finally Getting My V-Diet On!

Hey All,

I have read T-Nation articles for many years and am finally giving the V-Diet a try. In the past I have always stayed on top of my weight by eating fairly well and lifting. For the past six months I have all but quit lifting and now only do cardio three times a week.

This led to gaining nearly 20lbs between that and starting graduate school last year. Decided I needed a serious change because I hate my current condition and definitely don’t want to buy all new clothes if I keep gaining weight!

I’m a little behind on logging, today is day 4. On day 1 I weighed 143lbs and my measurements are below. I also took day 1 photos for comparison. So far I have been pretty hungry between shakes and my tummy-rumbling is making my co-workers look at me funny.

Up until last night I have also had a lot of trouble sleeping, which I believe is from the HOT-ROX. A little experimenting with it should fix the problem. I think I may just stick with HOT-ROX in the morning.

I have cheated once, by having a slice of cheese last night in a moment of weakness. That’s why I decided I needed to log my progress so I’m held responsible for my actions. I really want to make the most of this diet and not cheat myself. Any encouragement is appreciated.

Starting Measurements:
Neck: 12.5
Shoulders: 39.8
Chest Upper: 33
Chest Lower: 30.5
Waist-smallest: 28
Hips under bone: 34
Hips at largest: 40
R/L Upper Leg: 24.5/24.25
R/L Lower Leg: 16.25/16
R/L Upper Arm: 12.5/12.5
R/L Ankle: 9.5/9.25
Weight: 143

Day 1: 60 min walk
Day 2: 45 min walk & workout 1
Sumo Squat (crazy line at the squat rack)
50lbs x 45 reps total
Lat Pulldown
90lbs x 23 reps total
Dumbbell Bench Press
30lbs x 22 reps total
Ball Situps (no roller)
50 total
Day 3: 30 min roller blading

Today I will do workout 2 and another 60 minute walk with my dog. I’m also supposed to go out night-fishing late this evening so I’m going to save one of my protein scoops for that. More to follow…

Side View…

Wow, sorry those pictures are ridiculously gigantic! Guess that’s more motivation…

Day four is complete!

Workout:
60 min NEPA walk
Reverse Lunge (was very sore from Monday’s squats so I did body weight)
40 total
Bent Row
40lbs x 40 total
Push Press
30lbs x 40 total
Barbell Curl
30lbs x 40 total
Reverse Curl (wow these hurt–in a good way)
40 total

I had all of my shakes, saving one for tonights fishing trip. Also, I noticed that the recovery shake had a cocoa taste to it so I made hot chocolate out of it and it was amazing! Feeling fairly sore, mostly in my legs, but love that the workouts are quick. Usually I spend an hour in the gym but my first two workouts only took 25 and 35 minutes.

Also, I forgot a few stats:
Height: 63in

Day 5:
Felt great this morning so I decided to jump on the scale. 139.6! Down 3.4lbs! I know weight fluctuation will drive me crazy so I’ll stay off the scale until my meal day.

Starting to have trouble getting down the morning shake so I reduced the amount of flax and added pumpkin spice to the vanilla powder. Much better. The vanilla is much too sweet which actually surprises me since I have such a sweet tooth. All of the forum posts on here have been extremely helpful and motivating. More later…

Day 6: TGIF!
Yesterday went fairly well. I have found that 2pm is my hardest time during the day. Below is the shake times I try to stick with. I made a trip to the mall after work and walked around for a few hours. We went to Red Robin and I watched someone eat a cheeseburger, fries, and two beers. The bartender offered me free beer AND ice cream from orders that she messed up so that was difficult to turn down.

Luckily I just had a shake (literally in the parking lot) so I just drank an unsweetened ice tea and was good to go. Today is workout #3 and I’m excited after reading some more articles. The one that hit home for me was “You’re Capable of More” when Chris said, “Magically, the “unchallenging” workout became too tough for them when I made them actually follow the workout and put down their cell phones.” Not that I’ve been slacking, but I could pick it up a bit. Bring on the Deadlifts!

Diet Schedule:
8am - 1 HOT-ROX w/water
9am - Shake 1 (2 scoops protein, 2 superfood, 1 flaxseed, 1 FO)
12pm - Shake 2 (1 protein, 1 FO)
3pm - Shake 3 (2 protein, 1 FO)
6pm - Shake 4 (1 protein, 2 SF, 1 flaxseed, 1 FO)
9pm - Shake 5 (2 protein, PB, 1 FO)
Workout: 2 scoops recovery

Day 6 down!

Worse part about today was our Friday seminar speech where there is always cookies and whatnot. Everyone in that room was mowing down. I made it through though, even with my peers calling me crazy and validating for me. “You look fine” “what’s one cupcake?”.

The best part was today’s workout! I’ve never done hand walkouts before and they were not easy. I really wanted to quit at 20, but then the guy in front of me started playing with his belly roll…so I finished to 40. Thank you random- inappropriate guy for motivating me. Also survived a trip to the store today for green tea and spices. Made a vanilla shake with apple pie spice today which was great. Managed to make it out of the store without chocolate smeared on my face.

Just finished my recovery shake (of which I highly recommend the chocolate flavor) and headed out for an hour walk with the pooch. More later!

Workout 3:
Dead lift - 100lbs x 40 total
Decline bench - 25 x 40 total
Lat Pulldown - 80 x 40 total
Hand walkout - 40!
60 min walk

Day Seven:
Goal for this weekend is to avoid BBQ parties and booze. So this morning I loaded up my dog and cooler full of shakes and drove to the beach. I may have gone a little overboard because I love to sprint on the beach with the pooch but I’ll just call that my walk today. Otherwise it was a great retreat. When I got home I was famished so I made half a bullion cube (5 cal) in a bowl of hot water. It was amazing. I won’t do that often but I was really craving something savory.

Trying to decide if I’ll do my timed workout this evening or tomorrow. Pretty sore today. Also, I figured out I was doing the hand walkouts incorrectly which would explain why they were so difficult.

Tomorrow will be my HSM! So excited to weigh in the morning and post results! More later!

Day 7 Down!
Just finished my first V-burn challenge. Two words: Squat Thrust. Ouch. I’m doing the intermediate program, so my challenge is as follows:
A1 Jump Squat
A2 Hand Walkout ? from knees or toes
A3 Single-Leg Deadlift ? arms out to sides
A4 Push-Up ? clap
A5 Rope Jumping or Jumping Jack
A6 Reverse Lunge ? twist
A7 Pike Push-Up
A8 Squat Thrust
10 Reps per exercise per circuit
6 circuits total
I won’t lie, this kicked my butt. In my nine years in the Army National Guard I have never had a workout this intense. I’ll admit I had to do the Hand Walkouts and the Clap Pushups mostly on my knees. All of that being said, I’m pretty happy with my time and scared about having to beat it next week. DRUM ROLL PLEASE… 34:21!!! Boom! I kicked my own ass.
Worse part about this was that I tried out a new extract and made a vanilla-peppermint shake. Way too much peppermint, which led to a difficult, burpy workout. Gross.
More later!

Day 8 Down!
Today was great. Went kayaking for a few hours in lieu of my walk. Extremely sore from yesterday’s V-burn and I’m thinking I might have to invest in a foam roller. This was also my HSM day! I went out to a snazzy steakhouse and had their filet mignon, grilled peppers, salad, and mixed fresh fruit for dessert. Unfortunately, they didn’t have much for whole grains. I had planned on taking a picture, but by the time it got to the table I was so excited I totally forgot. I made sure to face a window too so I didn’t have to watch everyone else eat beautiful decadent desserts. I made sure to chew slowly, put my fork down between each bite, and enjoyed every second. It honestly was the best eating experience I think I’ve ever had. Next week I would like to make a meal at home, but it was nice to finally go out today.
Weighed myself this morning at came in at 139. So in one week I’m down 4 pounds. Definitely should have heeded Chris’s advise and waited to weigh myself because I would have been much happier with the results if I hadn’t cheated and weighed a few days ago. I will have more will power this week and wait until my HSM day.
Excited for my next week of progress…More later!

Day Nine Down!
Happy Labor Day everyone! Spent some quality time at the pool and getting stuff done at work today. First day after my HSM and I feel pretty good. I’ve been really tired but to no fault of the diet. My workout today went well. Today was week 2, so the rest period was down to 25 seconds. This is such a short amount of time compared to my old workout routine. I was hoping that since it’s a holiday the campus gym would be empty, but they also shortened hours today so it was jam packed. Couldn’t get on a squat rack again, but I did the front squats with 50lbs for longer reps.

I could have done a heavier weight but its difficult to start out without a rack to set myself up. Maybe next week I’ll try early morning and hope for better luck. Beginning of the semester at the campus gym is like January 1st every year…full of hopefuls who will stop coming two weeks later. But I digress.

Workout 5:
Front Squat - 50lbs x 30 total
Lat Pulldown - 100lbs x 20 total
Bench Press - 35lbs dumbbells each x 17 total
Abs (no roller) - feet supported situps 75 total
Going for an hour walk tonight then hitting the sack early so I can be up for class in the morning. More later!

Day 10 down!
Another day behind me. Had all my shakes as usual and squeezed in a 30 min walk. Made it through another restaurant visit without drooling on the table too. Excited for tomorrows workout! More later.

Day 11 down!

Had all of my shakes as usual, except ate the peanut butter out of my measuring spoon rather than adding it to the shake, yum! Was only hungry at 2pm but otherwise just fine. Workout six was today and it showed me how weak my hands and forearms are. Hopefully these workouts will help that. I wear gloves but my hands are stupid small (think burger king whopper commersial).
Reverse lunge - 30lb dumbbells x 40
Bent row - 30lb dumbbells x 40
Push press - 20lb dumbbells x 42
Barbell curl - 30lb x 40
Reverse crunch - 40
Walked on the treadmill for 30 min since it was raining all day.

I’m a little worried about tomorrow. I’m in charge of a graduate school/science research reception and there will be lots of beer and food. I’m going to be the weird girl who has a shake. But I’m dedicated so if that’s the only thing the deans think is strange about me after I MC the reception I’ll be good to go! More later…

Day 11 down!

Had all of my shakes as usual, except ate the peanut butter out of my measuring spoon rather than adding it to the shake, yum! Was only hungry at 2pm but otherwise just fine. Workout six was today and it showed me how weak my hands and forearms are. Hopefully these workouts will help that. I wear gloves but my hands are stupid small (think burger king whopper commersial).
Reverse lunge - 30lb dumbbells x 40
Bent row - 30lb dumbbells x 40
Push press - 20lb dumbbells x 42
Barbell curl - 30lb x 40
Reverse crunch - 40
Walked on the treadmill for 30 min since it was raining all day.

I’m a little worried about tomorrow. I’m in charge of a graduate school/science research reception and there will be lots of beer and food. I’m going to be the weird girl who has a shake. But I’m dedicated so if that’s the only thing the deans think is strange about me after I MC the reception I’ll be good to go! More later…

Day 12 Down!
Yesterday was very awkward to say the least. I was the “master of ceremonies” for a graduate school reception last night. It went really well and my dress fit great! It was strange though because there was a dinner and I was the only one in the entire room not eating. So I fidgeted with my water bottle while everyone else ate and looked at me strange. But I felt great, didn’t have to worry about spilling food on myself, or getting sick from being so nervous. Then I got my walk in with the pooch afterwards.

Now for the next trial. I am in the Army National Guard and have drill this weekend. I will be travelling for drill (3 hours) and just recently transferred so this will be my first time with this unit. Being the new girl who only drinks shakes should be interesting. Luckily I will be in processing so it shouldn’t be too strenuous. Also, I will have to do my V-burn challenge in the barracks. These people are going to think I am insane! Should be fun. I think I’m going to do my HSM on Monday once I am back. I thought about doing it today but I forgot to weigh myself this morning so I’m going to wait. More later!

Day 13
This day has been an epic fail. Had a dentist appointment first thing this morning, meetings all day that went over the time scheduled, told my boyfriend that I would have my solid meal today before I left, and needed to meet with my new roommate to give him the key. all of that put togetherled to me having my solid meal without weighing in this morning and I missed my workout today. now I’m getting in the car for a three hour trip and I’m disappointed at how today went.

on a positive note, my meal was fantastic!! My boyfriend made us swordfish, broccoli, salad, rice, and mixed fruit for dessert. It was so good I had to stop myself from having a second helping, even though I wasn’t hungry. Totally worth not eating the mediocre food at the reception yesterday.

So now the plan of action is to continue with my shakes, do the v-burn challenge tomorrow, then do weight, measurements, and pictures Monday morning. Hopefully I’ll never miss another workout, not cool. More later!

Day 14 down!
Yesterday went fairly well. I managed to stick to my shakes through going to the chow hall and watching everyone eat ice cream. I ended up having my afternoon shake a couple hours late and didnt have my last shake at all since I went to bed really early. Word is I should be getting done early today so I’ll be able to do my V burn challenge this evening when I get home. More later!

Day 15 Down!

Feeling pretty awesome about yesterday. Finished my last day of drill, drove home, and did my V-burn challenge. This week I was able to do the hand walkouts on my toes instead of my knees. The clap pushups I still did from my knees though to keep from breaking my nose. :slight_smile:

This time I had a lot of recovery time (since wednesday) and I wrote out the workouts on a piece of cardboard. Last week it took me longer because I kept checking my phone for the next workout I needed to do. So with those two things in mind…my time was crazy. 19:35! Now I’m seriously nervous about beating this time next week. But the workout was intense and I feel great about my progress.

During drill I was told I would have to do my PT test (which includes a 2 mile run) at my October drill. I felt like a douche, but I told my leadership about my diet and that I was worried about only having 2 weeks to prep for the run. They were really great about it and said I could take the test in November since I just transferred. So an extra month to work on my run time! Yahoo!

Today is day 16, and I weighed in this morning at 136.8! Down 6.2lbs total. I think I should increase all of my walks to 60min (I’ve done a lot of 30min walks lately) to maximize my results. Also did my workout this morning, but I will post that tonight or tomorrow morning in addition to progress pictures. More later!

Day 16 Down!

Took week 2 progress pictures. You can’t see a huge difference but I want to keep track so I can stay focused. I did my workout in the morning which was way better since the gym wasn’t nearly as busy. Unfortunately the squat rack was packed again (boo). I had a workout buddy as well this time which helped with my bench press. However, I got a little overzealous and did an extra 10 reps of each exercise.

Front Squat: 50lbs x 30 total
Dumbbell Bench Press: 35lbs each x 30 total
Lat Pulldown: 100lbs x 30 total
Large Ball Situps: 60 total