Biotest

Fiber One Yogurt- Inulin/Chicory Root

Hey Chris (and all),

As it stands, my diet falls under 35g of carbs on most days, the vast majority of which comes from leafy veggies and nuts. Other than that, it’s pretty much healthy fats and lean meats (and Metabolic Drive)… and I’ve never, ever felt better. I’m getting leaner by the day, I have loads of energy, I find it much easier to concentrate in class, and I don’t have any cravings for carbohydrates. I really just don’t yearn for them and haven’t since starting to live the “V Life”.

My issue is that I haven’t been going to the bathroom regularly at all, and Metamucil/loads of veggies/anything else really, isn’t helping all that much. The one thing I know gets me moving and regular, though, is chicory root (inulin), the kind found in Fiber One bars/yogurts.

The bars are loaded with sugar and crap and never used to satisfy me, but the yogurt on contains 4g of sugar in a container and only 13g carbs total. Would adding in a couple yogurts a day send me spiraling in the opposite direction/should they be okay to eat following this particular type of lifestyle?

Thanks!

John

Try some chewble fibre tablet etc maybe?

Benefibre usually works for me as well, or even try adding some beans to ur diet, they usually clear me out haha

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
Try some chewble fibre tablet etc maybe?[/quote]

All the fiber tabs I’ve found either 1) taste like crap, 2) are loaded with sugar, or 3) don’t work all that well.

I haven’t tried Benefiber, although I’ll be totally honest- if I could avoid choking down more fiber drinks, I’d like to. I’ll do whatever I have to, but I’d rather be able to have a yogurt or two and enjoy my veggies and be set. I rarely even eat fruit (some blackberries or strawberries pre-workout or basketball game, and even then not all that often) so my sugar intake is already almost nil.

Then again, if the consensus is that these are just total shit and shouldn’t be eaten, I won’t eat 'em.

Thanks for the help and suggestion!

I assume you are looking for something because it is actually causing you physical symptoms/issues … personally (avoiding TMI here), I just plain go less now that I eat this way. I don’t have any actual problems with it … I just go less.

[quote]BradenW wrote:
I assume you are looking for something because it is actually causing you physical symptoms/issues … personally (avoiding TMI here), I just plain go less now that I eat this way. I don’t have any actual problems with it … I just go less.[/quote]

This is a good point. When dieting down especially, there’s less in and less out, as simple as that.

Also, making 95% or 100% healthy food choices, you’ll even notice that bowel movements don’t really stink anymore. Not saying it smells good, just saying that if the cat wonders into the bathroom she won’t keel over dead.

I’d also assume that the body simply “uses the food up” when you’re eating healthy. There’s naturally less waste since you’re not eating many wasteful things. (Gross simplification, I know.)

As for the yogurt, that doesn’t sound too bad, but if I need probiotics I’d rather just take a pill than eat 12 containers of yogurt for two weeks to get the same effect, you know?

I used to use sugar-free inulin tablets when needed, but since bumping up veggie intake (see cauliflower pizza crust and chili recipes) they just aren’t needed anymore.

Good article today at TNation on this topic: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/you_are_what_you_absorb

Thanks for the help, guys!

I guess I just “feel” like I should be going more as that’s what I’m used to, and for the past two months my, errr, frequency has been cut. Then again, I’m not having any cramping or bloating or pain, so you lot are most likely spot on.

I started taking a probiotic with my multi-v and omelet in the morning a few days ago, so there’s that as well.

By the way, Chris, I just dropped all the processed carbs/breads/foods cold turkey about 2 months ago and still have yet to have any real “OH MY GOD MUST. HAVE. DORITOS.” moments. Is it safe to say I’ve probably passed the point of no return? My meals revolve around eggs and turkey bacon and lean beef and chicken and turkey and fish and onions and spinach and… Christ, I’m making myself hungry. For meat, of course.

Sounds like you’re officially part of that whole clean-eating cult of weirdos now! Welcome!