Biotest

FFB Handbook Revisited

Chris,
Is there any chance of revising the FFB handbook? i think it was a great aricle and something a go back on from time to time.

also…
Iâ??m currently doing a carb restricted cut, staying below 100 grams which is a lot easier than I expected. To my estimates, I am actually closer to 50 than 100. Am I hurting myself by keeping my carbs this low. I train Monday thru Friday at 11am using German volume training, with a fasted cardio session Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 6am. I removed the carbs from my post workout drink by convincing myself I will utilize my fat stores more effectively if I only get carbs from veggies.

Thanks in advance

If your goal is mainly fat loss, then you’re not harming yourself by keeping carbs that low; however, as long as carbs are “spent” around the peri-workout period, then you’re not going to slow down your fat loss.

German Volume Training is pretty brutal, so I’d want some peri-workout nutrition with it. You could do that and keep in below 100g carbs for the daily total.

What you may want to think about is PRE-workout nutrition and MID-workout nutrition. (FINiBAR, Surge Workout Fuel etc.) I have a theory that these are more important than POST-workout nutrition for those with fat loss goals. So for those using a restricted carb plan, better to spend the allotted carbs there.

As for updating the FFB Handbook, that’s not a bad idea. Let me think about it and see if there’s anything worth adding or updated.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

What you may want to think about is PRE-workout nutrition and MID-workout nutrition. (FINiBAR, Surge Workout Fuel etc.) I have a theory that these are more important than POST-workout nutrition for those with fat loss goals. So for those using a restricted carb plan, better to spend the allotted carbs there.

[/quote]

Hey Chris, I noticed you posting more often about this idea and for about 4 weeks I was still adding carbs post-workout and was noticing that I was putting on weight around my midsection. I just finished my 2nd 6week cycle of HPMass so I was taking in much, much more calories than I’m used to and was fearing fat gain since I’m not really lean yet. I just needed to get out of “full body training” hell that I was doing for almost 2 years.

So I cut out post-workout carbs and only ingested about 50g carbs pre-workout and surely enough within a couple weeks my waist is back to normal while I’m putting on some size. Pretty cool, bloating went down and my strength gains are still going up. I gained 8 lbs in 12 weeks while keeping my waist pretty much exactly the same size 12 weeks ago. Hope that’s good cause I’m thinking about doing this moving forward.

[quote]uv_deth wrote:

[/quote]

Hey Chris, I noticed you posting more often about this idea and for about 4 weeks I was still adding carbs post-workout and was noticing that I was putting on weight around my midsection. I just finished my 2nd 6week cycle of HPMass so I was taking in much, much more calories than I’m used to and was fearing fat gain since I’m not really lean yet. I just needed to get out of “full body training” hell that I was doing for almost 2 years.

So I cut out post-workout carbs and only ingested about 50g carbs pre-workout and surely enough within a couple weeks my waist is back to normal while I’m putting on some size. Pretty cool, bloating went down and my strength gains are still going up. I gained 8 lbs in 12 weeks while keeping my waist pretty much exactly the same size 12 weeks ago. Hope that’s good cause I’m thinking about doing this moving forward.[/quote]

if a carb source is taken in preworkout wouldn’t that be somewhat counterproductive, seeing how i want to utilize fat burn for energy??

These two articles should clear things up for you, Marshmac:

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/488

Chris,

Just read the FFB handbook for the first time, and I’m impressed. I’m a FFFB (Future Former Fat Boy) and many of these things resounded deeply for me. For example, always being hungry, ie: never being ‘full’. That’s a tough one, and I think only mental toughness can beat it. I’ve tried all the standard ‘add more veggies’ and ‘drink water’ or ‘put your fork down between each bite’ approaches, and they simply don’t work. Only uber-strict resolve (like you said) works.

I often get the ‘man I wish I could eat and gain like you’ comments from SB (Skinny Bastards) at my gym, but when the majority of the gains are from fat, it’s not all that motivating. Also, I don’t know if you mentionned it, but all the extra fat gains don’t really translate into big strength gains, at least not for me. So it’s doubly frustrating that way. Oh well, that’s life.

Anyhoo, just thought I’d drop you a line and say thanks for penning that gem. I will bookmark it and refer to it often as I continue my quest to become a FFB. Enough whining, time for continued action. Cheers.

http://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/488

[/quote]

Chris,
i read these articles in the past but was able to get a bit more from them seeing how i knew what i was looking for.
thank you sir.

with that being said that leads me to my next questions.
i started my cut a little less than 2 months ago (lost 12lbs so far). in order to make this cut successful i decided its time to do cardio, so i began doing fasted cardio at 6am which will last about 30 mintes. i will then go back for my weight training session about 11am using German Volume Training (great program).

after my cardio session breakfast usually is 3 whole eggs and a lean peice of meat usually chicken breast. i’m also trying to keep my carb intake below the 100 grams mark and as preveiously mentioned i’m about half that. should i add a carb source like a fruit or oatmeal to my breakfast or is there no need because i’m only doing cardio and ab work.

thanks in advance
M

[quote]marshmac wrote:

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/488

[/quote]

Chris,
i read these articles in the past but was able to get a bit more from them seeing how i knew what i was looking for.
thank you sir.

with that being said that leads me to my next questions.
i started my cut a little less than 2 months ago (lost 12lbs so far). in order to make this cut successful i decided its time to do cardio, so i began doing fasted cardio at 6am which will last about 30 mintes. i will then go back for my weight training session about 11am using German Volume Training (great program). after my cardio session breakfast usually is 3 whole eggs and a lean peice of meat usually chicken breast. i’m also trying to keep my carb intake below the 100 grams mark and as preveiously mentioned i’m about half that. should i add a carb source like a fruit or oatmeal to my breakfast or is there no need because i’m only doing cardio and ab work.

thanks in advance
M[/quote]

Well, you do want some carbs pre-weight training. So don’t think of it as post-cardio nutrition, but rather pre-weight training nutrition.

Some prefer not to eat right after cardio to “keep the fat burning going” but I’d at least take aminos peri-cardio: MAG-10 or capsule form.

[quote]Achilles_Wrath wrote:
Chris,

Just read the FFB handbook for the first time, and I’m impressed. I’m a FFFB (Future Former Fat Boy) and many of these things resounded deeply for me. For example, always being hungry, ie: never being ‘full’. That’s a tough one, and I think only mental toughness can beat it. I’ve tried all the standard ‘add more veggies’ and ‘drink water’ or ‘put your fork down between each bite’ approaches, and they simply don’t work. Only uber-strict resolve (like you said) works.

I often get the ‘man I wish I could eat and gain like you’ comments from SB (Skinny Bastards) at my gym, but when the majority of the gains are from fat, it’s not all that motivating. Also, I don’t know if you mentionned it, but all the extra fat gains don’t really translate into big strength gains, at least not for me. So it’s doubly frustrating that way. Oh well, that’s life.

Anyhoo, just thought I’d drop you a line and say thanks for penning that gem. I will bookmark it and refer to it often as I continue my quest to become a FFB. Enough whining, time for continued action. Cheers.[/quote]

Ach,
i feel you pain brotha.
i started this lifting thing less than 4 years ago and i was about 308 and now i’m around 228 (avatar is over 1yr old). trust me when i say its not easy but you will reach a point when you ask yourself as hard as i train why did i just eat that. then you will begin to enjoy evil foods less. my wife asks me all the time how can i eat chicken every meal of the day, i say easy. but the thing that got me straight was good ol whey protein. its important to have a shake between meals. i would mix 2 scoops with the minimum suggested water so they where so think sometimes i needed a spoon. liquids can play a huge part in getting that full feel. i’m known for walking around with a gallon of water. but stay focused man, you just became a member of a great site, unlike the other BBing site the community here will encourage you and the administrators are knowledgeable.

Thanks man, that avi is over a year old? Looks pretty good man. You started at 308lbs??? Dude, that is INCREDIBLE. Congrats man. Definitely inspiring. I’m finding more and more articles by Chris Shugart and trying to absorb all of them. Great stuff.