Biotest

FFB 1st V-Diet

I am a FFB and I never really lost significant amounts of weight until around junior year of college. In college I created a lot of bad eating habits like eating very late, not sleeping much, drinking regularly, eating 3-4 servings of pasta at the dorm buffet etc. Junior year I tried to start eating better, working out and educating myself about the gym. But at the gym I applied a sort of monkey-see, monkey-do mentality. Of course there were some gains; I dropped about 30 pounds (from 200 unhealthy pounds) from changing some eating habits and being more physically active.

After college I worked as a waiter for several years and that’s when I dropped 10-15 more pounds from being on my feet for 10 - 12 hours a day. I think that’s when my body changed the most. This was despite the fact that I had essentially stopped going to the gym. I went from being fat to being skinny fat.

Fast-forward to 2007, I returned to New York, was looking for work and I made a friend who introduced me to the Art of Strength and I’ve been in the gym ever since. I did that for about 3 months until it got to expensive then I tried to design my own programs from the little knowledge I gained from the trainers at the gym, websites, etc. I trained like this for 2 years.

In 2009 I started law school (lots of sitting, eating and late nights) and met a friend who was much more experienced than me and learned a lot from him and continued to try and educate myself. Over the past two years I’ve been on The Texas Method, West Side for Skinny Bastards and several other programs. I gained strength and definitely learned to love fitness (and powerlifting). I started keeping a food, training and sleep journal and I’m hoping to continue to go strong on the V-Diet.

During the 6 weeks after the V-Diet my plan is to go on Dan John’s Mass Made Simple, and in MMS Dan John recommends that a person try and lean out prior to working MMS. So that’s my plan.

Here are my measurements as best as I could do them and pictures below:

Height: 5ft 8inches
Weight: 165 pounds
Neck: 14.5 inches
Shoulders: 44 inches
Chest - Upper: 40 inches
Chest - Lower: 37.5 inches
Waist - at Navel: 34 inches
Waist - at largest: 34.5 inches
Hips - at largest: 33.5 inches
Upper Arm - L: 13 inches
Upper Arm - R: 13 inches
Upper Leg - L: 24 inches
Upper Leg - R: 23.5 inches
Lower Leg - L: 16 inches
Lower Leg - R: 15.5 inches
Ankle - L: 9 inches
Ankle - R: 9 inches

I’ll be starting tomorrow, Mon June 13.

Good luck on the V-diet! Excited to see the results you have!

As a former law student, I feel your pain. It’s especially bad if you’re doing extra-curriculars, like journals or moot court. Hang in there and we’re here for you.

@KcThrows - Thanks! I’m looking forward to the results too!

@namanga2 - Tell me about it…I’m still recovering from finals haha

Day 1 on V-Diet

Woke up at 9:30 (a little later than I wanted to), took 2 HOT-ROX and went for my first NEPA walk (for 30 min).

Had my first shake at 11 am, and I plan on having the rest of my meals at 2pm, 5pm, 8pm, and my last shake at 11 pm. The shakes are thicker than I expected and taste delicious (I’m using the strawberry flavor first). The thickness might be a problem though because I don’t have access to a blender all the time because I travel between places. May have to purchase another one.

It’s about 1 pm and I’m starting to get a little hungry.

I have a few of those small blenders that work pretty well. Like the magic bullet I think it is. Doesn’t chop up the ice you put in well though. But you can buy make shift ones to carry around since they are so small.

Just got back from my first workout on the V-Diet and it was harder than I thought…my legs have been shaky today for some reason. Sticking to the rest time is great because it really cut out a lot of wasted time.

Workout 1:

Front Squats @ 135: I was able to get two 10 rep sets so I’ll increase the weight next week. My 5RM on the Back Squat is 225, but I very seldom do the Front Squat so I wanted to make sure I used an appropriate weight…maybe I went too light. However, my wrists were sore after, so I’ll have to work on wrist flexibility as well.

Lat Pulldown, underhand @ 160: Nice sets of 5.

DB Bench Press @ 60.

AB Wheel.

I drank 8 oz of Surge at the start of the workout and finished it off at the end. That stuff is SO SWEET…reminded me of something I liked when I was a kid, but it was a struggle getting it all down. I’ll probably add more water next time.

[quote]jjahls wrote:
However, my wrists were sore after, so I’ll have to work on wrist flexibility as well.
[/quote]
There are several options for how to hold the bar for front squats that don’t hurt your wrists. I personally balance the bar on my shoulders like the first picture. Others chose to use straps like the second pic. The important thing is your form with the weight. Get nice and deep and keep your back as vertical as possible (don’t fall forward).

Here is the 2nd pic with straps, looks like it didn’t post:

@hockeydawg, thanks! I tried the clean grip because I read that it’s safer…but I’ll try the cross grip next week and increase the weight closer to my back squat 5RM.

BTW super impressive gains on Indigo-3G!

[quote]jjahls wrote:
@hockeydawg, thanks! I tried the clean grip because I read that it’s safer…but I’ll try the cross grip next week and increase the weight closer to my back squat 5RM.

BTW super impressive gains on Indigo-3G![/quote]
Just to be clear, most people are not be able to front squat nearly the same amount of weight as their back squat, so for all intents it is a different exercise and you will have to play around a little bit to find your 5RM. With the cross grip, the tendency is for your elbows to roll down, so try keep your elbows on a horizontal plane (or slightly higher than) with your shoulders.

Thanks for following my log. I appreciate it!

I keep hearing everyone say Surge is so sweet! Am I just a sugar junkie? Its so bitter to me! What flavor did you get haha?

@ front squats, I found when I first started doing them back a few years it took a week tops to get used to the wrist strain. So if you still like doing them that way I’d say it will go away in no time!

@KcThrows…I got the Raspberry flavor and YES it is sooooooo sweeet. I thought I couldn’t stomach it…it’s something I tasted as a kid and liked, but I can’t put my tongue (finger) on it.

@hockeydawg, yes I’m well aware that I probably won’t be able to front squat 225…though I won’t lie, I did think about it. Haha

[quote]hockeydawg wrote:

[quote]jjahls wrote:
However, my wrists were sore after, so I’ll have to work on wrist flexibility as well.
[/quote]
There are several options for how to hold the bar for front squats that don’t hurt your wrists. I personally balance the bar on my shoulders like the first picture. Others chose to use straps like the second pic. The important thing is your form with the weight. Get nice and deep and keep your back as vertical as possible (don’t fall forward).[/quote]

That’s how I do it too.

[quote]jjahls wrote:
@KcThrows…I got the Raspberry flavor and YES it is sooooooo sweeet. I thought I couldn’t stomach it…it’s something I tasted as a kid and liked, but I can’t put my tongue (finger) on it.

@hockeydawg, yes I’m well aware that I probably won’t be able to front squat 225…though I won’t lie, I did think about it. Haha[/quote]

I have raspberry as well…maybe I’m over mixing it…followed the diet directions though. Regardless, I’ll be using way less water next time so I can chug mine haha!

Day 2 has been fine so far. Already went for my daily NEPA. I find that I’m the hungriest between Shake 1 and Shake 2. I wonder why that is.

I’m waiting on Shake 4 and my head is killing me. I’m actively trying to distract myself with some work, but haha it’s not working.

You can make it! I had to leave my place earlier today and picked up a quick extra 30 min of NEPA, and when I got back, shake time. This makes it easier to make time pass and once you get back, the shake is that much more satisfying.

Grind it out!

Day 2 is over and I’m halfway through Day 3. Just had my second weight workout and squeezed in a NEPA walk back home from the gym (also had one this morning too). I wonder if I get extra “points” for avoiding tourists on the way back…

Step-ups w/ 20 pound DB in each hand. I did 20 reps for each leg over 3 sets. I’ll probably go a couple pounds heavier next week.

BB Bent Over Rows, 5x8 @ 115, will go heavier next week.

BB Push Press, 5x8 @ 115…I think this weight was just right for Medium.

BB Curl 5x8 @ 65, I think this weight was just right for Medium.

Reverse Crunch, did the 40 reps over 3 sets…I might add a light dumbbell b/w the feet to make this a little more challenging.

Well done on the workout! The dumbbell makes the crunches MUCH harder, I assure you.