Biotest

Feeling Full with IF?

I have been following the leangains approach for 3-4 weeks now, although I haven’t tightened up my food/portion choices yet (still relatively healthy, although higher in carbs than ideal and at maintainence or just under). I find it pretty easy to skip breakfast and go to lunch and I enjoy that once or twice a day I can eat til I’m satisfied, rather than being hungry immediately after finishing a meal (perhaps that is the reason for the slow/no fat loss).

However, 4 years ago I lost quite a bit of weight (5-6kg) in 2 months through eating more regular small portions, which left me constantly feeling hungry. I went without any processed sugars for that entire period and was aiming for 1500-1700 kcal a day, which when starting at 6’1 and 82kg was not a lot. I’m not sure if I can face that feeling again, so was wondering whether IF would be appropriate. I am worried that the feeling of ‘fullness’ is hindering my progress though.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be that the very thing that makes IF easy to stick to, makes it ineffective also? I guess I considering a feeling of hunger as an indication that I’m dieting and therefore being successful, but is that all in my head? Any similar experiences would be appreciated.

You lost weight because you were under eating and dropped the sugar.

Being full doesn’t hinder fat loss, it makes it easy.

If you want to use IF go for it. There’s plenty of articles on here about it, personally I would follow a nate miyaki style of eating 3 meals a day. Though he has options for those that want to IF.

Thanks for the feedback. I think minimising sugar is key (at least for me), and I understand that there needs to be a caloric deficit in order to lose weight. If all this is true, then I am sure I will do well on IF as I find being hungry not too much of a problem and I like being full. It’s the area in between that I sometimes struggle with if that makes sense?? I’ll check out the Nate Miyaki style, thanks again!

Do you have a link to information regarding the Nate Miyaki style of eating. I can see he has written a few articles on T Nation, but wasn’t sure if you were referring to a specific article.

Read the last 3 specifically.

Thank you!

I’m not a fan of IF. Overrated in my book. But I do like an occasional 36 hour semi-fast using MAG-10. Look up our Pulse Fast plan here on TNation.

If most people used Indigo-3G, proper peri-workout nutrition, and dropped wheat and milk, they’d never have a body fat problem again, no crazy diet needed.

Cool Chris, I’ll take a look! Is what you’re recommending more of a maintenance protocol, or is it going to help reduce bodyfat? I would suspect I’m maybe 12-13% (some ab definition), but would like to get down to 8-9%, where I look more ripped. At which point I’d probably like to increase my strength (I’m a sprinter, so figure this would help my performance), even if that requires putting on a bit of lean mass.

First, forget the numbers. It’s about a look, not a number. People who focus on numbers, especially scale weight and seldom-accurate body fat percentage numbers, tend to just get skinny and weak looking rather than muscular and lean.

The best way to reduce body fat is to add muscle. Period. And you don’t build muscle by not eating for most of the day (IF.)

What I recommended leads to both muscle gain and fat loss, without any suffering.

I was offering numbers to give an indication of my current status. However, I totally agree with you, and posting a picture would have been a far better idea! I had a look at the pulsing strategy and it looks interesting. It says the stack is out of stock however. Can it be shipped to the UK? If not, are there equivalent products?

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

What I recommended leads to both muscle and gain fat, without any suffering.

[/quote]

Is this supposed to imply fat gain?

[quote]Maris958 wrote:

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

What I recommended leads to both muscle and gain fat, without any suffering.

[/quote]

Is this supposed to imply fat gain?[/quote]

Sorry, typo. I fixed it.

[quote]Maris958 wrote:
I was offering numbers to give an indication of my current status. However, I totally agree with you, and posting a picture would have been a far better idea! I had a look at the pulsing strategy and it looks interesting. It says the stack is out of stock however. Can it be shipped to the UK? If not, are there equivalent products?[/quote]

It’s not out of stock, just the package is no longer sold as the MAG-10 formula was improved. You just buy the stuff separately now. Yes, it ships to the UK.

Note: Where the Pulse Fast article says “scoop” replace with “serving” for the new MAG-10, which is two scoops.

Ok cool. Thanks for clarifying Chris, and thanks for the info. I’ll have a deeper look into the MAG-10!